Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I am having a hard time deciding whether I should stay with sprint or go to Verizon. I bought two Pre's on opening day, one for the g/f and the other for me. I really like the OS of the phone and the hardware is good. However, since moving to sprint I have had at least 5 dropped calls at random locations and the call quality sucks in my opinion. I dont get good coverage at my house either, (had a dropped call). I don't know if this is due to the Pre phone or Sprints network or both. I know that I can get an airave which will fix that, but there have been dropped calls at other locations.

My old cheap LG flip phone never dropped a call and the call quality was far superior on verizon's network. My g/f pre has been subjected to a dead pixel and my phone does the black out when I close it shut. I did the battery mod and it hasnt blacked out or reset, good news.

I am debating that maybe the better choice will be to wait until Jan for Verizon this way all the bugs are sorted and hardware might be better (ie, new batteries, screen, etc).

However, I am aware that Sprint is much cheaper and Verizon will most likely cost more. I spoke to a sales rep at Verizon and she stated Verizon might get the phone a lot later than January because they test their phones extensively and this takes time. So, this sux, help me decide.

I dont want to sound as if I am bashing the Pre, I really like the phone and see much promise in it. I am also hopeful that Sprint will change their network and expand with better coverage like Verizon.
    Global Posts
    747 Global Posts
    Go with whatever carrier you can actually use effectively in your area. Or try one of those Airwave things.
    get an airave to help home reception, and do the roam only hack to allow you to roam off of verizons network. but if sprint really is that bad in you area, switch back to verizon. For me (in ohio) sprint does really well so Im ok
    So you have the 30 day trial period with Sprint. Right? If you have bad coverage I think you know what you should do. I went the other way, switched from VZW to Sprint because I got tried of waiting for VZW to get good phones. Sprint has very good coverage in my area (NJ/NY) and they are cheaper to VZW. Also I'm not 100% sure we will see the Pre on VZW in Jan 2010.
    Global Posts
    9 Global Posts
    I have a friend that works for Sprint and he says that Sprint and Verizon use the same networks...ie sprint phones will roam onto Verizon what Sprint is not available, so I'm not sure you will gain a lot with that switch.
    Quote Originally Posted by Retzius View Post
    I am having a hard time deciding whether I should stay with sprint or go to Verizon. I bought two Pre's on opening day, one for the g/f and the other for me. I really like the OS of the phone and the hardware is good. However, since moving to sprint I have had at least 5 dropped calls at random locations and the call quality sucks in my opinion. I dont get good coverage at my house either, (had a dropped call). I don't know if this is due to the Pre phone or Sprints network or both. I know that I can get an airave which will fix that, but there have been dropped calls at other locations.

My old cheap LG flip phone never dropped a call and the call quality was far superior on verizon's network. My g/f pre has been subjected to a dead pixel and my phone does the black out when I close it shut. I did the battery mod and it hasnt blacked out or reset, good news.

I am debating that maybe the better choice will be to wait until Jan for Verizon this way all the bugs are sorted and hardware might be better (ie, new batteries, screen, etc).

However, I am aware that Sprint is much cheaper and Verizon will most likely cost more. I spoke to a sales rep at Verizon and she stated Verizon might get the phone a lot later than January because they test their phones extensively and this takes time. So, this sux, help me decide.

I dont want to sound as if I am bashing the Pre, I really like the phone and see much promise in it. I am also hopeful that Sprint will change their network and expand with better coverage like Verizon.
    Supposedly the next update should fix reception problems. Also try calling CS. The lady I talked to was very nice and seemed like she was trying to help and figure out a solution. She is monitoring my Pre and my wife's Pre reception/dropped calls. I think they are doing it for several locations.

Also I know when I have bad reception my phone will actually use V's towers for reception.

So if reception is your only problem I would probably hold on to it for a little bit longer, but when you are close to your 30day if problem still persists then maybe you will have to say goodbye to the Pre or get an Airwave.
  7.    #7  
    Thanks guys, I will definitely go with the Airwave if I stay with Sprint, I am just skeptical of Sprints coverage in my area after 5 dropped calls. I think I will give it another week and a half since I still have the 30 day exchange window period.

Just to add, the Verizon rep. told me when the Razor phone craze occured a few years ago, Verizon took a long time to add the phone to its network because they tested it extensively. She said this was part of Verizon's testing process with new phones. She said even though the Pre will be available in January on Verizon, it can be released much later than that. Anyone have any other insight into this? Thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by thedonger View Post
    I have a friend that works for Sprint and he says that Sprint and Verizon use the same networks...ie sprint phones will roam onto Verizon what Sprint is not available, so I'm not sure you will gain a lot with that switch.
    Sprint has free roaming on the Verizon network, so, unless you have so much call time to Verizon members, there's no point in paying more for less, since Verizon, from my understanding, doesn't have free roaming on the Sprint network.

My experience has been, by roaming onto the Verizon network, my reception was better than a friend who was sitting next to me with his Verizon phone.
    I had the same reception problems and never had any before with Sprint. I found a post elsewhere that suggested this fix:
    In Phone menu set network to SPRINT ONLY
    On Dial Pad enter ##3836# then choose EVDO ONLY
    This only works if you are in an area with a strong Sprint signal. Basically, the problem is that the Pre continues to search for networks and bounces back and forth between 3G and 2G. This is the same problem that the original iPhone had and should be fixed eventually with a software update. It COMPLETELY fixed my problems!
    gw
    Global Posts
    564 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stihl View Post
    Go with whatever carrier you can actually use effectively in your area. Or try one of those Airwave things.
    This is really the only thing that needs to be said on this subject, QFT. If Sprint does not cover your area very well, then the answer is obvious. However you're a moron if Sprint has good coverage in your area and you don't sign up, you pay less and get more with Sprint.
    Thanks guys, I will definitely go with the Airwave if I stay with Sprint, I am just skeptical of Sprints coverage in my area after 5 dropped calls. I think I will give it another week and a half since I still have the 30 day exchange window period.

Just to add, the Verizon rep. told me when the Razor phone craze occured a few years ago, Verizon took a long time to add the phone to its network because they tested it extensively. She said this was part of Verizon's testing process with new phones. She said even though the Pre will be available in January on Verizon, it can be released much later than that. Anyone have any other insight into this? Thanks.
    Its the same old story with VZW, they take forever to cert
    & test new phones. Recent example is when Centro exclusive period ended on Sprint, it took VZW about 6 months to release it!
  12.    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by geewhiz View Post
    I had the same reception problems and never had any before with Sprint. I found a post elsewhere that suggested this fix:
    In Phone menu set network to SPRINT ONLY
    On Dial Pad enter ##3836# then choose EVDO ONLY
    This only works if you are in an area with a strong Sprint signal. Basically, the problem is that the Pre continues to search for networks and bounces back and forth between 3G and 2G. This is the same problem that the original iPhone had and should be fixed eventually with a software update. It COMPLETELY fixed my problems!
    gw
    I just tried this hopefully it will help. Going to test it for a while, if it doesnt work will go back to my original settings. I really hope the update fixes the Pre's call quality.

a sales rep at Verizon and she stated Verizon might get the phone a lot later than January because they test their phones extensively and this takes time.
    I laughed out loud at this. Has anyone heard of the colossal failure known as the blackberry storm?
    VZ Data plans are pricy as hell...
    God is not a Democrat or a Republican, but he is Pro-Life!
    Stick with sprint and save $$ every month
    I too spoke with a Verizon rep recently, she told me that Verizon doesn't have the iPhone yet because their chief wireless scientists are testing it extensively, to make sure it's a good enough phone for their elite network. Once the iPhone has been blessed for V Cast, VZW Tones, VZ Music and VZ Wallpapers, they'll consider unveiling the Verizon iPhone to the world, with a cool red "V" logo on it -- wives will stop whining, babies will stop crying, men will stop dying - and the world will stand still, for a moment. Rejoice!
    Submit your Pre feature requests and vote up the best at http://pre.uservoice.com
    I spoke to a sales rep at Verizon and she stated Verizon might get the phone a lot later than January because they test their phones extensively and this takes time.
    Just to add, the Verizon rep. told me when the Razor phone craze occured a few years ago, Verizon took a long time to add the phone to its network because they tested it extensively. She said this was part of Verizon's testing process with new phones. She said even though the Pre will be available in January on Verizon, it can be released much later than that.
    I too spoke with a Verizon rep recently, she told me that Verizon doesn't have the iPhone yet because their chief wireless scientists are testing it extensively, to make sure it's a good enough phone for their elite network. Once the iPhone has been blessed for V Cast, VZW Tones, VZ Music, VZ Maps, VZ Games and VZ Wallpapers, only then will they consider unveiling the Verizon iPhone to the world, complete with a giant red "V" logo on it -- wives will stop whining, babies will stop crying, men will stop dying - and the world will stand still, for a moment. Rejoice.
    Submit your Pre feature requests and vote up the best at http://pre.uservoice.com
  18.    #18  
    Okay reporting back, ##3836#, Evdo only did not work for me. It says I have full bars but my g/f called me and sent me several text messages which I did not recieve. She said the call rang once then jumped to voice mail. I just switched it back to Hybrid Rev A and as soon as that happened I got the text messages.
    Global Posts
    550 Global Posts
    As much as I HATE Sprint I say if you like the phone stay with it. Yes the Pre does have poor reception compared to the other palm products but there is no telling when Verizon will get the Pre. When the exclusivity ends they have the option to extend it or not. I am guessing they will extended it just to prevent people leaving their crappy network to go to Verizon.
  20.    #20  
    Thanks PreGame I we share the same sentiment. All I can do is hope, that is, hope that Sprints improves its network/reception. I really enjoy the PRE, especially the Where application.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast