Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    I saw my brother the other day and I showed him my Pre for a couple minutes. He currently uses a BlackBerry (not sure which one) on Verizon and he really liked the Pre - even said, "Hmm, I might get this phone!" (I guess he's thinking of getting a new phone sometime soon). I mostly demonstrated stuff, talked about PUSH mail vs. pull mail, and then only let him use it to type a Post-It Note (memo). His only complaints were that it didn't automatically put a period when you input a double space like his BlackBerry does (I told him I would never want that feature - I hate most of the "corrections" the Pre [and the Centro] has as it is) and that it isn't on Verizon (yet). But he was impressed and I didn't even get to show him things like YouTube and several other apps. He liked that Web pages were the full pages (showed him Facebook's full site) and you could zoom in/out with the finger dancing and all. He thought the camera was good quality and showed a photo I took right then to his friends next to him (we were at a ballgame). He liked the swipes and such, too.

I haven't really shown it to any other technologically "there" ppl yet. But I can't wait to show it to somebody I know who tries to be so proud of his iPhoney! *Big evil grin* Fun times ahead!

Oh, and a Canadian friend of mine started a Facebook chat with me (while I was on the full Facebook site on my Pre, yippie!) to ask how I liked my Pre. He's got a Treo currently, but says Canadian cell companies' data services stink 'cause they charge by the MB instead of having an unlimited plan. If this phone is to go to Canada, the companies will have to make an unlimited plan like Sprint's since this phone uses so much data, including for the updates (can you imagine paying for 70 MB of data by the MB just 'cause it was a needed phone update?!). I directed him to this Web site to see ppl's complaints and compliments, so, friend, if you are reading this, HI!!
    Global Posts
    412 Global Posts
    Well, I showed it to my 68 year old Nan, and she was super impressed. Haha.

But a couple nights ago, I went into a Verizon to get a connector cord (couldn't find the Sprint store...I was out of town), and the sales guy there asked, "Is that the new Pre? Can I see it?" So I let him play around with it for a little bit (about one minute), but then I had to go. I said, "Sorry, I need my phone back, I gotta go." He did not want to give it back. Haha!

I don't have any local friends with iPhones. So no stories there so far.
    What if this whole crusade's a charade? -Trent Reznor
  3. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by d94 View Post
    yep everyones impressed with it except the iphone people..they just wanna deffend their phone and kinda ignore what i say about mine lol
    true,
    about 90% or 9 out of 10 do that.
    I have a friend who asked me what phone this is. I explained & demonstrated it a bit to her. The conversation went pretty much like this:

Friend: Does it have apps?
    Me: Yes, but since the phone is just 2 weeks old there aren't many available.
    Her: Does it have [app name]? (I forgot the name of the app) Where you can shake the phone & it tells you where to eat?
    Me: No. iPhone apps do not work on this phone.
    Her: Why not!?
    Me: Apple is a different company & their apps only work on their products. I am sure the developers will eventually make the same or similar applications for the Pre.
    Her: What about the app where you blow on the screen & it gets all steamy?
    Me: ...
    Me: No
    Her: Your phone sucks. I don't like it anymore
    Me: That's cool. Stick with your Blackberry 8300.

I also explained & showed her the Facebook synergy & she said "That is creepy. I don't want you to stalk me". I laughed & said "Don't put your email, phone number & AIM screen name on FACEBOOK then!" LOL
    Last edited by Syphon; 06/18/2009 at 09:39 AM.
    Follow Me On

5. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    I was talking about Pre for about six months with friends and collegues.
    Five of the folks in the mix have iPhones of which two really got curious about Pre.
    One of these two I showed said , wow its great.
    The other one , I haven't showed him , he lives far away from me ,is following the videos online and learning more.

The rest of the three are defending their iPhone to death.
    But they knew it their phone met a formidable foe.

There there is this other friend of mine who is a current SPRINT customer.
    I hyped him , but he didn't bite the bullet.
    A day after launch day, he went to check the phone at the store with his wife.
    He bought not one, but two of them , second one for his wife.

Everyone else I showed were impressed with the phone.

For the majority "THE FORM FACTOR" is most important feature. I must say these majority never used a smart phone.
  6. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Syphon View Post
    Her: Does it have [app name]? (I forgot the name of the app) Where you can shake the phone & it tells you where to eat?
    Me: Mo. iPhone apps do not work on this phone.
    Her: Why not!?
    Me: Apple is a different company & their apps only work on their products. I am sure the developers will eventually make the same or similar applications for the Pre.
    Her: What about the app where you blow on the screen & it gets all steamy?
    Me: ...
    Me: No
    Her: Your phone sucks. I don't like it anymore
    Me: That's cool. Stick with your Blackberry 8300.

same story with most of the folks.
    Sorry to ruin the love fest but as an iPhone first gen owner since day one I went to my local Spring store a few days ago and tried out the Palm Pre. It's an impressive and amazing device but there are some issues with it at the moment. #1 for me is the lack of visual voicemail. Such a key feature. 2 is the lack of native apps. I know with time that'll come but for now it's a big downer. 3 is the keyboard. This is ironic since supposedly physical keyboards are supposed to be betterthan on screen keyboards but now ALL iPhones can use landscape typing in all apps which gives you way more room to type comfortably and accurately. 4. Would be battery life. Out of the box the iPhone lasts longer and since it has no moving parts MANY companies have long since been making external battery cases for the iPhone that can double or triple your battery life depending on the model you go with. I personally use a case that comes with a 2200mAh battery. I get 12 hours of moderate use and 9 of heavy use before it's empty and I'm left with my fully chargedinternal iPhone battery. 5. REAL universal search includes your notes people. 6. REAL copy and paste that works in ALL areas of the device. 6. Permanent, non-ambiguous iTunes integration. Don't have to worry about Apple suing itself or updating against it's own products. 7. No out of memory messages or slow downs due to unwise enabling of multitasking on hardware that's clearly not ready for it yet (hint the Pre and iPhone 3G S have the same CPU/GPU specs). 8 no need to learn hardcore user gestures to access core features of the device.

And for those who are wondering why I'm here if I am so down on the Pre(I'm not, I think it's. Great device and we all benefit from competition) it's because I used to be a longtime Treo owner who registered with TreoCentral.com and that gives me access to the entitre Smartphone Experts forum network.

Man I can't believe I typed all of that so effortlessly on my iPhone!
    Last edited by NDPTAL85; 06/18/2009 at 12:51 PM. Reason: Repsonses not paying attention to content of post.
    Whats the best way to Demo this phone to an iPhone user?

for example.. tell them to open a browser window then send them a txt? and an email?

I don't/never had an iPhone so i'm not sure on how it handles doing many things..

I know the iPhone was made for the "masses" ie most people aren't that smart(So is the pre). But the Pre will grow leaps and bounds and very quickly.
    So my buddy comes over all amped and hyped about the release of the new iphone 3g s... well that was before I showed him the Pre lol

After I showed him pandora, running with nav, email, and sms you should have seen his face lol He looked like the lil puppy who lost his way (Billy madison) lol

He said dude how does apple NOT offer multitasking? I said 2 words ... APPLE BLOWS!!! LMAO
    Quote Originally Posted by NDPTAL85 View Post
    Sorry to ruin the love fest but as an iPhone first gen owner since day one I went to my local Spring store a few days ago and tried out the Palm Pre. It's an I
    pressive and amazing device but there are so
    e issues with it at the moment. #1 for me is the lack of visual voicemail. Such a key feature. 2 is the lack of native apps. I know with time that'll come but for now it's a big downer. 3 is the keyboard. This is ironic since supposedly physical keyboards are supposed to be betterthan on screen keyboards but now ALL iPhones can use landscape typing in all apps which gives you way more room to type co
    fortably and accurately. 4. Would be battery life. Out of the box the iPhone lasts longer and since it has no moving parts MANY companies have long since been making external battery cases for the iPhone that can double or triple your battery life depending on the model you go with. I personally use a case that comes with a 2200mAh battery. I get 12 hours of moderate use and 9 of heavy use before it's empty and I'm left with my fully chargedinternal iPhone battery. 5. REAL universal search includes your notes people. 6. REAL copy and paste that works in ALL areas of the device. 6. Permanent, non-ambiguous iTunes integration. Don't have to worry about Apple suing itself or updating against it's own products. 7. No out of memory messages or slow downs due to unwise enabling of multitasking on hardware that's clearly not ready for it yet (hint the Pre and iPhone 3G S have the same CPU/GPU specs). 8 no need to learn hardcore user gestures to access core features of the device.

And for those who are wondering why I'm here if I
    so down on the Pre(I'm not, I think it's. Great device and we all benefit from co
    petition) it's because I used to be a longtime Treo owner who registered with TreoCentral.com and that gives me access to the entitre Smartphone Experts forum network.

I got the feeling you were typing on a virtual keyboard about 2 lines down... You should go back and see what you typed...
    Sorry to ruin the love fest but as an iPhone first gen owner since day one I went to my local Spring store a few days ago and tried out the Palm Pre. It's an I
    e issues with it at the moment. #1 for me is the lack of visual voicemail. Such a key feature. 2 is the lack of native apps. I know with time that'll come but for now it's a big downer. 3 is the keyboard. This is ironic since supposedly physical keyboards are supposed to be betterthan on screen keyboards but now ALL iPhones can use landscape typing in all apps which gives you way more room to type co
    fortably and accurately. 4. Would be battery life. Out of the box the iPhone lasts longer and since it has no moving parts MANY companies have long since been making external battery cases for the iPhone that can double or triple your battery life depending on the model you go with. I personally use a case that comes with a 2200mAh battery. I get 12 hours of moderate use and 9 of heavy use before it's empty and I'm left with my fully chargedinternal iPhone battery. 5. REAL universal search includes your notes people. 6. REAL copy and paste that works in ALL areas of the device. 6. Permanent, non-ambiguous iTunes integration. Don't have to worry about Apple suing itself or updating against it's own products. 7. No out of memory messages or slow downs due to unwise enabling of multitasking on hardware that's clearly not ready for it yet (hint the Pre and iPhone 3G S have the same CPU/GPU specs). 8 no need to learn hardcore user gestures to access core features of the device.

so down on the Pre(I'm not, I think it's. Great device and we all benefit from co
    petition) it's because I used to be a longtime Treo owner who registered with TreoCentral.com and that gives me access to the entitre Smartphone Experts forum network.

Virtual Keyboard FAIL!
    Global Posts
    442 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Excoriar View Post
    I got the feeling you were typing on a virtual keyboard about 2 lines down... You should go back and see what you typed...
    What do you mea
    n he was typing on a virtu
    al keyboard. how cou?d you te
    ll
    Quote Originally Posted by krische View Post
    what do you mea
    n he was typing on a virtu
    al keyboard. How cou?d you te
    ll
    lol!!!
    And as usual Palm Pre fans miss the point.

A screwed up mobile site input field is not the fault of the iPhone.
    Global Posts
    893 Global Posts
    The first weekend I had the phone I showed it to an iPhone friend of mine at a bar. I showed him notifications while streaming pandora, I walked him through multitasking... both of which he agreed he wished his iPhone had. Then I showed him SMS messaging by sending a picture of the bar we were in to another one of our friends (Verizon user). Then later that night I used Sprint Navigation to get us to the Pizzeria. Once we got there someone asked him "cant your phone do that?", to which he responded "You're Pre is gay!" Odd considering he himself is gay, but I'll take his frustration as a compliment.
    Quote Originally Posted by antonio3 View Post
    Whats the best way to Demo this phone to an iPhone user?
    Firing up Pandora, then firing up GPS Nav, then sending yourself some test SMS and emails and IM's from another phone so they can watch the notifications roll in WITHOUT a big blue popup in the middle of the screen that has to be dismissed - that should get the job done.

Or just keep it simple and start a GPS Nav session and then get a call on speakerphone while GPS continues to navigate - that usually makes the point nicely.
    Submit your Pre feature requests and vote up the best at http://pre.uservoice.com
    yea the Palm Pre is definitely nice. I love that Apple finally has a competitor to deal with.
    ( pre-wallpapers.com ) - Over 7000+ Wallpapers for your Palm Pre... Enjoy!

funny how you mention these features a day after your phone JUST got an update to do such things.

i wonder, since you're a first generation owner since day one, how did you ever survive without these features before your update?

since most of these missing features seems like such a deal breaker for you, you must've thought your phone was pretty $hitty.
    Global Posts
    115 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NINnerd View Post
    Well, I showed it to my 68 year old Nan, and she was super impressed. Haha.

But a couple nights ago, I went into a Verizon to get a connector cord (couldn't find the Sprint store...I was out of town), <snip>
    What, you didn't use GPS to find a Sprint store? (tee hee!)
    Quote Originally Posted by Emceesquared View Post
    funny how you mention these features a day after your phone JUST got an update to do such things.

i wonder, since you're a first generation owner since day one, how did you ever survive without these features before your update?

since most of these missing features seems like such a deal breaker for you, you must've thought your phone was pretty $hitty.
    In 2007 the Pre didn't exist. In fact an argument could be made that since Rubenstein helped develop the iPhone that if it didn't come out the Pre would never have been made either. That being said the iPhone's only competitors were Windows Mobile, Symbian, and Blackberry OS. Not really much competition when you think about it.

Its the difference between features for features sake, and whatever you have being really well done. I think the Pre gets the balance almost as well as the iPhone does, but they crossed the line by instituting multi-tasking at this moment in time as it clearly has a hugely negative effect on battery life and memory management.
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast