Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Global Posts
    453 Global Posts
    It's been said already, but speeds are going to be dependent on whether it is Bluetooth tethering or USB tethering. I'm going to test right now using Bluetooth tethering, and report back. BTW- I followed brand new instructions posted HERE for tethering a couple hours ago. Simple. I was up and running inside of 3 minutes.

Update: I tested this over bluetooth. My speeds are abysmal. The worst part? My Pre was connected to my wireless network.
    Last edited by buyrihn; 07/06/2009 at 08:48 PM.
    Global Posts
    137 Global Posts
    was able to get USB tethering working, now, too.

Though my speeds arent much better over USB vs BT. (See below for my best results from each (from my home) through different servers)

USB:

BT:
    Via bluetooth:

My wireless card for my computer broke a few day ago, once I get tethering via wifi i dont think imma need a new card.
    Global Posts
    49 Global Posts
    Acer PC tethered. Has anyone gotten an idea if the tethered data goes against the 5 gig cap?

Also, Dont try to be the fastest. Be the honest person for others who NEED to tether. i have posted three different tests for an accurate average.

Quote Originally Posted by Grubish View Post
    Acer PC tethered. Has anyone gotten an idea if the tethered data goes against the 5 gig cap?

Also, Dont try to be the fastest. Be the honest person for others who NEED to tether. i have posted three different tests for an accurate average.

you want a honest answer, your not suppose to tether your palm pre at all. there is NO plan for it yet. the 5 gig cap applies to data cards, not phones butis suppose to be a soft cap. so word of advice dont go crazy with it by using torrents or streaming video.

using my acer aspire tethered to my palm pre
    Tethered through usb

Quick questions, I just got tethering working, is it normal to have it take maybe a minute for it to connect? It would initially try to find the network then it won't find the network but a minute later it will be connected? I guess as long as it works I can't complain
    Global Posts
    79 Global Posts

Tethering doesn't take too long once you figure out usbnet.. This is over usb.
    Atlanta over USBnet

This is using Wifi Ad-hoc tethering, its basically the same speed i get with my aircard.

I have been using it to play WoW all day with no lag.
    Finally tethered!!!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Treo 600 -> Treo 650 -> Treo 700P -> Treo 800W -> Launch Day Pre (RIP 08/13/10) -> Replacement PRE
    Global Posts
    40 Global Posts
    this is tethering over wifi...

i guess the sprint network in LA is pretty fast

Using the speedtest app on the iphone 3G. Tethered to my Pre via WIFI, with 2bars of reception.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cactusone View Post
    Finally tethered!!!
    Why does your ISP show COX? Should be Sprint PCS if tethered...
    Global Posts
    49 Global Posts
    WiFi:

Ping: 300ms
    Download: 2.04Mb/s
    Upload: .30Mb/s

BT

Ping: 323ms
    Download: 1.24Mb/s
    Upload: .28Mb/s

I might also add, that these are the fastest BT speeds I've had. Which is somewhat interesting to me. I may stick with BT if they can keep these speeds up. Well, at least until the MyTether app gets some security to the WiFi

(I tried to post the image link to speedtest.net, but I do not have a high enough post count yet)
    Global Posts
    188 Global Posts
    Tethered via Bluetooth (slower, but fast enough, and I'm too lazy to setup USBnet on my Mac)

(Believe it or not, that's a better ping and more consistent downstream speed than my home RoadRunner connection - I might just try to hook this up to my desktop PC and use it to play some Left 4 Dead...)
    Global Posts
    49 Global Posts
    Lets try the links again now that my post count is up a few:

WiFi:

BT:

And my BT speeds keep getting even better. WOW, I was unaware BT was even capable of speeds even close to these!
    Last edited by zaharris; 07/11/2009 at 05:24 PM.
    Sorry, posting #10 so I can read signatures of speed tests. Please disregard!
    Got 1.28 @ home in Athens, GA and got 1.89 at work in snellville, ga Using mytether thru WiFi
    SCK Manager
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast