1.    #1  
    im trying to put my workout vids onto the PRE. Its the P90X that im doing. ive seen it on iPhones but dont know where to start with this. any insight is GREATLY appreciated...

thanks in advance...
    I use wondershare dvd to iphone.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aridon View Post
    I use wondershare dvd to iphone.
    DVD Catalyst 3 rocks.
    I have a bunch of converting tools on my computer. I can convert anything you want for you to any resolution, type, exc. Just upload it to rapidshare and PM me the URL.

Thas isn't worth $30!
  5.    #5  
    thanks for the off rennat but i just figured it out. my cous had downloaded DVDFab 6 and it does converting. im converting the first vid right now to mpeg4... thats correct right?

thanks for all the help so far.!!!!!
    videomonkey free for mac, covert to iphone format
    ipodme. (dumb name, great app.)
  8.    #8  
    i just wished the phone had more storage. the program im doing is called P90X and theres a total of 12 DVDs on it. each ranging from 45min to an hr. i dont think the phone will hold all 12 on there.
  9. UserOne
    Search for another thread on this topic (in this particular forum, I believe) for lots more info on the topic.

I use a free software called Handbrake. If you select the "iPhone & iPod Touch" setting, it will convert your video to a viewable format for your Pre. It's not the fastest conversion software out there, but has worked just fine for me and, of course, its free!

Just my .02... L8R
    Global Posts
    13 Global Posts
    Another Handbrake user here.

This is truly the best program I've used for video conversions.
    Once you load your source file into the program - click source and browse...
    Click on the iphone and ipod touch preset on the right hand side.

Under the video tab you can select a target output file size, for example 350mb. This way the program will adjust the bitrate to achieve that finished size. You may be able to live with even lower quality and save more space. That's a decision you'll have to make. I currently have a conversion of the movie Marley and Me on my pre with a file size of 450mb and the quality is great when viewed on the pre.
    I also go into the audio tab and select "downmix to stereo". This will also save some file size since surround sound is wasted when using earbuds.
    Once you have the settings you like, you can save a custom pre-set in handbrake to do conversions for the pre.
    Oh, the older versions (before 0.9.3) would decrypt a dvd and convert it directly to .mp4 with no other ripping required.
    Ya, that right file type. It will also olay a few other but MPG4 is the best quality.
    So just to be %100 sure... Were looking for video files to be in h.264 encode? I have the whole series of deadwood ripped from my dvds to my computer and I wanna port them to my pre, but I wasn't sure quite how... I've always gone for highest res because I've never had a portable video device in a handheld before, only my laptop.
    You definitely don't need highest resolution. Select either Handbrake or DVD Catalyst (the free version), select the source (your dvd drive), and pick the iPhone presets. H.264 video about 2 hrs long is somewhere around 500mb, and the quality is juuuust fine.

My Pre's not next to me (gasp!), but I have about 160 songs and 7 movies on it, about 2/3 of the apps in the catalog, and still have over 2gb free. Yeah, I'd love more storage, but realistically how many times am I going to watch The Matrix or The Fifth Element on 3.1" with 65" in the basement?
    i'd start with Handbrake too. it's free and prety customizable. and like unwired said. you can save space by cranking down the resolution. on a small screen you won't notice. personally i think the video feature is best for tv shows. they are short enough to watch on a bus or train ride to work. long stuff not so much. But that's just me.
    Mediacoder works very well too. it's not as streamlined as handbrake but it's very customizable and i use it when other stuff won't convert a file correctly.
    Global Posts
    58 Global Posts
    this is a repeat thred, there are already 2 other threads about video converting
    Global Posts
    844 Global Posts
    This might be a dumb question, but where do you get the movies you are converting? Say I want my kids to be able to watch Harry Potter, Where do I get the original file to convert? I'm sure the DVD is security coded. Sorry for the dumb question.
    Global Posts
    1,113 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by fwinst View Post
    This might be a dumb question, but where do you get the movies you are converting? Say I want my kids to be able to watch Harry Potter, Where do I get the original file to convert? I'm sure the DVD is security coded. Sorry for the dumb question.
    There are programs out there that will rip a protected DVD for your...ahem...personal backup needs. Torrents are also a great source for things like this.
    Originally posted by chedda_chez:
    i just wished the phone had more storage. the program im doing is called P90X and theres a total of 12 DVDs on it. each ranging from 45min to an hr. i dont think the phone will hold all 12 on there.
    I have P90X. Remember you don't need all 12 DVDs at once. You stay on the same rotation for about 3-4 weeks and then you add or remove a routine. Also the AbRipperX shows up at the end of your workout so you don't need to copy it, unless your splitting up your workout.

We gotten spoiled because of all the space on the current iPods, but I originally started carrying vids with my Clie NX 70. Convert all of your DVDs and put them on your hard drive or even copy a library to a DVD. Then drag whatever movie or converted DVD you'd like to watch to your Pre when you're ready to use it or watch it.

I would suggest that you view Sync your Palm Pre (Backup Option). It's great for backing up, but also for synchronizing your Pre with the press of a button. See the post that explains making the folders and dropping the videos in the folder.