Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
  1. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NDPTAL85 View Post
    They didn't refuse. It just wasn't ready yet. Both Apple and Microsoft took years to come up with OS X and XP respectively. MS came out with preemptive multitasking early with Win95/98 but it led to grave stability issues. Same issues WinMO and BB have with multiprocessing. On the Pre its different. Its not a stability issue but a battery life and lack of enough memory to keep opening more and more apps issue. If you're satisfied with those compromises then obviously the Pre works well for you.
    In all seriousness ,Pre battery is smaller , yet it handles all these.
    PALM is brilliant at using the battery.
    The Goat has already sold 6 Pre's to friends that got the phone demo'ed to them if they liked it or not. The manager at my local Sprint store actually told me he should be paying me... Even though Palm had chewed him out for letting me demo and review the phone early... I'll share that story some time if people are curious. So far I haven't had a single iPhone user even put up a defense. (It can be hard to when faced with the Pre's features.)

My Pre has been an absolute delight... The overwhelming positive reactions I get from showing my precious toy off is just a garnish for how much I enjoy it.
    -Goatin' Ain't Easy-
    Quote Originally Posted by PedroTheGoat View Post
    The Goat has already sold 6 Pre's to friends that got the phone demo'ed to them if they liked it or not. The manager at my local Sprint store actually told me he should be paying me... Even though Palm had chewed him out for letting me demo and review the phone early... I'll share that story some time if people are curious.
    I'm curious lol
    Global Posts
    442 Global Posts
    The Goat has already sold 6 Pre's to friends that got the phone demo'ed to them if they liked it or not. The manager at my local Sprint store actually told me he should be paying me... Even though Palm had chewed him out for letting me demo and review the phone early... I'll share that story some time if people are curious. So far I haven't had a single iPhone user even put up a defense. (It can be hard to when faced with the Pre's features.)

My Pre has been an absolute delight... The overwhelming positive reactions I get from showing my precious toy off is just a garnish for how much I enjoy it.
    Are those people switching to Sprint? If so, you can get $25 for every person you recommend.
    Quote Originally Posted by NDPTAL85 View Post
    but they crossed the line by instituting multi-tasking at this moment in time as it clearly has a hugely negative effect on battery life and memory management.
    This seems, in a nutshell, to be the main complaint levied against the Pre by iPhone users and is in line with the statements issued by Apple itself. Now I'm a fan of both platforms and certainly no Palm "fanboy" but I find this statement to be rather disingenuous at best, and frankly misleading at worst. I have spent a week with the Pre now and have found the multitasking to be incredibly robust and have had no problems at all with memory management. Moreover, I have not encountered any problems at all with battery life and find that with my, albeit conservative, usage that my battery lasts well more than a full day without charging.

It seems to me that Palm has legitimately one-upped the iPhone here and Apple is doing its best to spin this shortcoming. I agree that the iPhone continues to best the Pre in other categories but I think they should give credit where it's due.
    Quote Originally Posted by calsccr9 View Post
    I'm curious lol
    Well, after the mini review that I posted I went back into that Sprint store to check the phone out again. The manager that let me demo the phone early asked if I was the one who "wrote the blog". I immediately asked him if he had gotten in trouble for it, he told me that he didn't because they didn't because in his advocate training they hadn't explained to him that he wasn't allowed to demo the phone. But Palm Corporate Security had contacted the franchise owner and they were pissed. I almost laughed at this because I wrote my review shortly after Boy Genius had written a pretty nasty and biased review about the Pre. My review was shining of course. I never thought that that little preview/review would get popular enough to get back to Palm, but it did.

I personally think Palm should be paying me for countering Boy Genius' nasty review at the time. But whatever. My friend still hs his job and that's all that matters to The Goat.
    -Goatin' Ain't Easy-
    Quote Originally Posted by krische View Post
    Are those people switching to Sprint? If so, you can get $25 for every person you recommend.
    I may should have thought to have them put me down as a referal, but no big deal.
    -Goatin' Ain't Easy-
  8. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts

Okay
    The goat has come out,
    Write the story, thats what the forum is for.
    Quote Originally Posted by Beanis View Post
    My company is a mac using company that even tries to give us iphones. My coworker asked to see my pre, knowing I camped out for it. He looked at it for about 30 seconds, handed it back and said "well it really doesn't matter how cool the pre is, it's not an Apple, and the world only cares about Apple products".

He then went on to tell me how cool the 3GS was and how stoked he was for it. I asked him if it could do x, y, z (pre features) and he sad "no, but it doesn't matter, it's an iphone".

And people wonder why I hate Apple and their fans so much.
    And this is why I refuse to buy Apple products. I don't want to be one of THEM.
    Quote Originally Posted by gbp View Post
    Okay
    The goat has come out,
    Write the story, thats what the forum is for.
    he already did...

Yeah Goat! Sell dem Pre's .
    Palm History: Palm III>IIIc>CLIÉ NR70v>CLIÉ TG50>Tungsten C>Treo 650>Treo 700p>Centro>Pre!! 6/5/09
    Phone History: Way too long

Sorry Timmy, SERO does not work with the Pre.
    If you have an iTouch click me.
    Hey people, let's get back to the "showing off your Pre" stories.

As a current Centro user that waited in line on Saturday morning just to play with the Pre, I want to hear more. Current contract with Sprint ends in a few months and maybe by then they will have better shared Family Plans (I think with 5 phones on our plan, I am the only one interested in the Pre...I need a plan where you can turn data on for only the phones that need it)
    Today My wife and I went to the Apple store to get a MacBook. While looking at the MacBook we eventually bought, my wife's phone (Palm Pre) rings..... As my wife is pulling her phone out to see who is calling her, the sales person says "WOW IS THAT A PALM PRE!!!! I NEVER SAW AN ACUTAL ONE JUST THOSE ON THE WEB & VIDEOS! IT LOOKS SO SLEAK!" I was about to die ... She was very cool, but that comment took me by surprise (specially since they just launched the Iphone 3GS today). Just had to post this b/c I thought it was hilarious!
    Haha that's great
    I'm one of these folks that genuinely loves both phones...I have a Pre' and an iPhone 3GS. I must admit that I am playing with the Pre' more than the iPhone. Perhaps it is because I am a little bored with the iPhone. WebOS is super slick...I love it. If the 3rd party apps start rolling in the iPhone is going to have a battle royal on it's hands. I'm going to have to make a decision in 30 days. What I would really like to be able to do is keep both to be honest.
    Global Posts
    37 Global Posts
    Both phones are pretty good.

I like to go through typing on the keyboard, a variety of apps, gestures, camera, multitasking, etc. At the end, particularly to iPhone users, I like to point out that I did the entire demo including typing only using one hand.
    Global Posts
    107 Global Posts
    Amazing how iphone users are continually defending their phones. One would think if the phone was so much better than the rest, they would just blow ya off and not care what others think of it...
    "is that the new palm pre??"

"why, yes it iiiisssss!" :grin:

"ooh...aahhh"
    Global Posts
    81 Global Posts
    I am curious, I can't type on my iPod touch one handed, whether landscape or portrait. I always support it with thumbs and middle fingers, I can then get decent wpm. I have only seen the Pre demo models running demo mode. Still waiting for August for upgrade eligibility. Hopefully I will be showing off the Pre then.
    ˙soə ɹoɟ ƃuıʇıɐʍ ¡ɹəllıʞ "ʇɔuıʇsuı" uɐ ʇuɐʍ ʇsnɾ ı ˙ɹəllıʞ "əuoɥdı" uɐ əq oʇ "ēɹd" ɹoɟ ƃuıʞool ʇou
    Quote Originally Posted by Bag of Leaves View Post
    I saw my brother the other day and I showed him my Pre for a couple minutes. He currently uses a BlackBerry (not sure which one) on Verizon and he really liked the Pre - even said, "Hmm, I might get this phone!" (I guess he's thinking of getting a new phone sometime soon). I mostly demonstrated stuff, talked about PUSH mail vs. pull mail, and then only let him use it to type a Post-It Note (memo). His only complaints were that it didn't automatically put a period when you input a double space like his BlackBerry does (I told him I would never want that feature - I hate most of the "corrections" the Pre [and the Centro] has as it is) and that it isn't on Verizon (yet). But he was impressed and I didn't even get to show him things like YouTube and several other apps. He liked that Web pages were the full pages (showed him Facebook's full site) and you could zoom in/out with the finger dancing and all. He thought the camera was good quality and showed a photo I took right then to his friends next to him (we were at a ballgame). He liked the swipes and such, too.

I haven't really shown it to any other technologically "there" ppl yet. But I can't wait to show it to somebody I know who tries to be so proud of his iPhoney! *Big evil grin* Fun times ahead!

Oh, and a Canadian friend of mine started a Facebook chat with me (while I was on the full Facebook site on my Pre, yippie!) to ask how I liked my Pre. He's got a Treo currently, but says Canadian cell companies' data services stink 'cause they charge by the MB instead of having an unlimited plan. If this phone is to go to Canada, the companies will have to make an unlimited plan like Sprint's since this phone uses so much data, including for the updates (can you imagine paying for 70 MB of data by the MB just 'cause it was a needed phone update?!). I directed him to this Web site to see ppl's complaints and compliments, so, friend, if you are reading this, HI!!
    thats actually incorrect. I am a bell user, (the first company getting the palm pre,) and they have a 45 bucks plan with 250 mins, weeknights and weekends from 9-6, unlimted messeging, a couple other features, and the option of having unlimited incoming, fave five (5 numbers unlimited..) or weeknights from 5. It also comes with 500mb of data, or you can pay 70 bucks, and get unlimited data, and 450 mintues...
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast