Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 41
  1. Mosbb's Avatar
    Posts
    133 Posts
    Global Posts
    154 Global Posts
       #1  
    I removed the little sticker on the top right (after you remove the battery cover) and than I loosened all the screws.

    I than tightened them up starting from the bottom and worked my way up. I than went back to the bottom and tightened them some more.

    I made sure I did not strip the thread but also made sure they where VERY tight.

    Now my screen has hardly ANY play at all! I love using the pre with the screen up. But before the screen would wobble when I held it in landscape while browsing or watching video.

    Now my pre is nice and tight and I have no reason to exchange it tomorrow.

    if you try this you will need a T5 hex screw remover ( I think its called a HEX). I do know for sure its a T5, I bought it at sears. You will also need a very thin needle to poke the sides of the top right sticker to remove it.

    Once removed put the sticker on the side where it won't get lost or dirty. Tighten like I said above and than use the needle to put the sticker back.

    Let us know how it went for you.
  2. Stake's Avatar
    Posts
    47 Posts
    Global Posts
    70 Global Posts
    #2  
    Not to totally argue the tightening the screws would work but I just looked at the inside of my Pre and saw that there are two rails under the battery that cause the halves to float or wiggle. The screws I think you're talking about are just for the bottom half of the case.

    If this works, great. But unless you're making the rails tighter in someway, I don't think this would work in general. If you take the battery out and slide the keyboard/screen up and down, you'll see what I mean.
  3. Mosbb's Avatar
    Posts
    133 Posts
    Global Posts
    154 Global Posts
       #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by Stake View Post
    Not to totally argue the tightening the screws would work but I just looked at the inside of my Pre and saw that there are two rails under the battery that cause the halves to float or wiggle. The screws I think you're talking about are just for the bottom half of the case.

    If this works, great. But unless you're making the rails tighter in someway, I don't think this would work in general. If you take the battery out and slide the keyboard/screen up and down, you'll see what I mean.

    When you tighten the screws the plastic squezes and gets it closer to the back of the screen. which than the bottom part of the pre comes closer to the screens side "tabs" which helps it not wobble.

    Hard to explain but trust me it WORKS, I just did it so I know what I'm talking about.
  4. Spunky424's Avatar
    Posts
    27 Posts
    Global Posts
    28 Global Posts
    #4  
    hmmm hope this really works
  5. #5  
    I'm going to agree with Stake on this one guys.
    Sincerely,

    Dwight Shrute
  6. Spunky424's Avatar
    Posts
    27 Posts
    Global Posts
    28 Global Posts
    #6  
    could you post a picture of the screws that loosened and tightened?
  7. Mosbb's Avatar
    Posts
    133 Posts
    Global Posts
    154 Global Posts
       #7  
    Remember that these pre's probably get assembled by individual people. Some may follow the guide lines as to how much to tighten and certain sequence as you do so.
    But others may be to lazy to follow this guide lines and leave them pretty loose. I

    I was able to turn those screws alot and it worked. Just keep in mind that you have to remove the sticker to get this done right. You can try without taking the sticker off and tighten the rest of the screws. You will see it does make a difference. But the screw with the sticker will always be loose till you take it off and tighten it.

    Also, that right screw is KEY to stop the wobbling.
  8. #8  
    Seems like you might void your warranty if you start peeling stickers and such. i'd be very leery about doing that.
  9. Tikerz's Avatar
    Posts
    447 Posts
    Global Posts
    519 Global Posts
    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by brett328 View Post
    Seems like you might void your warranty if you start peeling stickers and such. i'd be very leery about doing that.
    I just took a look and the sticker is really really small. It's the size of the head of the screws that are in there. Unless it's like super glued on, it doesn't look difficult at all to lift it without damaging it.
  10. #10  
    Great find! Thanks so much for sharing your fix for this rather common (it seems) issue!!
  11. NOLApre's Avatar
    Posts
    115 Posts
    Global Posts
    117 Global Posts
    #11  
    i did this as well. pretty much fixed it, but be VERY careful as the screws are rather brittle.
  12. dbett's Avatar
    Posts
    165 Posts
    Global Posts
    168 Global Posts
    #12  
    FYI:

    That sticker is there specifically so that Palm/Sprint can tell if someone has opened the case. Ie, removing or damaging it will void your warranty if they decide to press the issue.

    Then again, I removed the similar sticker on my 755p (to swap the back plate for one that covered the camera) and Sprint swapped it out when it later died. So...just something to keep in mind.
  13. Spunky424's Avatar
    Posts
    27 Posts
    Global Posts
    28 Global Posts
    #13  
    someone lend me a T5 screwdriver!
  14. #14  
    You can remove the sticker using a safety pin or something similar. But make sure when you are done, you place it back on there. That sticker voids your phones warranty is it is damaged.
    Follow Me On

  15. dbett's Avatar
    Posts
    165 Posts
    Global Posts
    168 Global Posts
    #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by Syphon View Post
    You can remove the sticker using a safety pin or something similar. But make sure when you are done, you place it back on there. That sticker voids your phones warranty is it is damaged.
    And unless you can put it back perfectly, I suggest you remove it completely. A service tech may miss the absence of the sticker but a scratched/torn/misaligned one will set off the "WARRANTY VOIDED!" alarms.
  16. #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by Preman View Post
    if you try this you will need a T5 hex screw remover ( I think its called a HEX). I do know for sure its a T5, I bought it at sears. You will also need a very thin needle to poke the sides of the top right sticker to remove it.
    I found the t6 (the its called a torx driver/screw not a hex, hex would be like an allen wrench) fit much better and didnt cause as much possiblitly of strip the screw head (but that might have just been my set of them), but doing this method DIDN"T fix my wobble.
  17. #17  
    did this work for anybody else?
  18. Pilgrymm's Avatar
    Posts
    14 Posts
    Global Posts
    30 Global Posts
    #18  
    I'm headed to the store to get my replacement here in a few, if it's wobbly I'll check out the screws, I have a hex 5 that fits the screws (checked it on my current busted phone). So i'll see if this helps this evening or tomorrow.
  19. #19  
    hows the replacement
  20. #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by dbett View Post
    And unless you can put it back perfectly, I suggest you remove it completely. A service tech may miss the absence of the sticker but a scratched/torn/misaligned one will set off the "WARRANTY VOIDED!" alarms.
    I'm wondering how sprint/palm will handle this. They won't even attempt to take it apart to fix it, they will always replace with a whole new phone. So will they even bother looking to see if you've tried to take it apart?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions