Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 55
  1.    #1  
    Allow me to give some background on where my confusion comes from:

    I have been a dedicated iPhone user since the first generation was released. I then upgraded to the iPhone 3g on launch day as did many of my friends. I love the iPhone, it does a lot of things very very well, but after two years I believe it's time to start using more objectivity.

    With the release of the Pre, which I followed fairly closely, I came to realize that Apple was definitely not the only game in town when it came to smartphones. Of course one could argue Palms and BB's have been incredibly popular for years. However, the original iPhone was my first smartphone, so my initial entry was with a device with incredible ease of use. I had not heard much regarding Palm in a very long time, and with all the hype from CES until the present, I was anxious to see how the Pre would perform.

    Leading up to the Pre's launch, the general lackluster 'wow' from Apples keynote convinced me that now would be the best time to look around for other options. I wanted my search to be as objective as possible, because despite the fact that I love my iPhone, blind loyalty only hurts in the end. So not only did I research the Pre, but also a few BB models just to see what options there were for me. Perhaps because I've used an iPhone for so long, touchscreen is mandatory for me; I am incredibly accustomed to that style of navigation. Multitasking was also a must: despite using the 3.0 beta and having access to Push Notifications, there is just nothing else like true multitasking. While I do love the vitual keyboard with the iPhone, I am not averse to a physical keyboard. I can average roughly 70-80 WPM on my iPhones keyboard, and I can only imagine after I got used to a physical one the numbers would be the same.

    Now, what do I use my phone for? Well, I can safely say the number one thing is text messaging. I am a HUGE text messaging fan, routinely racking up 7000+ messages a month. Aside from that, I use my iPhone for music (in my car and at work), AOL IM, Twitter, light web browsing, and now more recently for calendar, stocks, and weather. Basically every smart phone can do all of those things, so it ultimately comes down to HOW they do them.

    When the Pre launched, I read countless reviews, watched numerous videos, and generally immersed myself into the device, both positive and negative. In my opinion, the positives far outweighed the negatives. In fact, when the first gen iPhone was launched, it's very safe to say there were more negatives back then. Of course the iPhone has made great strides, but there is always more that can be done with anything. (Side note: I have found it is generally an inaccurate complaint when people say the Pre lags behind the iPhone in terms of App Catalog or random features. I believe comparing 1st generation devices is much more accurate than comparing present devices).

    Basically, this entire post comes down to different devices doing different things very well. To me, the iPhone does multimedia and application distribution, the Blackberry does email and exchange, and the Pre does multitasking and messaging (my opinion alone). From that standpoint, the Pre would seem to be the best phone for me due to messaging and multitasking, but then again my assumption could be totally off point.

    So my questions are these: Does everyone agree with my opinion with what each phone does well? Is the Pre the best messaging smartphone on the market? Is the migration from an iPhone to a Pre relatively straightforward?

    Thanks to everyone who reads this, my hope is to give some insight as to what an (hopefully) objective iPhone user thinks about the new developments in smartphones, and to get some advice on if/how to migrate from the iPhone elsewhere.
  2. #2  
    No the pre is the best at exchange (with a ssl certificate for now). It's the only phone that I know of that does more than one exchange server and it does it beautifully. It also does messaging very well. I also love the way the calendar is setup as it works with both of my calendars (personal and work). Palm finally make a phone with decent bluetooth, my headset works great with it.
  3. #3  
    My 2 cents on multitasking front,,,
    Lack of it is the reason why I refuse Iphone.
    Here is an example, just last night, while I was driving,

    I had on my Pre,

    -Playing MP3 thru Aux on my car stereo,
    -Navigating with Sprint Nav,
    -Receiving Emails and SMS
    and
    -Surfing web (not recommend while driving,)
    All at the same time!!!

    And with a flick of my finger I was able switch back and forth between all those processes with such ease... Ease of switching application thru card system is just out of this world and you've got to experience it yourself. I come from BB which does multitasking very well.. But it's the transition among apps that Pre wins hands down..
  4. gbp
    gbp is offline
    gbp's Avatar
    Posts
    2,506 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    #4  
    Pre might not be best at texting , that crown goes to BB, but Pre comes second.

    Pre might be better at browsing, true multi tasking and ease of use.

    Coming from iPhone you might like how ridiculous it is to switch between APPS and do multiple things.

    Rest assured the trasition will be painless.

    However the issue of sluggishness is there on Pre while invoking APPS , but only couple more seconds than iPhone.

    The UI , the APPS launcher and multitsking make it the best phone a previous iPhone user can buy.
  5. #5  
    The notifications feature on the Pre is a huge factor, especially if you have lots of text messages coming in.
    Palm V-->Visor Deluxe-->Visor Prism-->Visorphone-->Treo 180-->Treo 600-->Treo 650 on Sprint-->Treo 700p-->Centro-->Diamond-->Pre-->HTC EVO 4g???!
  6. urkel's Avatar
    Posts
    944 Posts
    Global Posts
    946 Global Posts
    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by halmo20 View Post
    My 2 cents on multitasking front,,,
    Lack of it is the reason why I refuse Iphone.
    Here is an example, just last night, while I was driving,

    I had on my Pre,

    -Playing MP3 thru Aux on my car stereo,
    -Navigating with Sprint Nav,
    -Receiving Emails and SMS
    and
    -Surfing web (not recommend while driving,)
    All at the same time!!!
    In no way am i saying multitasking isn't a great thing, but what you describe could be done on an iPhone also. In fact, it could be done BETTER:
    - iPod runs in the background of other apps on iPhone. And shake to shuffle feature is great.
    - SprintNav sends calls to VM (Learned this the hard way. Missed 2 big calls)
    - Receiving Email/SMS and Surfing Web are all standard

    When your phone is this powerful then having no web/phone is a big deal. I've learned to put up with it, but I stupidly didn't realize the SprintNav uses the web and it sent some important calls straight to VM. For most things then I love having everything on one device but for GPS then I'm going to stick with a standalone garmin.


    As for the OP's main question, I find the Pre to be the better messaging device. The integration of AIM, GChat, MMS, SMS is better. And even though I still type faster on the iPhone (predictive text is top notch), a physical keyboard gives you more screen space.
    Last edited by Urkel; 06/17/2009 at 04:24 PM.
  7. #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by Urkel View Post
    In no way am i saying multitasking isn't a great thing, but what you describe could be done on an iPhone also. In fact, it could be done BETTER:
    - iPod runs in the background of other apps on iPhone. And shake to shuffle feature is great.
    - SprintNav sends calls to VM (Learned this the hard way. Missed 2 big calls)
    - Receiving Email/SMS and Surfing Web are all standard

    When your phone is this powerful then having no web/phone is a big deal. I've learned to put up with it, but I stupidly didn't realize the SprintNav uses the web and it sent some important calls straight to VM. For most things then I love having everything on one device but for GPS then I'm going to stick with a standalone garmin.
    I think you may have had signal issues if it sent 2 calls to VM, as when I have run SprintNav my calls had no problems coming through.
  8. #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by j2lawson View Post
    I think you may have had signal issues if it sent 2 calls to VM, as when I have run SprintNav my calls had no problems coming through.
    Same here.
  9. #9  
    Pre still does browser better than the iphone 3G w/3.0 i just downloaded. (may have to restore iphone as it seems even more laggy than usual and some of the apps seem to not work well..EDGE was having problems connecting to anything). Oh and my sync just now is going past 30minutes..still shows "backing up.."

    Messaging is a nobrainer for Pre right now.

    Multimedia? It's not that far apart. I don't care about paying for movies/tv. Pre needs a tweak where you can operate the player when phone lights off. Also needs to handle podcasts better and add a scrubber bar.
  10. #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    Pre still does browser better than the iphone 3G w/3.0 i just downloaded. (may have to restore iphone as it seems even more laggy than usual).

    Messaging is a nobrainer for Pre right now.

    Multimedia? It's not that far apart. I don't care about paying for movies/tv. Pre needs a tweak where you can operate the player when phone lights off. Also needs to handle podcasts better and add a scrubber bar.
    Messaging is a no brainer in the iPhones advantage if your a corporate exchange user.

    Multimedia on the Pre is not even in the same ballpark as the iPhone. Besides having only 7 gig of space to use, I find the music player and video player sluggish, and the screen is to small for watching movies. In addition, there no place to buy videos or tv shows for the Pre yet.
  11. urkel's Avatar
    Posts
    944 Posts
    Global Posts
    946 Global Posts
    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by j2lawson View Post
    I think you may have had signal issues if it sent 2 calls to VM, as when I have run SprintNav my calls had no problems coming through.
    Just tested it right now (I'm indoors). I was able to send a call out, but when I called the cellphone then it shot it straight to VM. Tried from 2 different lines.

    I'm curious how the SprintNav works then. Does the app go to the web to cache the necessary map data then drop the connection? If so then that makes sense because maybe it was just a timing thing where calls were coming in during a map refresh and blocked the calls.
  12. urkel's Avatar
    Posts
    944 Posts
    Global Posts
    946 Global Posts
    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    Multimedia? It's not that far apart. I don't care about paying for movies/tv. Pre needs a tweak where you can operate the player when phone lights off. Also needs to handle podcasts better and add a scrubber bar.
    You said it's not that far apart, but you also pointed out several things that make the iPhone miles ahead of the Pre media player.

    - Scrubber is missing (It was missing in iPhone 1.0 also)
    - More lightsoff control (shake to shuffle isn't as gimmicky as I thought. Love it!)
    - Podcasts/Audiobooks (No bookmarking makes the Pre a medieval player)

    In the Pre's defense though, the iTunes integration works well and my 100GB of iPod encoded MP4's play fine on the Pre. So, pending Apple doesn't cut us off, the Pre is one update away from being a capable MP4 player.

    BTW, while we're talking of fixes... Please let us remove the Amazon MP3 link and PLEASE let us default into list view rather than album covers. I absolutely hate that Apple popularized that useless coverflow view.
  13. vkewalra's Avatar
    Posts
    42 Posts
    Global Posts
    43 Global Posts
    #13  
    The inability to forward texts and multiple recipients texts is going to drive you crazy. That may get fixed in the next software update.
  14. #14  
    i've had a curve for the past year and i can say that texting (SMS) on a blackberry was horrible. threaded text messaging doesn't exist. i know that it does some silly form of putting together the last sent and receive texts in one window but that's not true threaded text. it's also terrible because if i'm typing a message to someone and they send me a reply before i've finished typing i need to back out of my message to see what they wrote and then go back and type it again. really time consuming. i know there are 3rd party apps to address this but i found pop-ups to be annoying.

    but Blackberry Messenger was great..if you know other folks with a blackberry.

    my blackberry also did email really well. i definitely appreciated how easy it was to setup and get my email instantly. i also loved the quick keyboard shortcuts for composing, searching and replying to messages. i do think that the blackberry is good for email and making phone calls with excellent battery life.
    i was also pleased that i could be connected to gchat, aim, and msn right out of the box and those connections wouldn't kill my battery.

    However, the Pre, I think does messaging a lot better than the blackberry. The combined messaging approach is wonderful. There are things that could stand improvement like forwarding txt messages but those are minor, especially for me since I don't forward txts. But the messages are truly threaded, the interface is nice, and being able to send mms and have them be seamlessly integrated in the chat is great.

    But the Pre does other things really well too. Multitasking is great, push email is fast and convenient. And I love synergy. I also love universal search even though it needs to be broadened to include, calender, email etc. But it's nice for what it does provide at the moment.

    I've never owned an iphone but i did own an ipod touch and the platform is great; the multimedia, the ease of use, the capacity etc. But i think that you do have to be prepared for some differences and open yourself up to being patient while some issues get worked out. But I think that Pre is an awesome phone (not without flaws) and it will only get better with time.
  15. srfcrzy's Avatar
    Posts
    153 Posts
    Global Posts
    217 Global Posts
    #15  
    I'm a "Mac person" and getting the next iphone iteration was a no-brainer for me. I had been dead set on it for the past 4 mos since I went off contract with my BB. Or so I thought...

    I just got my Pre two days ago and LOVE it.

    I needed a phone mostly for messaging, sometimes for calls, often for light web-browsing, weather, news, to keep information and appointments handy, a calendar. I can't say enough about how seamlessly and intuitively the Pre multitasks. Messages come in while you are doing something else, you glance, decide what to do, go in and out of stuff like it was nothing. It's SWEET.

    My only on-going reservation is will the hardware hold up. I am nervous as hell about dropping it or the halves getting loose (they have a tiny bit of give now). The hardware is gorgeous today, but I'll be so bummed if it doesn't hold up because I LOVE THIS PHONE.
  16. #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by mobileman View Post
    Messaging is a no brainer in the iPhones advantage if your a corporate exchange user.
    In no way is the exchange better on the iphone. I have used both and the pre's ability to have more than one account and to show both color coded calendars is awsome. Don't get me wrong the exchange on the iphone is as good as most but no way can you say it's a no brainer.
  17.    #17  
    Thanks for all the replies!

    As far as exchange goes, that has become incredibly important to me recently so the more support there is the better. It seems the general consensus is the Pre does it very well so that's good to know. I know with where I work the iPhone is on the "no access" list, and that the Pre is in the process of being checked and certified for it.

    I do love how the Pre handles threaded messages. I thought the iPhone did it well, but integrating IM into texting is a very nice touch.

    I'm sure with any new phone there will be a learning curve, especially since as many similarities are between the iPhone and the Pre, there are differences.

    My only true concern is not with the device itself but with Sprint. I checked the coverage map on their website, and where I live it said coverage varies, yet where I work there is great service. It would be sort of disappointing to only be able to use my phone half the time.

    halmo: I saw you use Sprint Nav, how has that been working for you? I had planned on buying a nav app for iPhone when it was released so I'm curious how reliable/accurate it is.
  18. #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by Raska View Post
    halmo: I saw you use Sprint Nav, how has that been working for you? I had planned on buying a nav app for iPhone when it was released so I'm curious how reliable/accurate it is.
    I know you were asking halmo but I have use it as well and I have to say even after reading some reviews that said that it was slow to respond or takes forever to correct a course I have found it to works pretty well. My only concern so far with it is that it makes your phone really hot. I have it on my car charger and it does cool down in a couple of minutes after I turn it off but it was quite hot from the screen staying on. But I have to say it's not a bad replacement for a car gps.
  19.    #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by syphex View Post
    I know you were asking halmo but I have use it as well and I have to say even after reading some reviews that said that it was slow to respond or takes forever to correct a course I have found it to works pretty well. My only concern so far with it is that it makes your phone really hot. I have it on my car charger and it does cool down in a couple of minutes after I turn it off but it was quite hot from the screen staying on. But I have to say it's not a bad replacement for a car gps.
    I asked halmo only because I saw he replied regarding nav. I definitely want to hear as many opinions as I can so thank you for yours!
  20. #20  
    My advice is to wait another week or so until the latest Pre software update is available. Then go on into a Sprint store and kick the tires.

    right now, the Pre is still crude and somewhat buggy on core PIM apps and SMS. Specifically, moving around the cursor and editing text in SMS is cumbersome. Cut & paste is available, but actually using it as compared to the same feature on the new iPhone OS is painfully primitive. In fact, there are a great many "little things" that simply need polish.

    That said, buying today's the Pre hardware is a promising investment since the team at Palm employed a chipset that matches the new iPhone's and built a UI that is a generation above anything else out there.

    Lawrence
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions