Results 1 to 13 of 13
  1.    #1  
    This information is not mine, however I found it very useful and perhaps you all will too:

    From Niel T @ Neil Turner's blog


    Right-click on the desktop, select 'New' and then 'Shortcut'. For the item location, copy and paste the following:

    RunDll32.exe shell32.dll,Control_RunDLL HotPlug.dll

    Then click 'Next'. Call the shortcut 'Safely Remove Hardware', and you should be done. If you want to make it look snazzier, right-click the icon, choose 'Properties' and then the 'Shortcut' tab, click on 'Change Icon' and in the 'Look for icons' box type:

    %windir%\system32\HotPlug.dll

    The first icon in this file matches the 'Safely Remove Hardware' icon so you'll be able to recognize it more easily.


    Enjoy
    Last edited by MLJones8; 06/18/2009 at 04:00 PM. Reason: txt edit
  2. Drifter's Avatar
    Posts
    22 Posts
    Global Posts
    53 Global Posts
    #2  
    Thank you for this, it is very helpful
  3. #3  
    The tool tray (the right end of the toolbar at the bottom of Win XP or Vista) should already HAVE a remove hardware button any time you have a USB device plugged in.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
  4. Stihl's Avatar
    Posts
    741 Posts
    Global Posts
    747 Global Posts
    #4  
    Even better than the actual information in the original post, I'd like to commend you for naming your thread correctly. All too often on this forum, a thread will be named this way and the first post will be 'SO DOES ANYONE KNOW??'
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by meyerweb View Post
    The tool tray (the right end of the toolbar at the bottom of Win XP or Vista) should already HAVE a remove hardware button any time you have a USB device plugged in.
    This is true... however I use an application called objectdock by stardock that removes your standard XP/Vista task bar and creates a new one similar to Macs UI task bar... but the free version doesn't support the tool tray so I have to unhide the task bar to see the remove hardware button. Thus this is perfect for me... maybe not so perfect for you.

    Quote Originally Posted by Stihl View Post
    Even better than the actual information in the original post, I'd like to commend you for naming your thread correctly.
  6. #6  
    if i recall correctly, you will get an error if you use the safely remove hardware icon. Instead you need to eject the pre.
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by ziggymars View Post
    if i recall correctly, you will get an error if you use the safely remove hardware icon. Instead you need to eject the pre.
    Ummm... No you have recalled incorrectly.
  8. #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by MLJones8 View Post
    Ummm... No you have recalled incorrectly.
    I get the error every time, even after selecting for it to safely remove the hardware, so I don't believe he has. With that said, how do you 'eject' the Pre?
  9. #9  
    Just like ejecting a CD or DVD. Right click on the pre in windows explorer and click eject.
  10. #10  
    I "eject" the Pre. Windows and the Pre are both happy (no errors).
  11.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by f1nzup View Post
    I get the error every time, even after selecting for it to safely remove the hardware, so I don't believe he has. With that said, how do you 'eject' the Pre?
    Odd... I (obviously) don't have any errors Windows XP or Pre.... and don't have enough tech knowledge to explain this. None-the-less I apologize ziggy.
  12. #12  
    helpful thanks.
  13. #13  
    There is a way to create a shortcut for ejecting a specific USB drive... google "Create a Shortcut or Hotkey to Immediately Eject a Specific USB Drive"

    (I can't post a link yet but the tinyurl.com is /2x854s)

    BTW, you can change which drive letter your Pre uses. In XP, you go to control panel > administrative tools > computer management, then select disk management. Right-click the Pre, Change Drive Letter and Paths... Then you can pick any free drive letter, like P!

Posting Permissions