Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
  1. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mobileman View Post
    Ofcourse you need to call me a fanboy. I am allowed an opinion, even if it differs from yours. I have had a Pre since launch day, so please dont make accusations that I haven't tried the Pre.

Waiting .375 seconds for the weather to reload (do I really need to keep checking the weather after every text), just doesnt seem like that big a deal to me. Especially with the faster processer of the 3GS, I'm not sure I care enough about having to reload a webpage.
    wow wow,

first of all .375 is not true , its about 1-2 secs , and try doing that about 4 times and hour on 5 apps .

You are taking minutes here .

I am not saying you are wrong and I am right ,
    all I am saying is it takes time to do the multitasking thing.

Patience levels for each person vary.

May be Pre owners are not patient and iPhone owners are patient enough to wait.
    [QUOTE=Doug D;1688933]
    Quote Originally Posted by Skysurfer View Post
    My advice is to wait another week or so until the latest Pre software update is available. Then go on into a Sprint store and kick the tires.

Skysurfer you know what, tonight I stopped in a local sprint store to check out the pre first hand for the first time and the sprint guy who walked over to me could not even figure out how to get one of the pre's out of demo mode .. it was kinda sad.

Anyway, after that I liked what I saw. Somethings were not apparent to me since I'm currently an iphone users. My contract with AT&T is up in December and I'm dying to get off AT&T. I'm slowly warming my wife to the pre so when it's "go time" well both make the switch.

gbp,

The Pre will only get better, and by December I can only imagine. That "Sprint guy"...I'm not so sure.

Lawrence
    Quote Originally Posted by mobileman View Post
    Ofcourse you need to call me a fanboy. I am allowed an opinion, even if it differs from yours. I have had a Pre since launch day, so please dont make accusations that I haven't tried the Pre.

Waiting .375 seconds for the weather to reload (do I really need to keep checking the weather after every text), just doesnt seem like that big a deal to me. Especially with the faster processer of the 3GS, I'm not sure I care enough about having to reload a webpage.
    since when opinion is credible with no experience? Just sitting in a room and make a judgment without any hands on, tell me how your "opinion" is an "opinion"?

now when it comes to iPhone, you happily provided a number!

".375"!

and you call that a fair judgment? on one hand, you judge pre with no experience, on the other, you praise iPhone with a number, why do I feel your logic is just so messed up?
    Quote Originally Posted by searchable View Post
    Lastly, to thread starter, IM client multitasking is no longer a huge issue now that iPhone OS uses alerts which will effectively let you stay on IM even though the app is closed. Is this as good as multitasking? NO WAY! But it gets the job done and maybe saves battery power.
    AIM push? or what IM is pushing? even so, I suspect pushing with have delays.

Not to mention, multitasking is not an IM only issue after all. The system wide desktop level-multitasking is the real killer
    Hardware
    • Slider is jolty and folks worry about longevity (i didnt think so)
    • battery life reported as bad.
    • Keyboard awful for me (just not easy to use)
    • Ringer volume low
    • speaker volume low
    • 8gb was great in 2008.
    • battery life reported great, the information you have need to be updated, check this forum
    • speaker volume, yes.
    • Ringer volume,,,,, mmm, no,, depends on the MP3, it can be quite loud, I dont think this is a problem.
    • keyboard... I have to say coming from Centro, I like what Pre has to offer
    • 8GB, depends what you use it for, for a smartphone, I imagine most users would be okay with 8G, still, SDHC is the right direction to go.

Software
    • No custom alert tones (ie. custom one for alarms, SMS, and email)
    • Universal search not universal (just apps and contacts, no email or calendar)
    • Copy / paste -- currently only EDITABLE text (so SMS or emails or pictures in emails directly cant be copied, have to reply to the email to be able to copy paste it!). From http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...idding-me.html
    • Exchange mail server issues related to SSL
    • Reports are slow OS responsiveness (which I also experience in my LIMITED use)
    • Texting issues: (http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...t-kidding.html)
    • Doesn't FWD basic txt messages
    • Doesn't have a page where one can see txt mess. inbox/sent/draft/etc..
    • can't change ringtone for txt messages
    • No "Delete All" / "Delete only Outgoing"/ etc...
    • no quick-text
    • no timestamp on each message sent and received (just a vague timestamp at the beginning of an exchange)
    • Doesn't FWD basic txt messages
    • Pre doesn't allow downloads from the web browser
    • can't type special characters into web browser fields
    many valid points, I sure like palm to address many, if not all of them sooner than later.

I do have small problem with the question about if the problems you raised are significant enough, from a buyer's point of view, to counter the vast superior experience Pre has to offer over iPhone.
    Please add that editing text is cumbersome.

Thanks,

Lawrence
    Global Posts
    210 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by srfcrzy View Post
    This is true. I keep meaning to ask if anyone knows about another way to move the cursor...

Anyway, the tap-screen to relocate is a bit awkward, but even with that, I still like texting on this phone. To send, you just tap the little paper airplane icon and it's off! Very fast.
    Hold down the orange key and move your finger around, you don't even have to be accurate where you are putting your finger. Try it!
    Global Posts
    217 Global Posts
    ^ Thanks, but I must be doing something wrong. I get the little target looking thing that I can pull left and right, but then I'm at a loss to do anything with it. I've tried the hash/short cut as well as using the "Edit" menu. Nothing happens.

I don't want to hijack this thread--maybe I should just go find the topic for this user issue...
  7. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    its a bit tricky ,
    orage to move cursor around and shift to select .

Take a while to get used , but after you figured out it works like a charm.
  8. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    though not as simple and efficient as Windows Mobile
    Global Posts
    88 Global Posts
    One note on the Nav, you should be able to receive calls while using Nav as long as you are in a EV area. If you are in a 1x data area, and the phone is actively using data, then it would be sent to VM, but when using EV data, calls can still come through.

I knew I would love multi-tasking before I had it, even for little things like reading and email, clicking on a link, and instead of having to wait for the page to load, I can go back to the email and load other pages, then go back and read the web pages, as they loaded in the background.
    Quote Originally Posted by meballard View Post
    One note on the Nav, you should be able to receive calls while using Nav as long as you are in a EV area. If you are in a 1x data area, and the phone is actively using data, then it would be sent to VM, but when using EV data, calls can still come through.
    meballard, I don't mean to pick on you, but I hope you mean EVDO in your post above, because EV typically stands for Electric Vehicle. I was confused for a few moments. I'm like why would being near an Electric Vehicle have any effect on your ability to use navigation?
    Developer must watch videos by Douglas Crockford of Yahoo:
    The JavaScript Programming Language part 1/4
    Theory of the DOM 1/3
    Advanced JavaScript 1/3
    i was an iphone user too. i jumped ship to palm and i did not regret it abit
    Global Posts
    88 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SeanBlader View Post
    meballard, I don't mean to pick on you, but I hope you mean EVDO in your post above, because EV typically stands for Electric Vehicle. I was confused for a few moments. I'm like why would being near an Electric Vehicle have any effect on your ability to use navigation?
    Definitely EV-DO, I mostly just used the short EV because that's what the phone displays EV or 1x in next to signal strength to reference which mode the phone is in.
    I get excellent navigation reception in my electric vehicle...
    this thread is thoroughly amusing
  15. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    okay
    now check that anand tech review

AnandTech: The Palm Pre Review

home button on iPhone makes ridiculous compared to the swiping on Pre.

Folks who designed the Iphone might have not imagined 50000 applications being developed and about 50 of them downloaded to the Iphone.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123