1.    #1  
    The not so good.

* Dialer has dialed people for me numerous times without my knowledge.
    * Preference settings are HORRIBLE in every category.
    * multiple layers to get to text messaging another phone
    * gets hot FAST
    * Pandora runs great but sucks the battery really quick
    * CANNOT SET THE PHONE BETWEEN MY LEFT SHOULDER AND EAR
    WITHOUT MUFFLING OTHERS ABILITY TO HEAR ME!!!!!! DUE TO
    PLACEMENT OF MIC
    I have a toddler and this is extremely annoying as that is my default ear.
    * Ear phones do not seat all the way in to mic jack and causes static/clicks
    * No video
    * Not enough email preferences settings
    * Touch screen sometimes doesn't work as it should
    * Would like to be able to place more than 4 icons at the bottom
    * Needs louder ringer My older ears don't hear as good
    * shuts itself down, shuts itself down, shuts itself down and button
    doesn't work 75% of the time to return it to usability. Battery removal. I
    have had it shut down in the middle of a texting conversation and had to
    take the battery out to use it ....3x now.
    * Cannot move icons from launcher to screen as I would like.
    * How about an auto missed calls pop up or at least a screen quick
    launch

THE GOOD

WONDERFUL SCREEN
    *Camera shots are awesome
    *Love the multitask
    *Email arrives flawlessly
    *Web browser works great
    *Works really fast in most circumstances
    *Small Q keyboard is actually pretty useable...but would rather have had it a
    tad larger, or at least the "A" and "Q" moved to the right a little more away
    from the red button.
    *Love love the back flick bar
    *Love the flick the app to closed with a flip of the finger..
    *Feels good in my hand
    *LOVE the touchstone....but its too expensive....how about a cheaper one
    for car!

All of the innovative things about this phone I really like but Palm should have taken a little longer with some preferences settings and usability for individual users. PLEASE MOVE THE SPEAK MIC. Why in the world did you put it on the left side of the phone like that? I cannot seem to get used to putting it under my right ear/shoulder. It feels unstable.

The really MOST annoying to me at this time are 4

Lack of Preferences

Placement of the mic you speak into

Shutting itself to black screen without reason and you can't get it back UP

Multiple layers to phone texting, missed calls

I see many other problems from others that I haven't stumbled upon yet.
    I am hoping that some of these issues get fixed and I don't have to take the phone back. I don't use Bluetooth so the design flaw of the speak into mic is a major problem for me and any suggestions would be great. Also that quirky button that is supposed to power up but only works sporadically.
    Your list of positives is shorter than the negatives.
    Quote Originally Posted by calsccr9 View Post
    Your list of positives is shorter than the negatives.
    So he has had more negative things to say than positive.
    If your phone turns off randomly, sounds like you got a defective unit. And my phone plays video, I copied a movie over that I had on my N95 and it plays just fine.

Quote Originally Posted by 1seer7 View Post
    design flaw of the speak into mic is a major problem for me and any suggestions would be great.
    Get a bluetooth headset.
    Use speaker phone.
    Get this.
    Or this.
    Developer must watch videos by Douglas Crockford of Yahoo:
    The JavaScript Programming Language part 1/4
    Theory of the DOM 1/3
    Advanced JavaScript 1/3
    Global Posts
    666 Global Posts
    Mic location is not a problem for me. SeanBlader is right. Just use a bluetooth headset.
    What do you mean by, "layers"? Does this mean you feel like you have too many presses & gestures before you get to a screen where you can start typing your text message?
    The not so good.

* Dialer has dialed people for me numerous times without my knowledge.
    * Preference settings are HORRIBLE in every category.
    * gets hot FAST
    PLACEMENT OF MIC
    I have a toddler and this is extremely annoying as that is my default ear.
    * Ear phones do not seat all the way in to mic jack and causes static/clicks
    * No video
    * Not enough email preferences settings
    * Touch screen sometimes doesn't work as it should
    * Would like to be able to place more than 4 icons at the bottom
    * Needs louder ringer My older ears don't hear as good
    launch

Too many posts here to look for more, so I am adding to yours: This phone sucks

I dropped my first pre on the first day and exagerated the rotation of the slider to a point where it was intolerable. Checked demo phone and it was still tight, so requested exchange. It took THREE new-in-box phones to find one that was tight.

unfortunately, I am on a clumsy streak (apparently) as I droped the second phone 1.5 feet from my car seat to the concrete garage floor and it (after searching for impact marks that are so minor they were hard to find) it apparently landed on the top right corner and now the power/screen saver button is completely inoperable. Literally, I can't lock the screen, a problem that will be double touched on in a minute. Bottom line is this phone is too fragile to be a phone. Everybody drops their phone sometimes and I am not willing to have a phone that breaks on the first, little, drop.

Why I hate this phone:

It is nearly impossible to dial one-handed and I really don't like having to use two hands to make a call and let's face it, we don't all steer well with our knees You can't hardly dial with your thumb without making a mistake and the "x" button is difficult to reach because (my) thumbs don't go up that direction without adjusting the position of my hand which takes away from the already uncomfortable one-handed dialing attempt. Likewise if you've completely screwed up the entry, the thumbs weren't designed to rotate backwards & downwards (try it) in order to swipe right to left in order to erase the whole number.

You have to lock the screen every time you finish making a call if you are planning to drop it in your pocket and then you must unlock it everytime you want to use it. How can the phone know when it's up to your face but not recognize that you put it in a dark pocket or case? Even without that odd, but seemingly logical detection (give the proximity sensor) for me, anything more than one-click to perform any basic and/or frequent action is a bad, bad design.

If you are searching for a contact, you (perhaps like me) might be incined to continue to use the phone with the slider up. I like the rigidity of the open slide in my hands while talking, it gives me a little more grip. But if you are in "phone mode", I think the phone should automatically end the call when you close the slider. I realize the Pre is designed to be used closed, but IF you have it open while on a call, it should default to disconnect on closure. This is just my opinion because so many phones are designed to hang up on sliding or closing flips. Regardless... for a phone that is touted on being "so much touch" anything that can help elliminate or reduce unwanted actions should be at the top of the design plan.

Speaking of touch... a keyboard is a bonus, but NO onscreen typing at all? Where is the on-screen keyboard for those that wanted a touch phone? What on earth were they thinking? Oh wait, see the previous paragraph. Just remember to slide your phone closed AND manually hang up AND remember to lock your phone afterwards.

Texting or typing anything...
    If you make a mistake, you can't "left arrow" without deleting. And trying to "tap" your finger in the exact part of the word you want to edit is virtually IMPOSSIBLE.

No profile ringers. Hasn't anyone other than Windows and Blackberry realized that junk email and even subscription-based emails come IN THE MIDDLE OF THE NIGHT? And turning off your ringer completely while sleeping is not really an option for safety and security? What about those of us with businesses where we might actually like to know if the alarm company is trying to call us in the middle of the night? What about a family emergency? (yes, I know there are particular settings for contacts... probably) But if you want me to ditch my home phone completely, don't leave me unreachable for emergencies just so that I can avoid being woken up by emails at 2-5 am!!!

Vibe is among the worst on a phone. Is this a good time to say this is supposed to be a phone?

(please allow me to apologize at this time, because I realize I've been ranting)

It is nearly impossible to handle the phone without touching the corners and I can't say how many times I accidentally put my phone in "airplane mode" because of pulling up the wireless settings on the top right corner. This should be a menu item, not an easy-to-screw-up top-screen touch setting.

The upper left touch button is also a waste and ironically, not as easy to hit, even on purpose. Maybe "lefties" have the opposite problem.

The bottom line for me, is that Palm did a great job designing a device that competes with the iPhone in regard to mail, contacts, entertainment, non-phone user interface etc. And I'm sure that in a reasonable amount of time, will surely complete in the apps department, especially with the ability to access legacy apps. But as a phone, this is TERRIBLE.

I always want the latest and greatest products and typically buy them to try them out. (Craigslist should have a following waiting for my sales!) But I've been desperate for a new, competitive phone from Sprint and am completely amazed that the phone and hardware is so bad.

I absolutely MUST HAVE access to my corporate email as well as my personal work and non-work emails, but no matter what, I have always maintained my opinion that whatever device I am using (as a phone) MUST be a GOOD phone first and everything else second.

This is a sad excuse for a phone and Palm better scramble, IMHO.
    I agree with some of the items, here's my pros and cons list of the phone based on my usage, in no particular order:

Cons:
    • No video
    • Preferences all over the place
    • Inability to remove "launchpad" button from the launcher (far right button)
    • Lack of apps in the App Catalog

Basically all of these fixable by updates and the release of the SDK.

Pros:
    • Compact size
    • Beautiful screen
    • WebOS
    • Multitasking
    • Synergy
    • Hardware keyboard
    • Replaceable battery
    • Signal (much better than my previous phone on AT&T)
    • Multitasking
    • Standard micro USB for charging
    • Camera quality

Again, this is in my experience and how I use my phone.
    Went from iPhone to Pre and love it!
    Global Posts
    408 Global Posts
    Third party, don't know if that a not so good for the phone itself

PLACEMENT OF MIC
    Tried once and the thing slid out and flew luckly onto my bed, whew!

* No video
    That was known before you got the phone

sounds defective, Got mine day one and it hasn't shut down or locked up once

How would you like to do it? Just drag one out and the new one in seems simple enough

launch
    Not sure I understand what you mean

You mention a lot about prefs, what prefs are missing that you feel need to be there?
    @1seer7: thanks for the review - you absolutely owe it to yourself to get a bluetooth headset rather than stressing with trying to hold it between your chin and shoulders - you're going to injure your neck if you're handling a toddler while trying to hold the phone!

woot.com has a jawbone 2 for $35 right now -- that's not a bad little unit. it usually retails for more than double.
    Submit your Pre feature requests and vote up the best at http://pre.uservoice.com
    Quote Originally Posted by chapelhill View Post

Texting or typing anything...
    If you make a mistake, you can't "left arrow" without deleting. And trying to "tap" your finger in the exact part of the word you want to edit is virtually IMPOSSIBLE.

Uh dude, hold down the orange button and run your finger left or right anywhere on the screen and the cursor will follow it left and right without deleting. Precise placement done. The owners manual is a great place to find stuff like this.
    Last edited by 9 Inch Pre Niss; 06/18/2009 at 12:59 PM.