Global Posts
    408 Global Posts
    They where talking about the sale of the iphone 3G S today and this was a quote out of there acticle:

Ironically, industry observers believe Apple's success itself may eventually drive some developers to competing stores where their apps would be less likely to get lost in the crowd and have a greater chance of standing out.

"I would think that developers would want to look at a lot of these other platforms, like the Palm Pre, because they would still be so early on in the development cycle that they could get their app out there," Siegler said.

"If the Palm Pre ends up taking off and sells millions of units then they're much more likely to be successful."

I hope they are right
    Global Posts
    666 Global Posts
    iPhone and Pre competition is good. I hope it stays this way for the benefit of the consumers.
    Plus all those web developers who know html, css and javascript can also write apps for the Pre.
    Quote Originally Posted by kurpaige View Post
    [I]Ironically, industry observers believe Apple's success itself may eventually drive some developers to competing stores where their apps would be less likely to get lost in the crowd and have a greater chance of standing out.
    that's been my exact feeling when i hear people worry about apps coming to the Pre's App Store -- potential devs being able to get in and get established early and be big fish in a small pond. With the reports of hundreds of thousands of phones sold, people still cramming waiting lists, and the former head of Apple's iPod division now leading Palm, I think it's safe to say: units will be moved.
    Submit your Pre feature requests and vote up the best at http://pre.uservoice.com
    Quote Originally Posted by miles4000 View Post
    Plus all those web developers who know html, css and javascript can also write apps for the Pre.
    Those are the developers who are more likely to write apps for the Pre. As for the CNN story, its pure speculation. I get my news from the Daily Show anyway.
    I think we'll definitely start seeing apps being written first for the Pre, simply because it's so much easier. They might ultimately be more robust on the iPhone until Palm opens up the platform a little more, but once the SDK is released I think we'll see a huge groundswell of support. Until then, all I need to hold me over is a good Facebook app and Solitaire.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
    iPhone opened up the development community to the possibilities of creating awesome apps and making some money... so yea, that source will definitely want to expand and spill into other mobile marketplaces
    ( pre-wallpapers.com ) - Over 7000+ Wallpapers for your Palm Pre... Enjoy!
    Competition = Innovation. That is all.
    I agree with the article. Every app probably gets tried out because there are only a few available rigt now.
    Quote Originally Posted by wynand32 View Post
    I think we'll definitely start seeing apps being written first for the Pre, simply because it's so much easier.
    That depends on the application and the skills of the developer. A hello world app is trivial in WebOS. A new email client may be much easier in Android. A developer who has been working with the Mac & iPhone SDKs for a few years, may find WebOS challenging.