Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    I'm a little curious... because my OS is 1.02, and from reading all these posts, it sounded like everything was shipped with a 1.0 or 1.01... then I read that Palm has an auto update feature that forces the Pre to update when Palm flips the switch.

So my question is, is the auto update real? Did my device most likely update without me knowing about it?

I'm looking forward to this coming update, I'm always stoked about updates. When my friend had his Instinct, we were totally like YAY! FIXES AND UPDATES!! LOL

Anyhow, it looks like Palm is really fulfilling WebOS with backup and not a "Here yo... buy the next device please... ^_^"
    Quote Originally Posted by groovdafied View Post
    I'm a little curious... because my OS is 1.02, and from reading all these posts, it sounded like everything was shipped with a 1.0 or 1.01... then I read that Palm has an auto update feature that forces the Pre to update when Palm flips the switch.

So my question is, is the auto update real? Did my device most likely update without me knowing about it?

I'm looking forward to this coming update, I'm always stoked about updates. When my friend had his Instinct, we were totally like YAY! FIXES AND UPDATES!! LOL

Anyhow, it looks like Palm is really fulfilling WebOS with backup and not a "Here yo... buy the next device please... ^_^"
    Newer pre's (your's included), come with version 1.02 already installed on the device so you didn't have to download it.

But normally people will have to go to the updates app to download the new firmware.

Edit: However, you will be prompted 4 times to download the new firmware before you have to manually update it.
    Last edited by ElemenT07; 06/18/2009 at 12:14 AM.
    Will force it on you after a while. Download is offered, then done through connection/chunks when available. Then ask you several times to update then forces. Cool. You will be prompt and know its happening/ed
    Quote Originally Posted by ElemenT07 View Post
    But normally people will have to go to the updates app to download the new firmware.
    It was recently reported that they will attempt to push the update to your phone 4 times at which time you will have the option of declining. However after that it will happen anyway.
    Quote Originally Posted by johncc View Post
    It was recently reported that they will attempt to push the update to your phone 4 times at which time you will have the option of declining. However after that it will happen anyway.
    Thanks for the clarification.

Yeah I wasn't 100% sure because I haven't had to update my phone yet.
    Global Posts
    94 Global Posts
    This information seems to be in line with all the other reports of an upcoming update, but it's odd that Palm still hasn't officially announced or mentioned the upcoming patch at all. I would have at least preferred they announce the contents of the update and a possible date of release rather than having to hear second hand from personal experiences with Palm reps.
    Quote Originally Posted by redskyy View Post
    This information seems to be in line with all the other reports of an upcoming update, but it's odd that Palm still hasn't officially announced or mentioned the upcoming patch at all. I would have at least preferred they announce the contents of the update and a possible date of release rather than having to hear second hand from personal experiences with Palm reps.
    Announcements like that are only a good idea if you can give 100% accurate info. Announce one feature that doesn't make it past testing for the update, or a date that you don't end up hitting and it's all hell breaking lose across the nets and fits of nerd rage crack the time continuum. Which creates a bad company image.
    anyone have errors trying to check for updates via the icon in the third page of the launcher?
    I read somewhere else that the Palm folks are working long hours to get the updating done, which I appreciate. I'm looking forward to the update - thanks, Palm!!
    Global Posts
    38 Global Posts
    I heard the same thing from a Level 3 tech. They said that this update will be coming out this week or early next.
    Global Posts
    787 Global Posts
    Most companies won't announce a patch until the patch has been verified (ie finished QA). In this case both Palm and Sprint have to approve it probably, which takes extra time (especially if they are working on signal issues). Companies don't want to announce "1.03 on friday" and then miss the date due to an issue.

Plus you have to update support/docs and inform tech support and stores about the changes first.
    My battery life and reception are great (sorry for those that aren't)...

I hope they fix the BT issue and the Alarm "weekdays only" issue.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bag of Leaves View Post
    I read somewhere else that the Palm folks are working long hours to get the updating done, which I appreciate. I'm looking forward to the update - thanks, Palm!!
    If the Stock whet from 2 dollars to 15..... bet your a$$ they are working hard!!!!
    Global Posts
    442 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by huynhc View Post
    anyone have errors trying to check for updates via the icon in the third page of the launcher?
    yeah mine has been saying "unable to connect" since I updated to 1.0.2 on launch day.
    Quote Originally Posted by krische View Post
    yeah mine has been saying "unable to connect" since I updated to 1.0.2 on launch day.
    Mine said the same thing up until now. I tried to update and it said that the phone is up-to-date.
    I can see why they wouldn't announce a patch with features and a time, but I think it can still be mentioned. It could help people that are on the fence about returning it if they knew for certain that Palm is addressing the issues.
    The next update better have the time travel app I have been waiting for!
    Global Posts
    43 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tripsbacks View Post
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by tripsbacks View Post
    I think that will only be possible if you do the Dilythium Crystal hardware upgrade. I noticed the slot for them when I ripped my phone apart to see the guts.
    wonder if they will fix the copy paste n texting forward n timestamp issues? how about the multi contact text n space runs out
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast