1.    #1  
    I was told the following today by a Sprint rep with regard to soft resetting your phone. If you ever need to manually soft reset, there are three (3) ways to do this, and they should be attempted in this order (i.e., if the first method doesn't work, try the second method, and so on.):

1. Device Info app > Reset Options > Restart (green button at the top)
    2. Hold the Power button down and toggle the Ringer switch three times. Device will reset within 10-15 seconds (+/- I forget the exact time).
    3. Remove the battery.

HTH,
    ME
    Mark A. Einersen
    HTC Evo 4G w/Seidio Innocase Active Limited Edition Case < Palm Pre < Palm Pixi (wife) < Palm Treo 755p < Palm Centro (wife) < pa1mOne Treo 650 < Palm Tungsten|E (wife) < Palm Tungsten|T3 w/Sena Case < Sony Clie NR70 < Palm m505 < Palm m105 (wife) < Palm Vx < Palm Pilot Professional w/2 MB upgrade < Palm Pilot Professional < Sharp Zaurus ZR-3500 < Casio Digital Diary SF-4000 < Casio Digital Diary SF-1000
    Another way is to hold down the Orange, Sym, and R keys simultaneously which will quickly reboot the phone.
    What's wrong with holding the power till it goes off?
    Ok excuse my rant but I've been dealing with sprint reps more than I usually like to lately with upgrading my phone, having to call in a couple times since etc.

Sprint reps are the last people I go to for suggestions on how to do stuff with my phone. First of all...to most of them it is just a job. They are not an enthusiast like I am. Nothing wrong with that but even though I am not an expert I seem to have to correct them all the time.

For example. I had the curve before getting the Pre. They had no idea you could tether for free (legally) with the blackberry curve. Once I told them..then they tried to tell me I shouldn't do it because it could "fry" my phone. lol

They will say anything to get you to stop asking questions. It usually works because they are talking to your average consumer who thinks they really are experts.

When I bought my Pre the guy was trying to show me how to use it and didn't even know any of the gestures. I hadn't even touched the phone yet and was having to tell him how to do stuff.

Anyway..if you want to reset the phone...just reset it. No need to go through a step by step process. I guess avoid taking the battery out if possible. More just for convenience than anything.
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by GoTitans
    Sprint reps are the last people I go to for suggestions on how to do stuff with my phone. First of all...to most of them it is just a job. They are not an enthusiast like I am. Nothing wrong with that but even though I am not an expert I seem to have to correct them all the time...

...They will say anything to get you to stop asking questions. It usually works because they are talking to your average consumer who thinks they really are experts.
    Generally speaking, I agree. I have had to jive-talk more reps of every kind through the years precisely because I do my homework and tend to be enthusiastic about the things I invest in. However, the rep I spoke to today is not only a Pre user (the ONLY store rep allowed to get one [supposedly one per store], and three weeks before launch, no less), she is also a current Centro user who was very enthusiastic herself about going to the Pre exclusively as soon as Sprint allows her to put it on her own number. As someone who is very familiar with Palm and Sprint, I must say that she seemed knowledgeable enough and spoke as one fairly well educated on the Pre. As one who usually tends to be skeptical of oft-brainless retail employees, I feel that I must give her the benefit of the doubt (especially since her suggestions not only WON'T screw up my phone, but very well may be the best way of doing a reset).

When I bought my Pre the guy was trying to show me how to use it and didn't even know any of the gestures. I hadn't even touched the phone yet and was having to tell him how to do stuff.
    In their defense, it really isn't their fault that Sprint/Palm didn't even let employees so much as see a device before launch day (the aforementioned rep was not even allowed to take hers out of the back room and show anyone else, even though she had it three weeks before launch). Yes, they could have read all about it online like we did; but let's face it, right or wrong/good or bad, many retail employees want to be off of work when they're off of work.

Anyway..if you want to reset the phone...just reset it. No need to go through a step by step process. I guess avoid taking the battery out if possible. More just for convenience than anything.
    What I relayed above is NOT a "step-by-step process." They're simply a list of recommend reset methods--each of which is simple in and of itself--in the order that they should be used if one or more of them doesn't work for you (e.g., if the screen is dead and you can't perform method #1).

Okay, enough of my own rant.
    Mark A. Einersen
    HTC Evo 4G w/Seidio Innocase Active Limited Edition Case < Palm Pre < Palm Pixi (wife) < Palm Treo 755p < Palm Centro (wife) < pa1mOne Treo 650 < Palm Tungsten|E (wife) < Palm Tungsten|T3 w/Sena Case < Sony Clie NR70 < Palm m505 < Palm m105 (wife) < Palm Vx < Palm Pilot Professional w/2 MB upgrade < Palm Pilot Professional < Sharp Zaurus ZR-3500 < Casio Digital Diary SF-4000 < Casio Digital Diary SF-1000
    fair enough
  7.    #7  
    Mark A. Einersen