Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    So, as much as I tried to live with the light leakage, dead pixels and play on the slider - this one I cannot live with. The keyboard died this morning. I have the box with sunset picture on it, just in case you're wondering about the batch. It came with 1.0.2 pre-installed as well. Glad it happened within the 30 day window.

I guess the good ol' Treo 600 back to the rescue..
    did you try echanging? Sounds like you just got a bad unit.
    Went from iPhone to Pre and love it!
    Quote Originally Posted by pandit.manish View Post
    So, as much as I tried to live with the light leakage, dead pixels and play on the slider - this one I cannot live with. The keyboard died this morning. I have the box with sunset picture on it, just in case you're wondering about the batch. It came with 1.0.2 pre-installed as well. Glad it happened within the 30 day window.

See ya!! Go buy a I phone!!!
  4.    #4  
    In the office right now, will go to the Sprint store in the evening. The battery is at 100%, and other than the keyboard everything is working fine. I rebooted it as well (Soft boot) but nothing. I'll have Sprint do the hard boot if they want to, as I do not want them giving me crap about taking the battery out, etc.
  5.    #5  
    Just came back from the store after returning the Pre. They offered me another Pre-owned Pre but I declined. Another option was waitlist, which already had 55 people on it. Anyway, I am back to my good ol' Treo 600. I sure will miss the Pre as it has the best smartphone OS I've ever used (and I develop apps for Android!). Hopefully Palm will work out the hardware issues in the next few months and I'll be around this forum for sure! Cannot wait to get the Pre 2.0..new wait begins
    oh man, that sucks. I think i'll hold on to my Best Buy Insurance for a few months. . This is really sad..
    Quote Originally Posted by xrayman34 View Post
    as a current pre owner and a former iphone owner you can't even compare the build quality of the two phones palm has really hit a home run with the OS but man did they get the hardware quality wrong. Its dissapointing.

Who'd have thunk it?
    Quote Originally Posted by bigblue4ever View Post
    as a current pre owner and a former iphone owner you can't even compare the build quality of the two phones palm has really hit a home run with the OS but man did they get the hardware quality wrong. Its dissapointing.
    Nothing is perfect, but I can already tell... this phone is not going to live up to even the most minor of daily use/abuse.

I've avoided sliders every since my PPC6700 ... Wow! What a brick compared to the fabulous, sleak Palm Pre.

I absolutely LOVE this phone... it's great. Big attention-grabber too. All of my iPhone friends have been drooling over my Pre... especially since Sprint's 3G network blows AT&T into the last decade.

My keyboard seems pretty good for now, but my Sprint Moto Q - after a year of use - some of the keys were not very reliable. Time will tell with the Pre.
    As a slider, it will NOT be as sturdy as a candy bar phone. The exposed screen also makes it more vulnerable. This is just physics and not necessarily associated with poor design. I had insurance on my Centro and this baby has that. I also installed a skin and will keep it on the touchstone or in it's holster.

So far my hardware is fine, but I do wonder about the 10,000th time I friction-press the slider open. Ah well, I killed several treos breaking the antenna in my pocket. I guess it goes with the territory.

Also the pre is likely to have a 12-18 month lifespan with me because I'm looking forward to more RAM, faster processor and new 4G technology in the not-to-distant future.
    Global Posts
    34 Global Posts
    My keyboard died today too - Store replaced it without any discussion...
  12.    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by ndawes View Post
    My keyboard died today too - Store replaced it without any discussion...
    Did you get a new one? They offered me a pre-owned saying a lady returned it within 5 days as she found it too complex to use.

On a similar note, I saw the demo phone they had in the store - its slider was *way* off, and I could clearly see as much as 5mm play. Which means with regular use/abuse, the phone may not last for long as ejohnnyk noted. The warranty is worth every penny with this one, just like my '99 ML 320
    Global Posts
    110 Global Posts
    A corporate store would not offer a used phone in such a manner.
    If at first you don't succeed, keep on sucking till you do succeed.
    I'll have Sprint do the hard boot if they want to, as I do not want them giving me crap about taking the battery out, etc.
    Strange. FWIW, I took my white box Pre out when I first got it, powered it up, it activated and I got to screen that asked me to create profile. My keyboard didn't work no matter what I tried. Sat on hold w/ waiting for tech support but meantime decided to take battery out and put it back in. Low and behold the keyboard worked from then on, and I haven't had a problem with it since. I've also warm booted and cold booted (removed battery) several more times in the course of playing around with it, replacing backplate with TS backplate, etc. and still no more keyboard problems.

Anyway come back and see us- you'll be hearing a lot more news about the Pre in the months ahead!
    Submit your Pre feature requests and vote up the best at http://pre.uservoice.com
    I was having the slider closing crash with my new replacment pre so I swapped out my spare battery.. low and behold my keyboard quit working. It was lit up but nothing. did a hard reboot, nothing. Had to put the original battery back in, wth?
    Global Posts
    104 Global Posts
    Mine also stopped working, did a hard reset and its worked fine ever since.
    Global Posts
    35 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by xrayman34 View Post
    what is with these palm fanboys being ******s on a pre forum?

I really like my pre (now that its exchanged), but do we need to be dicks?
    Global Posts
    66 Global Posts
    I agree that Palm has hit the bullseye with WebOS, it's the slickest mobile OS I've ever come across.

What happened to Palm quality though? The Treos were felt much more solid. When compared to the HTC sliders, Palm definitely falls short.

Does anyone know the contract manufacturer who builds the Pre?
    Quote Originally Posted by rianflynn View Post
    what is with these palm fanboys being ******s on a pre forum?

I really like my pre (now that its exchanged), but do we need to be dicks?
    He does... he's assuming you're hating on the product instead you're preferring to go through another Palm item (which you've clearly stated) and maybe wait for a newer build of the Pre. But hey, you can't spell assume without an A$$!
    Global Posts
    162 Global Posts
    try taking the battery out for a minute and putting it back in. bet it fixes it......
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast