Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    [QUOTE=Skysurfer;1688899]My advice is to wait another week or so until the latest Pre software update is available. Then go on into a Sprint store and kick the tires.

Skysurfer you know what, tonight I stopped in a local sprint store to check out the pre first hand for the first time and the sprint guy who walked over to me could not even figure out how to get one of the pre's out of demo mode .. it was kinda sad.

Anyway, after that I liked what I saw. Somethings were not apparent to me since I'm currently an iphone users. My contract with AT&T is up in December and I'm dying to get off AT&T. I'm slowly warming my wife to the pre so when it's "go time" well both make the switch.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raska View Post

Now, what do I use my phone for? Well, I can safely say the number one thing is text messaging. I am a HUGE text messaging fan, routinely racking up 7000+ messages a month. Aside from that, I use my iPhone for music (in my car and at work), AOL IM, Twitter, light web browsing, and now more recently for calendar, stocks, and weather. Basically every smart phone can do all of those things, so it ultimately comes down to HOW they do them.
    TXT msg, AIM, Twitter, Web, Calendar, Stock, weather. You can open them altogether on the Pre, and switch instantly among them, with all flow simultaneously.

your AIM will never off when you check weather or stock or calendar.
    you can reach your AIM buddies through txt msg when his AIM is off, all in same screen.

with sprint, your 7000+ msg is not charged for $20/mo, you will be saving $480 over the contract alone on this. Buy a small netbook maybe, with that money.
    Last edited by clevin; 06/17/2009 at 07:09 PM.
    Not sure you can say Pre does messaging well when it can't yet forward text messages.
    Quote Originally Posted by searchable View Post
    Not sure you can say Pre does messaging well when it can't yet forward text messages.
    i dont deny thats a good function to have, but I have yet to see any source saying msg forwarding is such an important, have to have function for most users.

at least for me, I have yet to forwarding any msg.

If its indeed extremely important, lets hope palm read this and update it ASAP.
    Quote Originally Posted by syphex View Post
    In no way is the exchange better on the iphone. I have used both and the pre's ability to have more than one account and to show both color coded calendars is awsome. Don't get me wrong the exchange on the iphone is as good as most but no way can you say it's a no brainer.
    Unless ofcourse you are trying to connect to an exchange environment that enforces certain security and pin policies like many companies require. Then, your Pre becomes useless. These work fine on the iPhone.
    Quote Originally Posted by clevin View Post
    TXT msg, AIM, Twitter, Web, Calendar, Stock, weather. You can open them altogether on the Pre, and switch instantly among them, with all flow simultaneously.

your AIM will never off when you check weather or stock or calendar.
    you can reach your AIM buddies through txt msg when his AIM is off, all in same screen.

with sprint, your 7000+ msg is not charged for $20/mo, you will be saving $480 over the contract alone on this. Buy a small netbook maybe, with that money.
    But your only looking at each screen one at a time. Dont see how its that much different on the iPhone.
    Quote Originally Posted by mobileman View Post
    But your only looking at each screen one at a time. Dont see how its that much different on the iPhone.
    because the program isn't closing down...
    Originally posted by mobileman:
    It's okay mobileman. It's like the Touchstone, you have to use it to get the beauty of it.

I'm a previous Treo 700P user and didn't realize how much I would love multitasking, the touchstone, and Internet Radio (Pandora). Now I wouldn't have a device that didn't do them seamlessly. I"m hooked and I'm barely at the tip of the iceberg in use of my Pre (I still have a lot to learn).
  9. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    Nice post and good question, I hope you are getting the answers you are looking for.

Here is another thing that Pre does best which iPhone seriously lacks. It is
    "Knowing what programs you have open ".

With iPhone you have to jump back and forth with the center button , and still have no clue whats open and whats not.

You might argue that "knowing what's open and whats not is irrelevant as long as the iPhone manages it well",
    but it saves an extra tap ( or click) to jump between the apps. Plus you have control of which one of these you can close.

Having said that , iPhone lets you talk and browse at the same time which you cannot do on a Pre.
    I think it is a carrier option.

Serious gaming APPS apart , which iPhone has a lot , there is not much of a difference in both the devices , since both are conceived by APPLE and ex APPLE folks.

on other note , cardfan said the browser is faster in Pre than iPhone 3.0G which might win some brownie points , but I still believe the difference is in 2-5 seconds range.

I compared the browser load time of these two with native browsers of BB Bold, Storm and Opera 95 on WinMo ( Diamond, Touch, 800W),
    the results are clear , iPhone and Pre rules at HTML rendering and overall page loading ( images and such) than any browser on "ANY OTHER PHONE".

G1 comes closer to these two in this regard.
  10. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    you have an idea of which of the browser sessions , you tube , mail and those billion of the fart apps you opened
    are you kidding? each time you open AIM on iPhone, sign in again, each time you open weather, loading again, each time you check each webpage, reload again, each time you open any third part app, or non-background-able apple apps, reload again.

You shouldn't make judgment like that before you try it.

and your statement suspiciously follows many apple fanboys' logic:

"anything apple's products can NOT do is useless", the blind logic bares no truth in it.
  12. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    Seriously talking, iPhone will copy this cards concept and will implement in the next version of iPhone.

The current scenario of using the middle or home button is akin to airlines using a particular air port as hub.

You got to go to the hub for getting on your connecting flight.
    If you can jump from A to C , why bother going to A to B then B to C ?
  13. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    are you kidding? each time you open AIM on iPhone, sign in again, each time you open weather, loading again, each time you check each webpage, reload again, each time you open any third part app, or non-background-able apple apps, reload again.

Agree completely , except for the Phone app , the background process is rather poor on the iPhone.

I was playing with an iPhone earleir today .

Was viewing scores on a website and keeping an eye on the STOCKS.

With iPhone , I have to open the browser check the scores , then click the center button . go to page three to find my stocks.

All I have to do it alternate between the two cards on Pre
  14.    #34  
    Quote Originally Posted by gbp View Post
    Agree completely , except for the Phone app , the background process is rather poor on the iPhone.

I was playing with an iPhone earleir today .

Was viewing scores on a website and keeping an eye on the STOCKS.

With iPhone , I have to open the browser check the scores , then click the center button . go to page three to find my stocks.

All I have to do it alternate between the two cards on Pre
    That's really at the core of my biggest issue with the iPhone. I absolutely love using Pandora on my iPhone, but if I get a text message I have to quit out, reply back, then go back into Pandora, wait for it to load and reconnect. Then as soon as the music plays I get another text, and its a vicious cycle. If only Apple would implement some form of in-app text reply. Of course multitasking is another way to solve this problem, and many others.
    Quote Originally Posted by gbp View Post
    Seriously talking, iPhone will copy this cards concept and will implement in the next version of iPhone.
    eventually yes, but I bet that won't happen in another year.

The fundamental problem with iPhone is the OSX mobile is too big and not flexible enough to run on mobile device of this sort without causing stability and battery problems.

The battery technology hasn't changed in years. So they are pretty much wait for apple to slim down OSX mobile.

But,

Apple is not particularly strong in software developing, it takes apple 8 years to mature OSX, Leopard was prematurely released with 3 patches before it got stable. A simple on top of webkit function called page preview in safari 4 beta eats 6GB harddrive spaces.

PPL got blinded by apple's glamor and fail to recognize that for the money and human resource apple put in the products, its efficiency is absurdly low.
    Global Posts
    217 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Skysurfer View Post
    moving around the cursor and editing text in SMS is cumbersome.
    This is true. I keep meaning to ask if anyone knows about another way to move the cursor...

Anyway, the tap-screen to relocate is a bit awkward, but even with that, I still like texting on this phone. To send, you just tap the little paper airplane icon and it's off! Very fast.
    I made a list of issues reported in this forum I thought you might find helpful. At this point, I think I am going to wait for the next WebOs device. I think WebOs is eventually (if Palm stays in business) going to be a great OS!

I would appreciate it if the Pre fans not start flaming me as it was gathered from reviewing the posts in this forum!

Ok, I am ready for responses that an entry is wrong, the missing functionality doesn't matter for X reason, it's a 1.0 device give it time, Palm is working on it, and Pre multitasks.

Lastly, to thread starter, IM client multitasking is no longer a huge issue now that iPhone OS uses alerts which will effectively let you stay on IM even though the app is closed. Is this as good as multitasking? NO WAY! But it gets the job done and maybe saves battery power.

Hardware
    • Slider is jolty and folks worry about longevity (i didnt think so)
    • battery life reported as bad.
    • Keyboard awful for me (just not easy to use)
    • Ringer volume low
    • speaker volume low
    • 8gb was great in 2008.

Software
    • No custom alert tones (ie. custom one for alarms, SMS, and email)
    • Universal search not universal (just apps and contacts, no email or calendar)
    • Copy / paste -- currently only EDITABLE text (so SMS or emails or pictures in emails directly cant be copied, have to reply to the email to be able to copy paste it!). From http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...idding-me.html
    • Exchange mail server issues related to SSL
    • Reports are slow OS responsiveness (which I also experience in my LIMITED use)
    • Texting issues: (http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...t-kidding.html)
    • Doesn't FWD basic txt messages
    • Doesn't have a page where one can see txt mess. inbox/sent/draft/etc..
    • can't change ringtone for txt messages
    • No "Delete All" / "Delete only Outgoing"/ etc...
    • no quick-text
    • no timestamp on each message sent and received (just a vague timestamp at the beginning of an exchange)
    • Doesn't FWD basic txt messages
    • Pre doesn't allow downloads from the web browser
    • can't type special characters into web browser fields

and your statement suspiciously follows many apple fanboys' logic:

"anything apple's products can NOT do is useless", the blind logic bares no truth in it.
    Ofcourse you need to call me a fanboy. I am allowed an opinion, even if it differs from yours. I have had a Pre since launch day, so please dont make accusations that I haven't tried the Pre.

Waiting .375 seconds for the weather to reload (do I really need to keep checking the weather after every text), just doesnt seem like that big a deal to me. Especially with the faster processer of the 3GS, I'm not sure I care enough about having to reload a webpage.
    @searchable - No flames - this is a fair list. Just depends on how important these issues are to a potential customer. Most of the above are "nice to haves" for me from a software standpoint - but the hardware "problems" you listed are subjective: FOR ME - slider - FINE, battery - FINE (and better than my WM device), keyboard - actually a PLUS in my book, ringer and speaker volume - NO PROBLEM for me, 8gb - FINE.

It would be fair to have someone put together a similar list for the iPhone because I am too lazy.
    It's not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent, but the one most responsive to change” - Darwin
  20. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts

Software

No custom alert tones (ie. custom one for alarms, SMS, and email)
    who says ? connect to your computer , then choose USB option.
    Drag your mp3 into ringtones folder.

Pre doesn't allow downloads from the web browser
    Sure . but there is work around.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast