View Poll Results: Did your PRE screen crack.

Voters
1133. You may not vote on this poll
  • No - still in good condition

645 56.93%
  • Yes - but I dropped or bumped it

90 7.94%
  • Yes - but I was careful with it

398 35.13%
Page 10 of 38 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213141520 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by StormChaser View Post
    Exactly...something smut be wrong, or it's just a weak design. I've carried my Treos in my front pocket for YEARS...never once had a problem...and no, I don't use a case.

Yes...my Treo 700p is a TANK. It has taken so many hard falls and just keeps on running. Carpet, concrete, asphalt. It has hit so hard that the battery door has flown off, battery flown out, and the stylus has ejected. Hard enough that all four corners of the phone are ground down due to hard surface impacts...and it works perfectly.

I have never been as paranoid about a phone as I am with my Pre. It just feels so delicate...and while the flush screen looks nice, I wish that it was recessed and protected better. I would have been willing to add a little thickness to make the thing stand up to abuse better...and frankly, this thread depresses me every time that I see it when scanning the forums.

cheers,
    Steve
    Last edited by scuba_steve; 06/11/2009 at 12:28 PM.
    IIIx -> Tungsten T -> Treo 650 -> Treo 700p -> Launch day Pre
    Global Posts
    144 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by scuba_steve View Post
    Yes...my Treo 700p is a TANK. It has taken so many hard falls and just keeps on running. Carpet, concrete, asphalt. It has hit so hard that the battery door has flown off, battery flown out, and the stylus has ejected. Hard enough that all four corners of the phone are ground down due to hard surface impacts...and it works perfectly.
    Haha. Me too. I have done all of the above with never a scratch. Now if we could meld the build of that type of unit, with the web os on the pre, i would be a happy, happy camper. Never carried my 755p in a case either! Actually, I would be willing to sacrifice the small size of the pre for a unit that was built like my Treo 755p with the keyboard and all, with this OS! I am not too fond of this plastic housing.
    Guys,

The same issues popped up when the iphone came out, when the centro came out, and I'm guessing when your tanklike 755p's came out. Whether theres some bad batches because tolerances are a little loose at launch, shrug. It happens and it sucks.
    -----
    Edited

Woops, according to http://support.sprint.com/doc/sp11673.xml
    The below either changed or I was very lucky in the past.

-------
    I was under the impression that sprint will repair/replace cracked screens at ~$55 with no TEP regardless of the phone. I know I've done it a few times but my last time was over a year ago. Maybe things changed. TEP would make those free as the insurance deductable only kicks in when you lose or crush the phone.
    Last edited by kaze0; 06/11/2009 at 10:37 AM.
    i didnt take it in but i had my mom call the sprint store yesterday where i got the phone and she talked to one of the managers and he took down my name and number and said he would take the broken one and give me a new one but they dont have any in stock they had gotten 10 yesterday but sold out already so i might just return it and cancel the plan for now
    Global Posts
    829 Global Posts
    Man, that really sucks. Palm probably used the cheapest materials possible to save money.
    Current Phone(s): HTC Inspire "4G" & Pre 2
    Global Posts
    78 Global Posts
    Ok, you have me worried about my new Pre I'm getting soon.

1 question - did any of you happen to have overheating problems by running into one of the bugs with Hotmail/AIM/wall charger before 1.02 update that made the phone get especially hot? I'm not an expert but I do recall something about extreme heat on one end of a screen, and being cool on the other end, then being under pressure (the screen UNDER the plastic screen) can lead to things breaking because heat causes expansion. Isn't it possible it broke when it got hot on you guys, and slowly started spreading and it just took a bit for you to notice?
    I carry my Instinct, in its cloth case, in my front pants pocket with no problem for about a year now.

This issue (and lack of USB tethering) is keeping me from getting a Pre.
  8.    #188  
    Quote Originally Posted by quahtrader View Post
    I did nothing to the phone - had not taken the back cover off, changed battery or anything other than open the micro-usb port cover. I did not have any problems (like the slider close, etc) - so I did nothing to the phone at all. It was just like it came out of the box except without the plastic screen protection.
    As a data point - I need to make a correction here to my reply above.

I just thought about this. When I purchased the Pre, the in store sales guy couldn't figure out how to turn the phone on when he took it out of the box - and then thought that the battery had not been installed. He filled around with the phone trying to figure out how to take the battery cover off - when finally someone else showed him how to open the battery cover, only to show him that indeed the battery was in there.

So yes, the battery cover had actually been removed and re-installed on the Pre that had the cracked screen. *I* never took the cover off or did anything else to the phone.

So, that begs the question to the rest of you that had problems - had you taken the battery cover off?

So, that begs the question to the rest of you that had problems - had you taken the battery cover off?
    Never took the battery cover off from my phone.
    Global Posts
    144 Global Posts
    So yes, the battery cover had actually been removed and re-installed on the Pre that had the cracked screen. *I* never took the cover off or did anything else to the phone.

Hmmm. Interesting observation and scary for those of us who replaced our cover with the touchstone one.

Has anyone had the case crack that hasn't take the cover off?
    Quote Originally Posted by kaze0 View Post
    I was under the impression that sprint will repair/replace cracked screens at ~$55 with no TEP regardless of the phone. I know I've done it a few times but my last time was over a year ago. Maybe things changed. TEP would make those free as the insurance deductable only kicks in when you lose or crush the phone.
    Problem is that they really can't replace just the screen on the Pre. There's an article here (the one that shows the Pre dissasembled, I think) that says the Pre is so difficult to dissasemble that Sprint isn't even going to try to repair them -- replace only.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
    I, too, have already suffered the loss of my brand new Pre. It was 12 hours old at time of death. I had it in my front pant pocket as I left my girlfriend's apartment this morning.

I got into my Jeep on my way to work, and I felt like listening to Pandora on my new Pre, one of the many apps available. I took it out of my pocket, and out of it's "protective" sleeve that came with the phone, and to my surprise, the screen was cracked. The crack starts somewhere in the black bottom section, seemingly just at the push button's point. Is this a terrible pressure point on the Pre? A design defect that somehow, and I stress, somehow, slipped past QA technicians and development engineers?

Whatever it is, Palm and Sprint need to figure this out, and make their customers happy before they (Myself included) leave for, ahem, and iPhone.

Palm, Sprint.. Help!
    Quote Originally Posted by jimmym3 View Post
    I, too, have already suffered the loss of my brand new Pre. It was 12 hours old at time of death. I had it in my front pant pocket as I left my girlfriend's apartment this morning....
    Have you taken it into Sprint yet? If so, what did they say?
    My Phone & My Wife's Phone Two Unlocked GSM Treo Pro's

14.    #194  
    Wow. What are up to, 7 now? Exact same description...
    Global Posts
    358 Global Posts
    The policy regarding cost of replacment changed several months ago.
    $100 for regular phones
    $120 for smartphones/instinct

The free replacment for the touchscreen on your phons will vary from store to store. Some will consider the problem a defect and replace it for free (within 30 days or with your ESRP/TEP coverage), others will consider it physical damage ($120 replacement or $100 insurance claim).

For the time being don't expect a in-store replacement, every store in the country is still desperately short on stock and they are all wanting to sell these phones on contacts instead of using them as repair replacements.
    Wow. How discouraging. I guess I have to admit I'm not suprised to hear of more occurrences of this since I had done nothing to cause the cracks in my phone when it happened.

I'm on day 2 with my new phone. If we continue to see more and more of these without a reponse from palm, I'll be returing mine before the 30 day window is up. Love the phone, but this doesn't seem right!
    Global Posts
    106 Global Posts
    i have a crack in my pre, dont know how it got there... its located on the screen half of the phone, but does not go into the screen. its on the right side underneath the power button, above the USB plug...

no... it wasnt due to my inadvertent clicking thinking it was a mouse... link in fact, i havent dropped it, rough handled it or thrown it across the room yet...

i think it may have been due to the heat produced when using the touchstone charger... anyone else have this issue? there are no dips, bumps, scratches around the area. the phone is in perfect shape besides the crack. hell, you can barely even feel the crack! its just really noticeable since it breaks the black paint or whatever mumbojumbo they have back there...

so, i called palm tech support to report the issue, the crappy rep told me that they havent heard of any issue like that (duh, the phone is only 4 days old) and that they think my story is a fib with their constant questioning of "did u handle it rough, did you bump into anything, do you have a case for it, you sure you didnt drop it, etcetc." after i explained my story, that ******* rep even had the nerve to pose a stupid question to me, "well, if the heat was so hot, the phone should have melted right??" this guy is the worst CS ive ever came across for any company, to throw out a question like that! seriously, WTF!

i am unhappy WITH PALM CS (sounds like their call center is all the way in the phillipines... since both reps (level 1 and escalated reps) i dealt with had heavy filipino accents)

Global Posts
    106 Global Posts
    oh yea even before calling palm tech, i went to the sprint store to see what they could do, they dont cover physical damage... uhmm yea, its a manufacturers defect in my book, when ive been babying this pre since second 1
    Quote Originally Posted by rburna View Post
    oh yea even before calling palm tech, i went to the sprint store to see what they could do, they dont cover physical damage... uhmm yea, its a manufacturers defect in my book, when ive been babying this pre since second 1
    This seems to vary from Sprint store to Sprint store. I've been told that if it's within 30 days you can exchange it for any reason. As a matter of fact I'm pretty sure someone here posted an email from Customer Care saying the same thing. Physical damage and all.

Email customer care and see what they say. If they say you can exchange it, print the email off and take it to your Sprint store.

*edit*

Well I just got confirmation from Customer Care... Apparently the Sprint repair/store will determine if the defect was physical damage or from a defect... Gee I wonder which they'll pick. Physical damage is not covered in 30 days unless it was cause by a defect.
    Last edited by sake; 06/11/2009 at 06:42 PM.
  20.    #200  
    4 more people posting on the palm.com forum with the same crack problem. One person posted a (large) picture and his looks exactly like mine. http://img35.imageshack.us/img35/8457/cracked.jpg

Someone is mentioning the possibility that the crack is starting in an area that is getting hot.

Looks like this just might be the beginning of this problem....