Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Has anyone else taken a look at their geotagging info from pictures? The info in the EXIF data seems to be about a mile off a lot of the time. Anyone?
    Global Posts
    59 Global Posts
    Sometimes the GPS has to run for a minute to get the correct coordinates, so maybe that's why if you take your pictures in a snap. (pun intended)
    Global Posts
    479 Global Posts
    I didn't even realize this was occurring! Where are my unedited photos....
    How are you guys even viewing this information? I can't seem to get it to view in anything-
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by poopsie View Post
    How are you guys even viewing this information? I can't seem to get it to view in anything-
    google how to view a pictures EXIF data

Exif viewer : Opanda IExif - Professional EXIF / GPS / IPTC Viewer & Editor in Windows, IE & Firefox
    Awesome thanks!
    What online photo site Are you guys using?

I see the Pre comes with Facebook and Photobucket account integration but do those display geo tag on a map display for example?
    Quote Originally Posted by benjaminNYC View Post
    What online photo site Are you guys using?

I see the Pre comes with Facebook and Photobucket account integration but do those display geo tag on a map display for example?
    I don't think facebook supports geotagging, and I know photobucket doesn't, but Flickr definitely does. I have a contact in my address book with my Flickr direct-upload email address, and it makes uploading photos *almost* as easy as using the built in support.
    I notice no matter how long I have the phone on or even if I have google maps on showing where I am it still tags the pix about 1/2 mile off
    Global Posts
    239 Global Posts
    I brought up a series of pictures I took in a car going down the highway and mapped them using Picasa and Google Earth, and it was dead on accurate, with the shots appearing further down the highway with each picture. So, I guess it's a warm-up thing maybe?
    Quote Originally Posted by Yankees368 View Post

My EXIF details do not show GPS or location info, do I have to enable this setting in the camera?
    Quote Originally Posted by Addie_Goodvibes View Post
    My EXIF details do not show GPS or location info, do I have to enable this setting in the camera?
    in location services, auto locate has to be on, use gps has to be on, and geotag photos has to be on (the geotag option does not show up unless auto locate is on).
    One easy, free way of using the GeoTags, on your computer, is to get the free IrfanView image viewer (it is MUCH more than that) for your PC.
    (I can't post a link yet - too few postings, yet. But you can easily Google for IrfanView, or go to irfanview.com)

If you are viewing an image that has GeoTags then you just:
    1) click on the [Info] button (or press the "I" key)
    2) click the [EXIF info] button
    (Note: You will see the text of the GPS data there, along with the Palm Pre make and model info, and the date and time, along with a lot of other EXIF info.)
    3) click on either the [Show in Google Earth] button or the [Show in GeoHack-Wiki] button.

You may need to install the Google Earth if you go that route. I think the GeoHack-Wiki is totally web-based and does not require any installed apps on your computer.
    Global Posts
    5 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Noktomezo View Post
    Sometimes the GPS has to run for a minute to get the correct coordinates, so maybe that's why if you take your pictures in a snap. (pun intended)
    Agree. I notice that my Pre doesn't geotag correctly if i took photos right after turning off the airplane mode. I also notice something about the EXIF -- Pre does not record the "Date Taken" field. Quite annoying. Hopefully they'll fix it in a future update.
    Global Posts
    773 Global Posts
    Just looked at mine and its about 10 miles off. I was using google maps at the same time so i know my gps was working and knew where i was.
    I agree, the GeoTags of my tested photos is off too. But not by 10 miles! wow!
    I knew that my GPS was working at the time I took the photo, yet the GeoTags were approximately 1300 meters off from where I was when I took the photo.

There is NO REASON that the photos should be more than 20 meters, and more stringently 10 meters off, than what the photo was tagged at.
    Global Posts
    790 Global Posts
    For those who are getting wildly innacurate geotag data. Were you on wifi when you took the picture? If so, that's why.

The way the location based service stuff works is this:

If on wifi: Look up ssid in online database. Match to first SSID + gps coordinates found.
    If Not on wifi:
    If you don't have a decent gps fix, use the nearest tower ID's gps coordinates
    If you have a good gps fix, use that.

So, the gps is actually the LAST thing the Pre will use. Unless you've been outside for a good 15 min or so and with good line of site to the entire sky - you'll most likely get the nearest tower's coordinates in your photos.

Has anyone found a way to make the pre get a good gps fix for the photo?
    Global Posts
    290 Global Posts
    I took a bunch of pictures from the exact same seat at a baseball game last Saturday, and the map on Flickr had them all at different locations. They weren't a mile off, but maybe a block off. A few were right on, but most were in the street outside the stadium, or in the grass of the field, or the entrance or whatnot. Maybe a couple hundred yards in any direction.

Wasn't on WiFi, and had a clear shot of the sky the whole time.
    Global Posts
    5 Global Posts
    Went backpacking this weekend. Had my Pre on airplane mode in the woods since the cell signals were pretty spotty and often weak. Took about a dozen photos from the Pre during the trip, and they were all geotagged correctly (after checking them on Google Earth). Though this is what I had to do right before taking each photo:

From the dial pad, hit ##477#
    This brings up the "GPS Information" card. Press on the "Get Fix" button. Once the GPS info is updated, then i proceed to take the photo.

It works, but quite annoying. Palm, please fix this.
    Quote Originally Posted by bennyandthesets View Post
    I notice no matter how long I have the phone on or even if I have google maps on showing where I am it still tags the pix about 1/2 mile off
    With my Pre, when I am home in a residential section, google maps not only shows me which house I am in, but gives me a good idea which room in the house I am in.

When I am at work surrounded by skyscrapers, it is about a half block off.

I'm wondering if the skyscrapers are to blame.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast