Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Didnt fix the wobbly screen, but the phone does feel a bit more "solid".

Just an FYI, I wouldnt do this with a needle like the OP suggested. I just did 2 Pre's & the first I used the poky part of a sewing needle & totally trashed the sticker all to hell. Also scratched the screw itself on the surface (its coated in this black coating thats easily scratched).

The second Pre I used the threading part of the needle & it was much much easier. Saved the sticker on that one.
    Global Posts
    550 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 9 Inch Pre Niss View Post
    I'm wondering how sprint/palm will handle this. They won't even attempt to take it apart to fix it, they will always replace with a whole new phone. So will they even bother looking to see if you've tried to take it apart?
    Yep they do. I was in the store yesterday and some guy was complaining his phone wasn't working right. They asked did you drop it in water or anything and he said no. They took it in the back and came out saying that it looks like it was dropped in water. They have a little sticker or cloth that they put inside the phone and when it gets wet it will turn red. That is how they found out. Some techs won't care about the stickers but some have nothing better to do than take things apart so see if someone actually has done something to the phone.
    This is very interesting! I hope this works because I'm going to try it tomorrow. I've read the posts over a few times and those who can get it to work probably need to make sure you tighten the screws a little bit at a time. Bring the back plate down at an even and slow pace.

Probably the reason for the wobbly screens is because the assembly line did not tighten them evenly, instead just tightened one at a time. Bringing each corner down one at a time, which then didn't make it fit perfectly.

When I go to the store and get a screw diver I'll report my findings...
    Global Posts
    5 Global Posts
    Tried this on my phone. Did not change a thing but destroy the tamper proof tag on the upper right screw head. Probably voided my warranty also. Am sure when the tech checks a unit out that is the first thing they are directed to look at to ensure no one has tampered with. thanks.....my own fault for trying it though.
    I did it on mine and the wobble seems better. I used the t6 and it didn't seem to scratch it but I was overly careful.
    Global Posts
    727 Global Posts
    Y'all are funny. When I open the backing of my Pre and remove the battery, I can see the sliding mechanism through that opening. I can see the "play" there and theres nothing to tighten to fix it.

I think tightening those screws under the sticker will make the unit more snug and feel more solid, but it just defies logic that it will fix wobble.

BTW, my wobble only occurs when closed and it's not much.
    Global Posts
    154 Global Posts
    Sorry this has not worked for most of you guys. Try lossening the bottom right screw and see if that helps. I've noticed that when you loosen or tighten a certain screw it makes a difference on the wobbling. Play around with the screws till you see some improvement. Also squeeze the phone together at the top left and right. This helped one of my pres without having to tighten any screws.
    Global Posts
    30 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jmart603 View Post
    hows the replacement
    It's a little wobbly, I didn't remove the sticker, but I tightened the other 5 screws, and it's a little better. Not much though, still has maybe a millimeter of play.
    Global Posts
    311 Global Posts
    anymore info on this? anyone have pics on what screws and/or rails to tighten?

thanks
    Palm Pre (Sprint)
    "Also squeeze the phone together at the top left and right .." Did this and something clicked, and now the wobble is less! Thanks.
    Before you did this fix, did the two pieces ever pull apart at all? I am talking about to the point where the top half comes off the two tabs in the top part. If it was, could you pull the two parts away? Even slightly? When you fixed this did it make the two parts snug to where it will not pull away off the tabs? Could you pull the two parts apart even slightly?

Reason why I ask is because I have had 3 pres that it would pull apart off the tabs some were worse. I am on my fourth one and it is snug as can be. When it is closed the two pieces will not pull apart from each other even .1 mm when I try to pull on it. It still twists, but it will not come off the tabs. Does your fix make the two pieces snug like this?
    Global Posts
    85 Global Posts
    the wobble is not completely because of the guides under the battery. there are tabs that are on each side of the phone screen. they are small and black plastic. when these screws are too loose the screen "jumps" over these tabs and causes the wobble. i looked at a demolished pre with the screen ripped off and you can clearly see that these tabs are almost too short. if the screws are a little off it will cause the wobble.
    if you have the wobble, look under the screen and you will see what i am talking about.

http://www.rapidrepair.com/guides/Pa...complete-1.jpg

check out this pic
    Last edited by Ottoa2000; 07/15/2009 at 09:42 PM. Reason: added pic
    Quote Originally Posted by Preman View Post
    Sorry this has not worked for most of you guys. Try lossening the bottom right screw and see if that helps. I've noticed that when you loosen or tighten a certain screw it makes a difference on the wobbling. Play around with the screws till you see some improvement. Also squeeze the phone together at the top left and right. This helped one of my pres without having to tighten any screws.
    Strangely enough, I tried squeezing the top left and right, heard a very slight snap, and now the wobble is essentially gone (or very slight).

Nicely done!

L
    Lee Ladisky
    Quote Originally Posted by Spunky424 View Post
    someone lend me a T5 screwdriver!
    Here's a great deal:

DealExtreme: $3.86 Precision Magnetic Screw Drivers 9-Piece Set with Internal Tip Storage Black Silver

I bought a bunch of these as stocking stuffers for my other friends for Christmas and they love it. Oh and free shipping too
    Global Posts
    188 Global Posts
    When I squeeze the upper right corner where the ringer on/off switch is (squeeze front to back) it clicks into place (pretty loud) and the wobble goes away, but it works itself lose again. When you squeeze there i can see the two halves get tighter and the switch is better aligned. Mine def has T-5 screws not T-6. I Tightened all the screws except the one under the sticker and it feels tighter, still has side to side woble but the phone feels over all tighter, the slide seems to snap open harder. I would be careful with over tightening and cracking screens. We used to break nextel I90 LCD's all the time by over tightening the screws on the front flip face plate. Also if you tighten too hard you might get some color bleeding.
    Global Posts
    188 Global Posts
    here are some pics of what i was talking about....Its kind of tough to see but if you look close at the ringer switch you'll see a difference.

Quote Originally Posted by Preman View Post
    Remember that these pre's probably get assembled by individual people. Some may follow the guide lines as to how much to tighten and certain sequence as you do so.
    But others may be to lazy to follow this guide lines and leave them pretty loose. I

I was able to turn those screws alot and it worked. Just keep in mind that you have to remove the sticker to get this done right. You can try without taking the sticker off and tighten the rest of the screws. You will see it does make a difference. But the screw with the sticker will always be loose till you take it off and tighten it.

Also, that right screw is KEY to stop the wobbling.
    I run a manufacturing line for a large fortune 500 company.. There are specially designed tools with Precision torque wrenches/drivers for these parts. I would advise AGAINST any tightening of screws with out a technical spec. on how tight they should be.
    Global Posts
    154 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Addie_Goodvibes View Post
    I run a manufacturing line for a large fortune 500 company.. There are specially designed tools with Precision torque wrenches/drivers for these parts. I would advise AGAINST any tightening of screws with out a technical spec. on how tight they should be.

This is a PHONE not a mercedes engine block.
    You do NOT have to over tighten any of the screws.
    Its just a matter of which ones to tighten more than the others so as to even things out so the top left corner closes down.
    Global Posts
    154 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by notabun View Post
    Y'all are funny. When I open the backing of my Pre and remove the battery, I can see the sliding mechanism through that opening. I can see the "play" there and theres nothing to tighten to fix it.

I think tightening those screws under the sticker will make the unit more snug and feel more solid, but it just defies logic that it will fix wobble.

BTW, my wobble only occurs when closed and it's not much.
    We may be funny but you don't have a clue of what you are talking about.
    The play you are referring to is not the same as what we are talking about.
    Get some rest and stop thinking ur so much smarter than us.
    Global Posts
    60 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cary328is View Post
    Here's a great deal:

DealExtreme: $3.86 Precision Magnetic Screw Drivers 9-Piece Set with Internal Tip Storage Black Silver

I bought a bunch of these as stocking stuffers for my other friends for Christmas and they love it. Oh and free shipping too
    i so just bought one of those...thanks!
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast