Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    147 Global Posts
    I don't know if I'm going crazy, but I think I'm having trouble with my Palm Pre. I got one yesterday, used it for a bit, and noticed that it got really warm to the point of being hot in my hands with VERY little use (talking a 2 minute phone call and a text). I charged it to 100%, and watched as it drained to 0% battery life in an hour and a half of no use.

Today, I went back to the Sprint store and returned it for a different one. It didn't seem to be hot, just a little warm, so I took it home, and it seemed to be ok. I charged it to 100%, and have been using it extremely lightly. I just looked down at the battery % (after some texts and about a 5 minute phone call) and I am at 68% battery life already. I don't remember exactly when I took the phone off the charger with the 100% charge, but I'm pretty sure it's been a maximum of 3 hours ago. Is that normal, after 3 hours, for the phone to be at 69% with so little use?

When I pick up the phone, the back of the unit is very hot at the bottom under the Palm logo. All it's been doing is sitting here laying on my table. I have Wifi, Bluetooth and GPS off and the screen has been off the entire time.

Can anyone please help me? Is there any way to see if something is wrong? I find it hard to believe that I've gotten 2 defective phones from 2 different shipments. What is going on?
    many people indicates that the battery needs some break in process.

you can do 2 more discharge-charge cycle,

try turn off wifi, BT, lower screen brightness to about 30%, set email to check less frequently, remove hotmail if you are using any.

you have 30 days, so dont rush and dont worry too much.
    Global Posts
    147 Global Posts
    I just touched it, just sitting here, and it's HOT, like the heat of a heating pad on a high setting. As I said, I have wifi, BT, and the screen is off, and email checks every 30 minutes.

Edit: After about 2 minutes, it has completely cooled down to "cool". So strange. It's totally freaking me out because I don't want a dud phone :|

I ran the battery down on the initial charge to nothing, and then I charged it to 100%, was that a bad idea? Should I run it down to nothing, and then fully charge again and try that a few more times? This is with wall charger, not touchstone.
    Global Posts
    164 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Siraris View Post
    I just touched it, just sitting here, and it's HOT, like the heat of a heating pad on a high setting. As I said, I have wifi, BT, and the screen is off, and email checks every 30 minutes.

I ran the battery down on the initial charge to nothing, and then I charged it to 100%, was that a bad idea? Should I run it down to nothing, and then fully charge again and try that a few more times? This is with wall charger, not touchstone.
    Did you close all of your apps?
    Global Posts
    147 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Twosted View Post
    Did you close all of your apps?
    Yes, I have nothing open. I've had smart phones before, but nothing that ran down the battery this fast. If I get to 50% soon, I'm guessing I would get roughly an hour of life with even moderate activity.
    Global Posts
    81 Global Posts
    Seems to be a common thread and someone I think hit the nail on the head. While it is it's first week or so it is in the "cloud" quite a bit getting sync'd.
    ˙soə ɹoɟ ƃuıʇıɐʍ ɹəllıʞ "ʇɔuıʇsuı" uɐ ʇuɐʍ ʇsnɾ ı ˙ɹəllıʞ "əuoɥdı" uɐ əq oʇ "ēɹd" ɹoɟ ƃuıʞool ʇou
    Global Posts
    147 Global Posts
    What does that mean, in the "cloud"? Are you saying it resolves itself? I have had roughly 15 phones in my life (maybe more) and I've never had a phone that reacts this way. Invariably the battery is rock solid, and lasts forever at the beginning, and slowly degrades over time. I've never had it be so shoddy at first, and then get better.
    just give it a while and break it in. charge it a whole not. DO NOT do a whole battery cycle. just keep it charged as much as you can
    Global Posts
    147 Global Posts
    You know what, I might know the problem. I have next to no service in my home, and am waiting on my Air Rave. It could be straining to find signal, and thus draining the battery really quickly.
    Are you getting a lot of 1X instead of EVDO? I've noticed that when my phone is on 1X (at least while trying to load web pages) that the back of the phone gets quite warm. I think that also drains the battery faster, but I can't confirm that.
    Global Posts
    782 Global Posts
    My battery life has improved greatly, but it was NEVER as bad as yours so you MAY have a problem. Today I took it off the charger about 8AM, made some calls, texts, read the news, listened to some music, etc, but I left it on--in the WiFi--mode for an entire round of golf. I assumed it would be bled dry as it searched for a WiFi signal for over 4 hours, but, to my surprise, it was still at 81% at about 5PM!

I agree w/what most say here. Charge it frequently, even if just for a few minutes. If you don't need the e-mail immediately, set it to retrieve the e-mail every hour or two hours.

When I am in a good Sprint & WiFi area (my house), I switch the settings to Sprint only & WiFi--just don't forget to change back: turn off WiFi & go to anything (vs Sprint) if you need it.

Cheers
    Global Posts
    147 Global Posts
    Looks like it's not just me. Go over to the official palm community (I can't post links so add forums dot palm dot com before this) /palm/board/message?board.id=weboshardware&thread.id=94&page=41

41 pages of people with the same problem.
    It is 9:41pm I started at 6:30 am I am at 62% no charging today at all. Calendar sycc, imap gmail,,facebook surfing, pictures. My battery life is better than my g1 my 3G or my last treo. Wi fi on.
    Global Posts
    147 Global Posts
    cglaguna: Do you have a pop3 account associated with your phone? I just removed my associated Comcast account from my phone, and after about 30 minutes, my battery % hasn't moved. I'm thinking that might be the cause.
    From everything I've gathered, and my own experience, what you're seeing is common with the stock battery. Lithium Ion batteries *do* have a break-in period. I would suggest a couple full charge-discharge cycles to speed up this process (plus that will also calibrate the battery meter). If you keep the phone on a charger all the time, this process will of course be delayed.

Interestingly the Seidio extended battery I purchased didn't have such a drastic break-in period. One full charge-discharge cycle and I'm getting about 36 hours.
    Last night was the first time I was able to count the hours, since I knew what time I got on my phone. It was on the Touchstone when I got an e-mail (it was being charged because I'd already worn the battery down once that day with heavy usage - it was at 100% when I picked it up) and I got 4+ hours of real constant usage (a few e-mail read/writes, lots of Web browsing mostly on EVDO but a little on WiFi, some other apps incl. several YouTube videos on the included app, etc. - no phone calls).

Is that bad, mediocre, or good compared to everybody else's batteries as of yet? (I got my phone on launch morning.)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bag of Leaves View Post
    Last night was the first time I was able to count the hours, since I knew what time I got on my phone. It was on the Touchstone when I got an e-mail (it was being charged because I'd already worn the battery down once that day with heavy usage - it was at 100% when I picked it up) and I got 4+ hours of real constant usage (a few e-mail read/writes, lots of Web browsing mostly on EVDO but a little on WiFi, some other apps incl. several YouTube videos on the included app, etc. - no phone calls).

Is that bad, mediocre, or good compared to everybody else's batteries as of yet? (I got my phone on launch morning.)
    Its probably normal.
    Quote Originally Posted by Siraris View Post
    cglaguna: Do you have a pop3 account associated with your phone? I just removed my associated Comcast account from my phone, and after about 30 minutes, my battery % hasn't moved. I'm thinking that might be the cause.
    its a good question, if Pre needs to download POP3 emails, it may indeed working on data transfer all the time in background. which would undoubtedly reduce the battery life and generating heat.
    Thanks, Clevin!
    I don't want to start a new thread and I hate to keep beating this issue but I've read long threads and I can't get a clear cut answer.

For a new phone, is it best to let the battery drain all the way down and recharge full or is it best to keep topping it off? Charge half way and recharge? Keep it constantly plugged in? Whats the best way to condition your battery? I've heard arguements for all so can someone please comment.

Thank you.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sc000t View Post
    I don't want to start a new thread and I hate to keep beating this issue but I've read long threads and I can't get a clear cut answer.

For a new phone, is it best to let the battery drain all the way down and recharge full or is it best to keep topping it off? Charge half way and recharge? Keep it constantly plugged in? Whats the best way to condition your battery? I've heard arguements for all so can someone please comment.

Thank you.
    For lithium ions, it's good to complete a full charge-discharge cycle when you use a new battery to calibrate the battery meter. It's okay to do this a couple times with a new battery to more-quickly condition the battery and bring it up to peak performance. Then afterwards, it's best to just top off when you can. Running the battery completely empty *frequently* will decrease the overall life of the battery. However, it is good to run the battery empty about once every 30ish charge cycles (about once a month) to recalibrate the battery meter again.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast