Global Posts
    32 Global Posts
    So.. I've set up a media server at home to stream mp3s and video to my laptop (both at home and while away) as well as a network media player using TVersity (tried Twonky as well). I can surf into the server from my Pre so far but as soon as the page starts to load I get an error that says it failed to load the page completely. Not sure if this is a browser issue or a server issue at this point though.

Has anyone else had any success doing something similar? I know there are lots of videos out there showing people doing this on everything from a blackberry to a PSP so its got to be possible. I'd love to hear some stories of it working though!

(On a side note, I was actually able to get as far as streaming an MP3 with the Twonky server but not so much with TVersity, which I'd rather use since it will automatically transcode any media to a desired format. This would be great to send a large media collection to a mobile device like the Pre!)
    Try orb.
    Global Posts
    13 Global Posts
    Orb works well, once you log in on the Pre, go into settings and then the Stream sectionand change the setting to 3gp-AAC. It works for me. For podcasts I set up a Protopage page with my favorite podcast feeds. Protopage has a mobile page that will list all the podcasts you have on your page and you can stream them on the Pre as well. Good luck.
    Quote Originally Posted by gaberael View Post
    Orb works well, once you log in on the Pre, go into settings and then the Stream sectionand change the setting to 3gp-AAC. It works for me. For podcasts I set up a Protopage page with my favorite podcast feeds. Protopage has a mobile page that will list all the podcasts you have on your page and you can stream them on the Pre as well. Good luck.
    are you sure that setting worked for you? im trying to stream music on my pre but it wont play with that setting

edit: tried using winamp format, that worked for me
    Last edited by technoviking; 06/18/2009 at 03:20 AM.
    Global Posts
    752 Global Posts
    What the hell. The streaming mp3 player has a selectable timebar. Please copy and paste it in the normal music player Palm! What the hell?
    Global Posts
    32 Global Posts
    Thanks, Orb definitely looks like more of a contender. Is it working for you for both music and videos or music only?
    So what setting are you using for Orb? I am guessing it can't be Flash, so which one works?
    i can't get orb to work, never have (with my instinct). i've followed the usirius -> orb -> phone directions on a number of occasions and have yet to hear anything out of my phone. sometimes, i can't get anything out of orb on my laptop, either. i'll read a thread like this, decide to give it another shot, then get incredibly frustrated and quit.
    Global Posts
    13 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by technoviking View Post
    are you sure that setting worked for you? im trying to stream music on my pre but it wont play with that setting

edit: tried using winamp format, that worked for me
    That's odd. The 3gp-AAC definately works for me, just tried switching to the winamp format and I get an error, cannot play files. May have something to do with the CODECs on the PC side? I don't have Winamp installed on my PC.
    Global Posts
    32 Global Posts
    So Orb seems to be working great now! Thanks again for the suggestion. I was able to listen to my music collection from the Pre and was at least able to start a video successfully before my home computer, that's currently working on several downloads and encoding a video, flipped out and dropped the stream. This looks like the best option so far.
    Has anyone tried FTP from the Pre's browser?
    Quote Originally Posted by BMIC50 View Post
    Has anyone tried FTP from the Pre's browser?
    Yep, it didn't work. I've got a Buffalo LinkStation NAS running at the house and would love to gain access to it to transfer music, photos, etc., as well as video once CorePlayer releases a media player that will likely be able to handle XviD (my Archos TV+ records in XviD), but Palm's WebOS browser can't handle the javascript on the page. It's the first web page I've encountered that the browser can't handle. I'd much prefer to access the NAS via FTP, anyway, so I'm holding out hope for a simple FTP app once the SDK is released and apps start coming.
    Treo 300 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 650 -> Treo 755p -> Pre -> Epic 4G -> TouchPad
    Quote Originally Posted by northward View Post
    Yep, it didn't work. I've got a Buffalo LinkStation NAS running at the house and would love to gain access to it to transfer music, photos, etc., as well as video once CorePlayer releases a media player that will likely be able to handle XviD (my Archos TV+ records in XviD), but Palm's WebOS browser can't handle the javascript on the page. It's the first web page I've encountered that the browser can't handle. I'd much prefer to access the NAS via FTP, anyway, so I'm holding out hope for a simple FTP app once the SDK is released and apps start coming.
    I have a DNS-321 (D-Link NAS) and I havent taken the time to fully setup (I need to research how to access the device externally) FTP on it but I would like to access all of my files stored on that with my Pre.