Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 28
  1.    #1  
    Just curious what you guys think. If you have an other wise good Pre (no pixel problems, no crashes, no heat issues, good battery etc.) and your only complaints are a slider than turns 2 degress to the right(yea, it's pretty narly) and some screwy reception, would you TRY to get an exchange or just accept one flaw to live without 6 others?
  2. #2  
    I'm kind of in this situation right now. I notice the slider more because it's the only issue I have. I'm scared to return it and get one with a ton more issues.

    Personally, I think I'll just live with it... the Pre is awesome otherwise.
  3. #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by Centro85 View Post
    Just curious what you guys think. If you have an other wise good Pre (no pixel problems, no crashes, no heat issues, good battery etc.) and your only complaints are a slider than turns 2 degress to the right(yea, it's pretty narly) and some screwy reception, would you TRY to get an exchange or just accept one flaw to live without 6 others?
    The slider is designed to have some give. If it was extremely tight it would be easy to break. This is normal in most things and even if you got a new Pre after a while it would also have the same thing.

    The reception should be a software fix IMHO, so if everything else works then I'd keep it.
    "There are 10 types of people in the world, those that understand binary and those that don't"
  4. vkewalra's Avatar
    Posts
    42 Posts
    Global Posts
    43 Global Posts
    #4  
    I'm in the same situation. There's a bit of give at the top and there's a little twist side to side. I don't notice it as much any more as I'm getting used to lighter touches with the capacitive touch screen versus my old resistive touchscreen.

    Other than that no problems with pixels, resetting when sliding, or any of the other myriad of (likely low occurrence) issues that are being reported here.

    I'm going to stop by a Sprint store this weekend and see what they have. Extensively check out the one I walk out of the store with, if any.
  5. #5  
    Mine has a little give. One thing that might have contributed was when other people were taking a look at it they were trying to open it like a flip phone. I was about to have a heart-attach when I saw them do that.
  6. #6  
    I'm in the same boat also. Aside from my slider seeming to get more and more loose, everything else on my Pre is perfect(knock on wood). However, I see most of yall complaining of the looseness are only complaining of the slider being able to move to the right. Mine is actually starting to be able to go to the left a tad bit now. I may stop at the Sprint store tomorrow and see what the Rep says. In fact, the Rep told me, before he even took mine out the box to activate it, that the one he was using had some wobble.
  7. akarol's Avatar
    Posts
    164 Posts
    Global Posts
    628 Global Posts
    #7  
    The moment you decide to live with it, the moment you will enjoy your device a lot more. These phones are prone to wobble and no matter how many times you replace it, you're going to get it eventually. It's been the same with all slider phones I've used.
  8. #8  
    I hear alot of people talking about the looseness, but not as much of how the slider springs up and closed. Mine is loose, but what i hate more is that it does not spring up like it should. I bought two, one for myself and one for a friend, so I compared. Mine seems to drag, while his is smooth and springs up nicely.

    At the time I didnt think about the looseness, so next time I see him I will check that.

    So if yours is loose, does it spring up good or not?

    Mine is loose and does not spring up good.
  9. #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by Centro85 View Post
    Just curious what you guys think. If you have an other wise good Pre (no pixel problems, no crashes, no heat issues, good battery etc.) and your only complaints are a slider than turns 2 degress to the right(yea, it's pretty narly) and some screwy reception, would you TRY to get an exchange or just accept one flaw to live without 6 others?
    I dropped mine on the first day in a grocery store, hard floor, but not concrete. Noticed right away that it rotated a LOT and thought I had done that. Checked demo model at Sprint and it was tight, so I requested exchange. I probably made the problem worse, but after checking THREE phones, we found one that is tight and only slides up and down. The first two rotated, brand new, the same as mine that I dropped. Regardless, it bothered me and was not willing to keep since I determined if the DEMO model can stay tight, there must be others that can stay tight as well.

    Unfortunately, 2nd phone dropped a week later from my car seat to the concrete floor in the garage (seriously 1.5 feet) and landed on the top right corner. Power/Screen Saver button now completely inop. This is so ridiculous because you can't even SEE a mark from the drop, but the phone is broken. Sadly, the Pre is too fragile to be a cell phone so I am back on a Blackberry already. Phone's gotta go back the the drawing board because I think they forgot it was a phone when they designed it! I'll be posting to that effect elsewhere later
  10. #10  
    Mine moves a little bit to the right as well and I'm glad I found this thread. Is there anyone who doesn't get this problem?
    Palm M100 => Treo 755P => Treo 800w => Treo 755p => Palm Pre => No more Palm/HP products
  11. Delta-9's Avatar
    Posts
    135 Posts
    Global Posts
    137 Global Posts
    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by chapelhill View Post
    Sadly, the Pre is too fragile to be a cell phone so I am back on a Blackberry already. Phone's gotta go back the the drawing board because I think they forgot it was a phone when they designed it! I'll be posting to that effect elsewhere later
    After comparing my Pre to my iPod Touch the Pre does seem like its a little too fragile in its construction. My Verizon Razr2 has lived through > a dozen drops on the concrete. I've ordered a full body protector for the Pre and I am carrying insurance on it because I know I'll destroy at least one phone in 12 months.
  12. #12  
    Mine does a little to right as well when closed. My wife's does the same only a little more than mine. I have the insurance, so as much as I will use the phone I am not sending it back until it actually breaks.

    I had an LG Rumor and I slid the hell out of that thing for 9 months and it is still tight. The Pre is slightly cheaper made IMO but hopefully Palm can make future models with a little more quality.

    Just enjoy the phone and use the hell out of it. We all know we are going to jump on the next gadget toy from Palm! ............... or at least I will!
  13. dpc
    dpc is offline
    dpc's Avatar
    Posts
    433 Posts
    Global Posts
    439 Global Posts
    #13  
    I'm in the same situation. Other than the slider this thing is awesome. So I'm just going to hold on to it. I mean, as long as the wobble doesn't get worse then it is now I'm good.
  14. MentalWard's Avatar
    Posts
    9 Posts
    Global Posts
    10 Global Posts
    #14  
    Yeah...
    I noticed mine has been gettign looser and looser. On the design level, there should be a little "grip" orsoemthing for your thumb so you can push Straight up insted of pussing up from the side...
    I also have th white glows on the bottom corners.
    I think i want to exchange, but i dont know if the glows are on everyone's phone, or just some.
    If it a combo of Both, then i will exchange...
    additionally, my battery life has gotten strangly better over the past week, but the back Still gets so hot it's hard to hold. Seriously, it gets Way up there...
  15. #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by ziggymars View Post
    I hear alot of people talking about the looseness, but not as much of how the slider springs up and closed. Mine is loose, but what i hate more is that it does not spring up like it should. I bought two, one for myself and one for a friend, so I compared. Mine seems to drag, while his is smooth and springs up nicely.

    At the time I didnt think about the looseness, so next time I see him I will check that.

    So if yours is loose, does it spring up good or not?

    Mine is loose and does not spring up good.
    You just described my phone to a t. It's annoying but since I already did one exchange and the nightmare of restoring my new Pre I am hesitant to do another for this issue.
  16.    #16  
    Yea, mine is like most people here, but a little worse. The screen rotates maybe 2-3 degrees to the right, has a little wobble to the left,and moves in and out when pressing the top or bottom of the screen. The keyboard has lost some of its spring, but it's still there.

    I'll hold on to it a little closer to the 30 days and see what happens. Much more play and I think she's going back though. Palm has never been known for quality in my opinion, but this is a whole new level for palm..
  17. #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by tripsbacks View Post
    Mine does a little to right as well when closed. My wife's does the same only a little more than mine. I have the insurance, so as much as I will use the phone I am not sending it back until it actually breaks.

    I had an LG Rumor and I slid the hell out of that thing for 9 months and it is still tight. The Pre is slightly cheaper made IMO but hopefully Palm can make future models with a little more quality.

    Just enjoy the phone and use the hell out of it. We all know we are going to jump on the next gadget toy from Palm! ............... or at least I will!
    That's my feeling, just use it until the thing completely breaks and then get a replacement then. My guess is right now any phone you swap for you have good odds of getting a replacement that has same issue. You have to give them time to make changes to construction/parts, etc. Silly to swap now IMHO.
    "There are 10 types of people in the world, those that understand binary and those that don't"
  18. #18  
    I sometimes catch myself being a bit bothered by the side-side movement as well. My solution? Pull out my HTC Mogul and slide it a few times (and, reminisce about my Touch Pro). That usually kicks me out of this particular frame of mind.

    Seriously, the poor quality of my HTC phones isn't an excuse for the Pre. But, it is a reminder that while the Pre isn't perfect, it's still pretty darn good.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
  19. #19  
    Whew! I'm glad it's not just me. It makes sense that it does give a little. This is my first "slider", so I guess I'm just a little paranoid.

    TIP: To minimize wear and tear, I leave it open when I'm in power user mode (ie...on the porcelain throne ; ) )
  20. #20  
    On the palm.com forum some guy with a loose slider when closed put some little padded rubber things that keeps it from moving. He took a picture of it as well. I tried the same last night with those little padded foam stickers that my daughter has. It kind of fixed the problem. My phone has just a 1mm give to the right and does not really bother me, but I just wanted to see if the padded sticker really worked.

    Check it out.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions