1.    #1  
    ..j
    I haven't done it, because I don't know if there is a way to get back out of developer mode. If my Pre has problems and I take it in for warranty work, I don't want a Sprint tech to tell me I've invalidated my warranty.

I've used cooked ROMS before in other phones, but I knew how to get the device back to square 1 if there was a problem. I don't know how to do that with the Pre, so I'm leaving it alone.
    Palm V-->Visor Deluxe-->Visor Prism-->Visorphone-->Treo 180-->Treo 600-->Treo 650 on Sprint-->Treo 700p-->Centro-->Diamond-->Pre-->HTC EVO 4g???!
    Quote Originally Posted by heberman View Post
    I haven't done it, because I don't know if there is a way to get back out of developer mode. If my Pre has problems and I take it in for warranty work, I don't want a Sprint tech to tell me I've invalidated my warranty.

I've used cooked ROMS before in other phones, but I knew how to get the device back to square 1 if there was a problem. I don't know how to do that with the Pre, so I'm leaving it alone.
    You can go in and out of dev mode at will. Once you open the dev app, turn on and restart. Rinse, repeat to turn it off.

At this point however there is no politically correct answer as to whether or not your changes will be washed on the next update. My guess is that it would depend on which portions of the OS are updated.

I have changed from dialer from the horrid green color and added multiple pages in the launcher. Right now it will support up to 10 pages, however adding more is just a quick change away in root.
    Global Posts
    540 Global Posts
    I believe running the webOSdoctor will take your pre back to square one, in case you mess something up.
    neathings - neatˇthings and apps for webOS
    Quote Originally Posted by pomokey View Post
    I believe running the webOSdoctor will take your pre back to square one, in case you mess something up.
    Yup yup...Linux isn't for the faint of heart, but there is peace in knowing that if you make a mistake it can be fixed. LOL, usually. BUT, there is always the "brick" option just around the corner.
    Just don't trip the "developer mode sensor" so they can tell. I think it is located right next to the water sensor.

OK, I just made that up
    Global Posts
    251 Global Posts
    The harm is in the fact that someone can connect to your machine rooted with novaterm. There is no need for a user/pass when developer mode is on, so your data is compromised if your phone is found.. etc.
    Quote Originally Posted by wprater View Post
    The harm is in the fact that someone can connect to your machine rooted with novaterm. There is no need for a user/pass when developer mode is on, so your data is compromised if your phone is found.. etc.
    That is what SSH is for. Telnet is unsecure, unencrypted. SSH isn't. So, without a proper username and password, good luck.

Don't scare people for no reason.
    Quote Originally Posted by gabbott View Post
    Just don't trip the "developer mode sensor" so they can tell. I think it is located right next to the water sensor.

OK, I just made that up
    That's right next to the humidity sensor isn't it?
    Global Posts
    251 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by temperamentalman View Post
    That is what SSH is for. Telnet is unsecure, unencrypted. SSH isn't. So, without a proper username and password, good luck.

Don't scare people for no reason.
    Don't leave developer mode on unless you have a reason to, you can easily be compromised.

Novaterm is neither telnet nor ssh. Leave your unattended Pre in a coffee shop for a few minutes while you're in the bathroom and someone can have root in a matter of seconds through USB.. no need for login/pass. Trust me.
    Leave your unattended Pre in a coffee shop for a few minutes while you're in the bathroom and someone can have root in a matter of seconds through USB.. no need for login/pass.
    While this is true in theory, I'm not sure it's really a matter of seconds unless someone is lying in wait fully prepared.

But even if this were a concern, turning developer mode off doesn't really address the security concerns. Anyone who knows enough to use novaterm also knows how to enter the Konami code to turn developer mode back on.
    Don't leave developer mode on unless you have a reason to, you can easily be compromised.

Novaterm is neither telnet nor ssh. Leave your unattended Pre in a coffee shop for a few minutes while you're in the bathroom and someone can have root in a matter of seconds through USB.. no need for login/pass. Trust me.
    Leave my Pre unattended???? Are you insane????? LMAO

If someone is dumb enough to leave their device "unattended" I would be more concerned that it simply wouldn't be there when I returned from my tinkle. ???
    Quote Originally Posted by derossi View Post
    While this is true in theory, I'm not sure it's really a matter of seconds unless someone is lying in wait fully prepared.

But even if this were a concern, turning developer mode off doesn't really address the security concerns. Anyone who knows enough to use novaterm also knows how to enter the Konami code to turn developer mode back on.
    +1
  14. tuz
    Global Posts
    149 Global Posts
    So are we saying that the only danger of keeping dev mode on is someone physically sitting down at my computer? If I have my pre plugged in, dev mode on, novaterm NOT running (haven't been able to reliably ssh in yet...), is there a danger of someone remotely getting in from half a room or half a town away? Cause that 2 minutes of rebooting to SDK a new simple app is a little annoying and I'd love to not deal with it if I don't HAVE to.
    Basically. Honestly, why would you leave your phone by itself in public? And im pretty sure its safe when im at home, plus, couldn't the person turn it on themselves?
  16. tuz
    Global Posts
    149 Global Posts
    And is this true even if the pre is rooted? Does running novaterm "activate the rootedness" or does it just give you access to it? Meaning, if a pre that has ever been rooted, in dev mode, is hooked up via USB, is there, still, any danger without someone physically at your device?
    Global Posts
    442 Global Posts
    the thing about leaving dev mode on isn't just the possible use of novaterm by somebody who swipes your Pre, it's that turning dev mode on brings down the entire firewall, according to my understanding. Your phone could be compromised from outside.
    Global Posts
    442 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tuz View Post
    And is this true even if the pre is rooted? Does running novaterm "activate the rootedness" or does it just give you access to it? Meaning, if a pre that has ever been rooted, in dev mode, is hooked up via USB, is there, still, any danger without someone physically at your device?
    to "activate the rootedness" just means having access to the filesystem of the device. Once you get in using dev mode, it's best to install an SSH client and turn dev mode back off. Then you can still access your device whenever you want, but the firewall isn't open to the whole world.

And no, nothing is permanent. There's nothing that you can't undo after you've done it, unless you just forget how.
    Quote Originally Posted by temperamentalman View Post
    Yup yup...Linux isn't for the faint of heart, but there is peace in knowing that if you make a mistake it can be fixed. LOL, usually. BUT, there is always the "brick" option just around the corner.
    The cool thing about Linux is unless you change root you can pretty much do anything and it can always be restored to original.

Linux Rocks

I run Mandriva KDE 4 at home.
  20. tuz
    Global Posts
    149 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by stubbs View Post
    to "activate the rootedness" just means having access to the filesystem of the device. Once you get in using dev mode, it's best to install an SSH client and turn dev mode back off. Then you can still access your device whenever you want, but the firewall isn't open to the whole world.

And no, nothing is permanent. There's nothing that you can't undo after you've done it, unless you just forget how.
    I know that SSH is supposed to be more secure but I just can't get it to work. I swear I've followed dropbear install and other instructions but I am clearly doing something or other wrong. If anyone out there has the heart to maybe help me out one on one it would be much much appreciated.