1.    #1  
    Alright. I'm trying to decide...

Break my ETF with Verizon and pay the 75 bucks or wait until October when my Verizon is up and switch over to sprint...

One thing that is in the back of my mind. If I wait until October will the build of the phones be better. No wobbly keyboard when closed, no dead pixels and no light leakage? Is it possibly these issues will be fixed by october? Or is it basically how it is? Will they make slight changes on the hardware in the production process or is their template not going to change?

Just wondering... If I hold off if there will be a better hardware build. If it's pretty much going to stay the same I might just bite the bullet, pay the ETF and get my pre instead of waiting 4 months!

Thoughts and advice?
    As an owner of a Pre that I like a lot, I recommend holding off unless your phone is in real need of replacement. Maybe not until October, but at least a month.

Any production issues might be addressed. There will be some new software updates to see if a few of the nagging issues are fixed (memory leaks, dropped calls, general quirkiness).

I jumped because my 8330 was getting old and I am very tired of using a pager OS on a smartphone. Plus I was already on Sprint so why not. But changing carriers for the Pre? Not yet I don't think. Maybe in July/August.
    Palms and more Palms till the 700p ruined it for me. Blackberry and now the Pre. Sprint customer since 1994! They had 1 tower in town.
    why would you want to pay extra to beta test a product - wait
    I switched over from a 8830 Curve and paying the termination fee with ATT because after using my pre for 1 month i cant STAND the bb. I am only going to miss my Viigo news reading app that hopefully somebody creates a similar tool on the pre. Sorry but all these issues you stated like light bleed, pixels, etc not should be gone with the recent batches. If you dont like it TAKE IT BACK. You have 30 days AND you cant port your number at any time so you dont have to cancel the verizon phone right away.

Give it a shot and see what you think.
    Ya, I agree with these guys - wait! I personally have a 755p with Sprint. I have been wanting it for a while and when I finally got it (through the insurance) almost 2 months ago, I thoroughly love this phone!

That being said, the Pre just isn't quite ready yet. I want to upgrade and be an early adopter and go through the pains with everyone else, but when I played with one at the Sprint store, I fell instantly for it, but the phone as a whole felt like it was in Beta...

I will eventually get one, but I believe I'll wait another month. In 4 months though, the Pre will be virtualy unstoppable!!
    Originally posted by Rawandvital:

Break my ETF with Verizon and pay the 75 bucks or wait until October when my Verizon is up and switch over to sprint...

One thing that is in the back of my mind. If I wait until October will the build of the phones be better. No wobbly keyboard when closed, no dead pixels and no light leakage? Is it possibly these issues will be fixed by october? Or is it basically how it is? Will they make slight changes on the hardware in the production process or is their template not going to change?

Just wondering... If I hold off if there will be a better hardware build. If it's pretty much going to stay the same I might just bite the bullet, pay the ETF and get my pre instead of waiting 4 months!

Thoughts and advice?
    If you have only one line with Verizon, wait out your contract. If you have more than one line, switch your phone with Verizon to nondata, get rid of the insurance and get the Pre.

If you have to wait, don't go near the Pre. Don't test it, don't touch it, don't look at it fondly, you won't want to go back to your current phone and you'll be sucked in.

I know. I'm a Pre-vious Verizon customer.
    Look at it this way. If you wait till your contract is up you will save $75 & then you can use that to pay for the Touchstone. So if you wait it's like getting the Touchstone for free.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rawandvital View Post
    ... I might just bite the bullet, pay the ETF and get my pre instead of waiting 4 months!

Thoughts and advice?
    1) Consider the price difference between Sprint's $99.95/month and what Verizon will charge you over 4 months. If you are not a heavy talker, you can get a 450 minute, but everything data plan for $30/month cheaper. If you belong to a credit union, you can get an additional 10% off the above prices. (Your employer may already have a discount, and you can get 25% off if you join a specific credit union (named Alliant, and somewhere in the Chicago area. Sprint Offers - get 25% off and $50 | Alliant Credit Union), you just need to join a national PTA for $25 (if you are not already a member of a PTA) and deposit $5 in a savings accout.) I haven't done the 25% thing yet, but I think it is legit. Make sure to open a saving account to avoid dormant account fees in the future (or be willing to throw away $30 to save an additional $20-$25 per month over the next two years).

2) One thing that (I think) keeps a lot of Verizon customers with Verizon is their "in" network. If you have family members who talk regularly to you, out of courtesy, check what the effect on their bill might be if you switch.

If you decide to switch, consider keeping your Verizon active during your 30 day trial with Sprint (perhaps dropping the data like another poster suggested) so that if you don't like the Pre or Sprint, that you can go back. Having your old phone during the transition period will allow you to compare your old vs new phones on both networks to see how they each do at reception. I'm a long time Sprint customer, and I felt Verizon's data prices were astronomical. You can roam onto Verizon for free when their coverage is better in a particular area. For me, it's a no-brainer to dump Verizon, but you should estimate the real cost differences in your situation before making the plunge.

Lastly, some say you will be a "beta tester". I think this is a bit unfair to say. If you're a heavy contacts user who SMSs while talking and relying on data and email as part of your job, there will be some productivity loss as you transition to new systems to do the same thing. For such power users, everything they need might not be there from day 1, so if this is you, then wait. If you are the average Joe, you will be fine. If you are a hacker, you should get the phone ASAP as your learning curve will start sooner.

I hope you find (at least some of) the above advice helpful.

--
    Bob
    I'm both super! ... and a doer!
    Global Posts
    217 Global Posts
    I love my Pre.

I feel released from the chains of my cumbersome BB Pearl (open this menu to choose this so that you can do that, press trackball, now open that menu so you can choose X so that you can go to Y and download Z--ahhhh!).

The Pre is just swipe, swipe, send. It's breezy and cool. And with OS updates, it's just going to get better and better.

That said, if you can wait to see if people start reporting hardware fixes over the next couple months, it might be worth waiting just a while. Or not.

As ^ poster noted, you could also just take the chance that the hardware won't change that much and see the switch as paying for itself (in the form of less expensive service). Sorry. Not much help, I guess.

I do agree that you should not play with the Pre anymore until you decide to get it. It'll just make it that much harder to wait...
    @bclancy
    Thanks for the info on the Credit Union member discount! I researched it, found the number (877.728.3428), called the guy Louiee?, and have 10% off in a couple billing cycles! Too kewl! Thanks!
    personally i'm thinking of going the other way. I just signed a contract with sprint and love the service and my pre. But my family is all on a verizon family plan, which i could jump on for free. But i had to have the damn pre so i went off alone on sprint. I think when its released this winter on verizon i will be paying my ETF (after all $200 is only aprox 2 months of service out of my pocket) and getting on verizon for free with a preeee.
  12.    #12  
    Awesome, awesome replies guys...

Alright. I think I'm going to just hold off. I figure, eh, be patient. I mean, maybe some hardware issues will be fixed... If so, boom, it's a win. If not, oh well, still a win because I didn't have to pay a 75 dollar WTF.

Either way, for everyone saying don't even look at a PRE.... TOO LATE. I've been following that darn thing religiously since Jan. So, it is killing me knowing it was released this month and I'm still stuck with Verizon...

I'll hold off for four months. Besides, I'm a fisherman, I have patience!!!

Thanks for the replies...
    Enjoy your Pre devices!
    Either way, for everyone saying don't even look at a PRE.... TOO LATE. I've been following that darn thing religiously since Jan.
    It is but a dream....
    the Pre is really a Prior Rawandvital, it is a April 1st event...go back to sleep and when you awake you will realize it did not happen. Just remember to do the following once you wake up:
    1. no tv
    2. no treocentral
    3 no web suring
    4 no going to stores that sell sprint
    5 post an appointment in your current phone for sometime in November then like magic the Prior will become a Pre again. Just like in the dream your now having only it would be real this time
    ...you may now turn off you computer and resume your sleep.
    I admire your willpower.
    August will be a fine time to pick up the Pre. After seeing how much willpower you have, I'll restate one thing - make sure Sprint service on the Pre doesn't leave you with dead spots in your coverage before cancelling Verizon. While I'm a big advocate for Sprint, I've never had Verizon. Carriers are mandated by the FCC to provide roaming coverage, but that does not mean roaming to every possible tower. I think a side-by-side comparison is the only way you will know for sure that Sprint coverage and their roaming agreements with Verizon will meet your needs.

This strategy means you can try the Pre 30 days sooner thab you planned_ but you run a small risk that Verizon might really be better for you, That's where your willpower comes in. If you are willing to the wait for the Pre on Verizon, go ahead with my plan. Otherwise stick with you current one,

--
    Bob
  15.    #15  
    is it possible that the build of the phone will change? Do they take problems with the slider, light leakage, etc into account?
    there's no way in hell I could wait 4 months...but that's just me. I've had my pre for a little less than a week and have absolutely zero hardware problems. You have to remember that on a board like this, you're hearing from a very vociferous minority, rather than from the majority of people that have purchased a pre.

As Bclancy has mentioned, an important issue for you should be how much you'd save monthly if you switched to Sprint. If over the course of the 4 months you save close to 75 bucks, then it's a wash to switch.
  17.    #17  
    I'd save more staying with verizon... but. I don't have a data plan or anyhting of the sort. Just regular phone and texting...

Yeah 4 months is an eternity for me. seriously. I'm dying here. I think I might bite the bullet and just go for it. I mean, heck. Why not... I was just wondering IF I did hold off, if the build would be better. I don't know how manufac's go about this.
    I do think that people with problems are the one with an incentive to post. So I'll say that I have zero complaints with my Pre. It is perfect! I'm not a power user, but I've been using it a good bit. As someone who has previously had cheap phones, this thing is just amazing to me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rawandvital View Post
    is it possible that the build of the phone will change? ...
    I think it's highly unlikely to see any design changes, There will probably be manufacture improvements to improve build quality but those would just be build process improvements aimed at reducing the liklihood and number of defects in newly produced inventory,
    Global Posts
    78 Global Posts
    Wait until January and get the Pre on Verizon.