Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    One of the things that never really worked on the Treos was watching movies; bought all kinds of different players and converters and usually ended up with skips or out of sync lips. Have had great success converting DVDs and movie clips to the Mp4 format; they play back almost flawlessly with good sound quality; just a couple of skips every now - I assume it's the phone catching/losing signal briefly between towers (not on phone - just watching while in car).

I'm using Nero-Recode (part of Nero 9) for AVI files/clips I have:
    - Apple Ipod - Ipod Profile; default settings
    - 2-pass
    - Uncheck Fit to Target

I'm using Slysoft's CloneDVDmobile for DVD to Mp4:
    - Ipod Video
    - 2-pass; De-interlace
    - Zoom to full frame
    - 512x384
    - Move Quality slider to hit 1gb (might produce good quality at lower settings, but have not experimented yet)

There is also a free converter at Squared 5 - MPEG Streamclip video converter for Mac and Windows called MPEG Streamclip 1.2 (recommended by SmugMug) which I have just started experimenting with, but may also do a good job.

Have fun - you are in for a real treat!!
    Using my Pre to help run: www.at-peace.net

Sharp Zaurus->HP Jornada->Sony Clie T615->Treo 650 (CDMA)->Treo 755p->Palm Pre (Disappointed) -> Iphone4 (Happy)
    I've used DVD Catalyst to convert DVDs to a mobile format. Put in the DVD, select the device (or screen size) and click a button for it to start. Quick and easy. And FREE.
    Fair Use Wizard is free and has an iPhone profile that will convert a DVD to an mpeg4 playable on iPhone or Pre.

FairUse Wizard - Easy DVD to iPhone, iPod Touch, iPod Classic, AppleTV, Zune, Xbox 360, PS3, Standalone DivX Player, TiVO HD. Encode with DivX, XviD, H.264, VP7 and ffVFW codecs!

I use it to make high-quality h.264 rips for my media center but it is very flexible and also makes nice smaller versions for mobile devices.
    I use Handbrake with the iPhone setting.
    Handbrake for both Windows and Mac is 100% free and works seamlessly. While it takes roughly the length of the actual movie to encode, the video and audio are flawless. Easy to use for the uninitiated, and deeply customizable for the geekier types.
    What kind of battery life are you guys getting with movies? I haven't played with this yet, but I've got a couple of long flights coming up and would love to take a few movies with me. Can you get through a couple movies on a single charge? Less? More?
    Global Posts
    154 Global Posts
    All these mentoned are great. BUT, if your the kind of person that wants to convert a movie fast and easy use the link below. I have used this for years now and workr PERFECTLY. You can convert right of a dvd and make a 5 min clip and copy it to you pre and see if you like the quality. I make 450-500MB full movies and they look awsome.

Woth every penny.

http://www.pqdvd.com/dvd-to-iphone-m...converter.html
    thepiratebay.org
    Global Posts
    540 Global Posts
    +1 for handbrake.

also, my battery life at the moment will not last a full movie, but I think my pre may be bad.
    neathings - neat·things and apps for webOS
    Global Posts
    408 Global Posts
    +1 for hamdbrake. Free and works great for xbox and other conversions.
    Quote Originally Posted by robbys22 View Post
    ...it takes roughly the length of the actual movie to encode...
    That is largely dependent on your CPU speed/number of cores. Video encoding is one of the more CPU-intensive tasks you can do on a computer and it will usually peg a CPU at 99% for the duration. Multi-cores help a lot with this so if you have a nice fast Core 2 Duo or Core 2 Quad it's not so bad.

The machine I use for video at work has two dual-core Xeon processors and it's relatively fast. I can encode 3 or 4 hours of video in an hour or two.
    I have gotten the best results from Handbrake. If you want movies that look very good, but are less that half as big as those produced using Handbrake's iPhone preset, start with the iPhone preset, but then change the following settings:

On the "Video" tab:
    1) Click on "Average bitrate (kbps)", and set it to 450.
    2) Put a check in the "2-pass encoding" box.
    3) Put a check in thee "Turbo first pass" box.

From the "Presets" menu:
    4) Select "New Preset..."
    5) Enter the name you want to use for this new preset. (I used "Pre 450")
    6) Select "Current" from the "Use Picture Size:" pull-don menu.
    7) Add a description, if you want.
    8) Click the "add" button.

To save time, you can set this new preset as your default by choosing "Select Default Preset" from the "Presets" menu.

That is it! Try it out for yourself. If it does not look good enough for you, just bump up the bit rate to something like 500Kbps. My tests showed only a marginal increase in quality going from 450kbps to 500kbps. The 2-pass encoding takes much longer, but the result looks better that single-pass encoding at the same data rate. You are trading a one-time longer encoding process for the ability to pack twice as many movies into your Pre!
    Handbrake works great for me.
    Quote Originally Posted by neodorian View Post
    Fair Use Wizard is free and has an iPhone profile that will convert a DVD to an mpeg4 playable on iPhone or Pre.

FairUse Wizard - Easy DVD to iPhone, iPod Touch, iPod Classic, AppleTV, Zune, Xbox 360, PS3, Standalone DivX Player, TiVO HD. Encode with DivX, XviD, H.264, VP7 and ffVFW codecs!

I use it to make high-quality h.264 rips for my media center but it is very flexible and also makes nice smaller versions for mobile devices.
    I used DVDFab to rip a while back when I had a Storm for a few weeks. Does Fair Use and Handbrake also rip? I know Handbrake will encode to the right size, but does it rip from the original DVD also?
    It's not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent, but the one most responsive to change” - Darwin
    Global Posts
    169 Global Posts
    I have used DVD Catalyst 3 with no problems whatsoever. Only $9.95 right now. It is truly a "1 click" solution to ripping original DVD movies that play and look really good on the Pre.
    My Evolution
    Palm Pilot
    Palm V
    Clie N760C
    Treo 650
    Centro
    Pre
    Global Posts
    32 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by taharka View Post
    What kind of battery life are you guys getting with movies? I haven't played with this yet, but I've got a couple of long flights coming up and would love to take a few movies with me. Can you get through a couple movies on a single charge? Less? More?
    Yea I wondered since you'd have all of the wireless functions disabled it should significantly extend the battery life. Anyone feel like turning on Airplane Mode, firing up some movies, and telling us how far you get? I would, but what fun is it to take the world's most connected phone and neuter it temporarily?
    Global Posts
    483 Global Posts
    All you guys use handbrake so I figured I would try it. I hit start and it does nothing. I am using that Streamclip mentioned in the first post, going to sleep so I will see if it worked in the morning.
    Quote Originally Posted by neodorian View Post

I've been using FairUseWizard for years. It is slow as molasses converting, but "set it and forget it" easy. I just hit a couple buttons and walk away and 2 to 3 hours later I have a converted movie waiting for me. Highly recommended.
    Are you all using original DVD movies, or your own recordings? I tried Handbrake and a few others from CNET. I cant seem to get past copy protection. Legally you are able to make a copy of anything for your own use. I would love to know what software gets past this. Or what setting are to be used? .264....mp4...mpeg4...320x480?......yes, kinda novice with this. Any help is help appreciated!!!

IGO
    GIVE DEBBIE THE CHIMP.....GIVE DEBBIE THE CHIMP!!!
    Handbrake. Been converting to MP4s for my Touch Pro so I'm all set, for the most part.

I convert to .mpv (ffmpeg, H.264 doesn't copy with iTunes for me with Handbrake.) with 640 kbps for video. Going higher, I've tried up to 768, doesn't seem to make the image quality any better.
    480x320, cause 480x272 gets stretched on the PrPrPré $anyway$.
    No "decomb", "Deinterlace" or anything else.
    I should really try 2pass encoding to see if I can get a little better picture.

AAC audio with stereo mixdown.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast