Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Global Posts
    137 Global Posts
    I would like to see people's download speeds over BT tethering -- for those that have followed the directions like those posted HERE on Engadget (amoung other places)

Please keep the posts about "how did you tether" off of this thread. I would like to see download speeds.

Global Posts
    137 Global Posts
    Come on... someone else post some speed test via their tethered Pre
    Post em ppl. I need to know if I can play WoW through this thing =P
    Neil
    Handspring Visor Deluxe > Treo 600 > Palm Pre > iPhone 4s & Touchpad 32gb
    I don't think that many people have tethered, as there seem to be a zillion steps to get it done. And pitfalls aplenty along the way. If was easier, I'd be doing it right now ;-)
    By the way Delta, that speed looks dismal. Where are you located?
    I just got .95 Mb/s from that site on my evdo rev-o BB Curve. (ping 262ms)
    Verizon, Motorola Q9C

Oh wait - did you mean Pre tethering?
    i will try this tonight and post, on a side note. On my htc touch diamond i used to get about 800kbps and 1.5-1.8 mbps when using the usb or wifi to tether.

bluetooth will always be a lot slower since the bluetooth spec is limited in bandwidth when compared to evdo. so 800kbps is the about the max you will ever get, you are not maxed out by EVDO but from the capacity of bluetooth.
    I think speedtest.net is a little too generous with their results or maybe dslreports.com is stingy but they are always different. What about you guys, try both sites?

Global Posts
    149 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ronnienyc View Post
    I don't think that many people have tethered, as there seem to be a zillion steps to get it done.
    Exactly! These are Pre users, after all. If it takes more than two steps, their eyes start to bleed and they pass out.
    >++++++++++[<+++++++>-]<.>+++[<+++++>-]<.>+++[<------>-]<.>++[<++++>-]<.>++++++[<------->-]<-.>+++++++[<++++++++>-]<+.>++[<----->-]<.>++[<+++>-]<.>++++[<------------->-]<..
    Quote Originally Posted by gbm85 View Post
    Exactly! These are Pre users, after all. If it takes more than two steps, their eyes start to bleed and they pass out.
    People are smarter than what you give them credit for.

Maybe if there werent a dozen different sets of directions for doing it & maybe if just one of them was written halfway decent, it wouldnt be such a chore.
    Global Posts
    137 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ronnienyc View Post
    I don't think that many people have tethered, as there seem to be a zillion steps to get it done. And pitfalls aplenty along the way. If was easier, I'd be doing it right now ;-)
    By the way Delta, that speed looks dismal. Where are you located?
    I just got .95 Mb/s from that site on my evdo rev-o BB Curve. (ping 262ms)
    Reran my tests from speedtest and dslreports.

I'm in Central PA

Global Posts
    22 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by neoGTR22 View Post
    Post em ppl. I need to know if I can play WoW through this thing =P
    You won't be able to, well you probaly can, but basically you have to go through the SOCKS proxy in order to access internet. There are programs that will do it for you so you don't have to set it up manually, but idk if wow would be supported for that.

As far as speeds go, when I had my upstage tethered, I was able to play wow fine.
    Global Posts
    49 Global Posts
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Global Posts
    137 Global Posts
    Dsackr: was that over bluetooth?
    I could not find a way to start a new theread, so...

Have any of you tried this for tethering?

iPhone 3GS: O2 wages war on free tethering software - Telegraph

help.BenM.at - Mobileconfigs für dein iPhone | BenM.at
    This was run while tethered over wifi just to get an idea of what the phone can do without any bluetooth bottleneck. I've had better speeds on sprint EVDO usb/pcmcia adapters, but this is still plenty fast for what I do (web, email, ssh).

Last edited by u235; 06/23/2009 at 02:48 AM.
    Global Posts
    773 Global Posts

Works great.
    mine is in my sig ran 5 test cleared the cache on the browser each time

using my acer aspire tethered to my palm pre
    Global Posts
    137 Global Posts
    cjmedina26: was that over BT or USB?

Shoot me an email if you did this over USB.
    Last edited by Delta-9; 07/22/2009 at 08:09 PM.
    does doing this adversely effect the pre? meaning, when i'm not using my laptop or i'm no where near it, will the browser function as normal? what about when updates come out, will these changes be overwritten when the update installs?

i guess what i'm asking is... what are the side affects from enabling this?
    Global Posts
    76 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gbm85 View Post
    Nice smart answer, but like your answer there is not thought behind it.

I don't find that I need tethering with the Pre. I used tethering on previous phones because I wanted a connection and better browser while traveling. I always had my computer and cell phone, so it was easy.

NOw with the Pre getting emails for me and providing a nice browser, I don't have a need. On short 2-3 day trips, I don't even carry the laptop.
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast