Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I feel old...because I am old and need step by step help to root my Pre.

Any one else totally lost reading all these posts? Some one needs to make a step by step video how to root the pre and how to make changes. I would contribute to your paypal account..Hint, hint.

I have done everything on the wiki site up to step 8. (pre dev wiki: Enable Root Access).
    Not sure how to download the subversion repository directory. Do I copy and save the info as a .txt file using notepad. And then what..

I know enough to be dangerous, but I'm not scared to try with help.

Treo 600 -> Treo 650 -> Treo 700P -> Treo 800W -> Launch Day Pre (RIP 08/13/10) -> Replacement PRE
    I would say if you can't understand it.. dont do it. You need a good understanding of the linux command line as well as how to use the text editors. Vi/nano etc.
    Keeping in mind that if one is unfamiliar with getting root access on a Linux device (i.e., "rooting your Pre"), this is usually a good sign that one should avoid attempting it.

You can do powerful things, but if you type in the wrong thing you could permanently destroy your Pre, to the point where a re-boot won't fix it.

Just sayin'
    Quote Originally Posted by billybennett View Post
    I would say if you can't understand it.. dont do it. You need a good understanding of the linux command line as well as how to use the text editors. Vi/nano etc.
    Agreed. It isn't like you are dabbling in HTML here.
  5.    #5  
    Well, good advise. However, I had no idea how to make changes to the registry on my 800w either. Someone made a great "How to video" and wallah...I was tethered and happy.

Maybe its not the same and I should just wait for a script or something....

Treo 600 -> Treo 650 -> Treo 700P -> Treo 800W -> Launch Day Pre (RIP 08/13/10) -> Replacement PRE
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by nyrath View Post
    Keeping in mind that if one is unfamiliar with getting root access on a Linux device (i.e., "rooting your Pre"), this is usually a good sign that one should avoid attempting it.

You can do powerful things, but if you type in the wrong thing you could permanently destroy your Pre, to the point where a re-boot won't fix it.

Just sayin'
    I was under the impression that I can run Webosdoctor if I totaly screw things up to restore the Pre..

Quote Originally Posted by Cactusone View Post
    Well, good advise. However, I had no idea how to make changes to the registry on my 800w either. Someone made a great "How to video" and wallah...I was tethered and happy.

Maybe its not the same and I should just wait for a script or something....
    Windows reg-edits are not the same as making changes in this OS. I've cooked numerous ROMs for the Touch Pro and can bounce around a WinMo device without problems. I'm being very cautious with any changes I make when rooted on this one.
    Last edited by temperamentalman; 06/18/2009 at 04:01 PM.
    Global Posts
    33 Global Posts
    Warning... WebOsDoctor doesn't always work and you may cripple your phone for good.
    TRUE FACT!!!
    Global Posts
    193 Global Posts
    Download a program called TortoiseSVN. After it install, click on a folder on your hard drive and select TortoiseSVN checkout. It will ask where you want to grab the files from, point it to the http location specified in the wiki and it should download all the files to that folder.

Good luck!
    I was under the impression that I can run Webosdoctor if I totaly screw things up to restore the Pre..
    Sometimes yes, sometimes no. The actual process of rooting the Pre is relatively simple. Once you have it rooted is where the challenge begins. Most of the changes ask that you remount the entire filesystem as writeable. In doing so, ANY change that you make BY ACCIDENT could drastically affect the phone.

I would wait until there is an installer for whatever feature you like, either from Palm or some of the folks at PreDev. Another thing to keep in mind is that whatever change you make now may be wiped completely away when Palm releases the next update.

I have multiple launcher pages and have changed the dialer skin. One update could easily change them back to stock.
    I feel old...because I am old and need step by step help to root my Pre.

Any one else totally lost reading all these posts? Some one needs to make a step by step video how to root the pre and how to make changes. I would contribute to your paypal account..Hint, hint.

I have done everything on the wiki site up to step 8. (pre dev wiki: Enable Root Access).
    Not sure how to download the subversion repository directory. Do I copy and save the info as a .txt file using notepad. And then what..

I know enough to be dangerous, but I'm not scared to try with help.
    The repository files? Right click, Save target as...save as the filename that pops up in the dialog box.
  12.    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by temperamentalman View Post
    The repository files? Right click, Save target as...save as the filename that pops up in the dialog box.
    Thanks, I just figured out you don't get "Save target as" with Firefox when you Right click. I did however with explorer.

Once step closer to bricking my Pre

This isnt exactly rocket science here guys. Its copy & paste. I think the big problem with Unix commands & the people that are hip to them is that they assume that everyone else is too & they dont explain themselves well at all.

I think if the instructions were written better this wouldnt be a problem with most people. No need to act like its some exclusive club. The more people you get doing this stuff the better.

Besides, even if you bork something, all you gotta do is a re-install using Palms restore app. You guys act like a mistake could possible destroy the universe. Its not a big deal.
    Thanks, I just figured out you don't get "Save target as" with Firefox when you Right click. I did however with explorer.

Once step closer to bricking my Pre
    Where are you getting stuck? And remember this will not work on Windows 7.
  15.    #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by peestandingup View Post
    This isnt exactly rocket science here guys. Its copy & paste. I think the big problem with Unix commands & the people that are hip to them is that they assume that everyone else is too & they dont explain themselves well at all.

I think if the instructions were written better this wouldnt be a problem with most people. No need to act like its some exclusive club. The more people you get doing this stuff the better.

Besides, even if you bork something, all you gotta do is a re-install using Palms restore app. You guys act like a mistake could possible destroy the universe. Its not a big deal.
    I hear you..I manage to fly a $50 million airplane with 190 passengers twice a week to Hawaii. I find the Islands EVERY time with no GPS even. Lol, this is why I wish the PRE had a stand alone GPS.

I hear you..I manage to fly a $50 million airplane with 190 passengers twice a week to Hawaii. I find the Islands EVERY time with no GPS even. Lol, this is why I wish the PRE had a stand alone GPS.
    If you let me stowaway I'll help you!!! lol.
    So what are you using then if no GPS, surely not dead reckoning or pilotage? lol VOR, ADF?

Seriously though, I'd like to apply some of these hacks inside Root too, but also feel the "how-tos" are a little lacking. I have a degree in CIS but just dont know much about Linux...
    Just wait a bit. Plug and click programs should be coming soon its just to early and the amount of stuff you can easily change is still prety limited.
    I remember when the iPhone sim unlock first came out. It was for OSX only & you had to use the Unix Terminal for all of it. It was kind of a long drawn out process, but I managed to easily do it because the directions were precise & didnt leave anything to question. Unlike a lot of stuff on the Pre Wiki, which Im sorry to say, is poorly written & seems like its kinda glossed over.

This is pretty much the key. Almost all this stuff is simple copy & paste, so there's really no excuse for it not to be a simple process. Anyone can follow directions & it doesnt take a Unix nerd to pull this stuff off.

Its basically like directions for baking a cake. Just follow what's on the box. You dont have to be a master chef to do it.
    Quote Originally Posted by peestandingup View Post
    I remember when the iPhone sim unlock first came out. It was for OSX only & you had to use the Unix Terminal for all of it. It was kind of a long drawn out process, but I managed to easily do it because the directions were precise & didnt leave anything to question.

This is pretty much the key. Almost all this stuff is simple copy & paste, so there's really no excuse for it not to be a simple process. Anyone can follow directions & it doesnt take a Unix nerd to pull this stuff off.
    Almost all of it is NOT cut & paste. Changing a comment line here, adding a comment line there is kid's stuff making cut & paste look hard. But when you are making a complete change to an entire file cut & paste does little good.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast