Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I had to get my third PRe today. First had white blotches on the bottom. The second had 5 dead pixels.

Now I got my third one and the screen looks fine, but I noticed what I thought looked like a scratch in the gesture area, all the way to the left hand side edge, right below the screen on the left side. It only shows up when the screen is on. If you are in sleep mode you don't see it. But when it is on, it looks like a piece of circuitry or scratch inside the unit. I didn't notice this on the other 2 Pre's I had.

Can someone else check and see if I am the only one that has this, or is it suppose to be visible? Is it a inside scratch or is a circuitry?
    Global Posts
    666 Global Posts
    Nothing on mine.
    I'm not sure I'm seeing it. However, with the screen off, and with the light hitting it just right, I can just make out a network of dots about 1cm apart connected with diagonal lines, which I assume is for the capacitive touch. But it is on the whole surface of the screen. Perhaps this is what you're seeing?
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
    Quote Originally Posted by dfine1966 View Post
    I had to get my third PRe today. First had white blotches on the bottom. The second had 5 dead pixels.

Now I got my third one and the screen looks fine, but I noticed what I thought looked like a scratch in the gesture area, all the way to the left hand side edge, right below the screen on the left side. It only shows up when the screen is on. If you are in sleep mode you don't see it. But when it is on, it looks like a piece of circuitry or scratch inside the unit. I didn't notice this on the other 2 Pre's I had.

Can someone else check and see if I am the only one that has this, or is it suppose to be visible? Is it a inside scratch or is a circuitry?
    I had mine on the right hand side. it was only noticeable when the backlight was lit. I returned mine for another pre
  5.    #5  
    I not on the screen itself, it is in the black gesture area. I swear it looks like circuitry inside. I see the dots on the screen. It is not that. It almost looks like the internal antenna. Just look below the screen on the left hand side, while the phone screen is on, and see if you see anything beside black.
    I not on the screen itself, it is in the black gesture area. I swear it looks like circuitry inside. I see the dots on the screen. It is not that. It almost looks like the internal antenna. Just look below the screen on the left hand side, while the phone screen is on, and see if you see anything beside black.
    I can't see anything but black.
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
  7.    #7  
    I am looking at it, and I am starting to think it is a scratch on it. But it is in the inside, not the outside. How am I suppose to exchange a third one.
    Global Posts
    284 Global Posts
    I am looking at it, and I am starting to think it is a scratch on it. But it is in the inside, not the outside. How am I suppose to exchange a third one.
    I am sorry but I will be the one to ask... Seriously this supposed circiutry that you can see would make you return it AGAIN for a total of 4 different Pre's? Wow, to each their own!

I am not bashing you by any stretch of the means, I am just amazed at what some people will return them for. Trust me, I want perfection too but a little circiutry showing that it takes a few minutes to actually point out at the right angle and light.
    I think I may have something similar, and I also have dust on the inside of the screen :/
  10.    #10  
    It actually might be a scratch inside, that is noticeable when screen is on. The first two had serious problems with the big white blotches on it. The second had at least 5 dead pixels which were in plain sight. This one has a scratch on the inside of it in an area that you will see all the time. So your saying I should just not worry and take it. So if you bought a car and it had problems with it, you would accept that. If they were giving me the phone for free, I wouldn't worry about it. But I did pay good money for this phone as a new phone, not used.

I am just having bad luck with this store, with bad phones.

I will have to decide if it is worth trading in again.
    Mine has a diagonal line of light on the left side of the gesture area. I assumed it's just a little light leak under the likely translucent gesture area. No big deal for me.
    Mine is just fine , thankyou.
    http://forums.webosnation.com/members/stargate-albums-my-pre-picture960-moving-pre.gif
    Hope its not the beginning of a crack
    You are not mistaken it is a manufacturing flaw. It is easily viewable in the dark with the backlight on. It seems to be a misplacement of the screen border under the plastic. My Pre has this and I also believe that both my sister and her fiances' Pre have it. The first night I had my Pre I thought I had cracked the screen, but when I compared it I was relieved.
    Global Posts
    284 Global Posts
    It actually might be a scratch inside, that is noticeable when screen is on. The first two had serious problems with the big white blotches on it. The second had at least 5 dead pixels which were in plain sight. This one has a scratch on the inside of it in an area that you will see all the time. So your saying I should just not worry and take it. So if you bought a car and it had problems with it, you would accept that. If they were giving me the phone for free, I wouldn't worry about it. But I did pay good money for this phone as a new phone, not used.

I am just having bad luck with this store, with bad phones.

I will have to decide if it is worth trading in again.
    I was initially thinking it was a circuitry thing and wanted to take a look at mine in the sun light during my lunch break and found nothing of the sort. Meaning I didn't find any circiuts like at the top right of the earpeice (what is that anyways?) So in other words it might just be a scratch/crack.

Do you work in the construction buisness? Is the phone getting bumped a lot?
    If it's what mine has, I'm 99% sure it's NOT a crack. If you look closely it looks like the corner of the glass or screen or something. Simply a little light leak, and if that's your only issue, I'd suggest keeping the phone.
  17.    #17  
    Went back to the store and the manager looked at his to compare to mine. You can see the outline on his just like mine, but his was harder to see. Not as much light going through. He said it is light leakage, not a scratch. I saw what looks like an outline too of the board. I guess some of the Pre's have this problem, some don't. Probably all have this screen line, but you really can't see it unless you are really looking close.
    Global Posts
    284 Global Posts
    So you didn't get it replaced? Sounds like no since the manager had one to compare it to and it had something similar.

You did the right thing in taking it to them to look at... I just have not seen what you are talking about on my beloved Pre.

And I was refuring to circuitry on my Pre just to the right of the earpeice. It is clearly two peices of circuits or something as I have seen the pics from the disection
    Quote Originally Posted by Hamilton View Post
    I think I may have something similar, and I also have dust on the inside of the screen :/
    I also have one tiny little spec of dust too. Bugs me a little but I'm kinda over it now.
  20.    #20  
    No, I didn't get it replaced, yet. I still want another opinion before I make a decision. I am going to take it to a Sprint Owned store instead and ask them what it is. The store I bought it from use to be a Nextel store, it is called Sprint Store by the Customer Center. The Manager said he would have to order another one for me, even though he had a couple left. This would be my fourth, so I understand. If the other store tells me that it is the border of the board with the light shining through, I will probably keep it. I am planning on going tomorrow to find out.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast