1.    #1  
    I searched the bug list at the top of the forum and saw no GPS bug.

Since I have been in Europe since the 9th, I have been using my Pre a lot - exclusively with WiFi while in Airplane mode. I've been using it to use twitter and send my friends my location - at least, that was my hope.

I have been using the locator for tweed. I love how it fetches a tinyurl automatically for it for google maps. The problem is, nearly every time I use it, it gives me the same coordinates as last time I used it. Even after rebooting.

I can reboot the phone and open google maps. Same location.
    I can reboot the phone and open Tweed, same location.
    Reboot the phone and open Spaz and 'update location' and it's the same.

What's really odd is in my location settings it seems to have my gps as permanantly on. I can turn it off, but if I close the card and reopen it - it's on again. This issue seems to go away, however, if I turn airplane mode off.

At last count, I have rebooted about 6 times and the GPS location won't change. I think it eventually will, but I don't know when.

I can't get a firm repro down yet, which is why I haven't posted it as a bug - but it definitely seems that there is an issue with trying to run GPS in an airplane mode environment with wifi longterm.

I'll keep this updated as I discover more.
    Global Posts
    46 Global Posts
    Airplane mode = all radios off... including GPS (U.S. airlines won't even let you use a regular GPS on board) yes, the GPS is only a receiver but it's considered a radio by the FAA.

I don't know about the Pre's hardware but the way the SW works (for now) is that the phone will not grab coordinates without the phone radio on.

-tim
  3.    #3  
    Alright, I did consider that - and I think you are right. Two things though:
    1 - Programs (the OS) that use location should have better error handling in airplane mode instead of pretending to work.
    2- The GPS switch in the location settings probably shouldn't ever say "on" when in airplane mode, if what you say is true.

It would be nice to be able to turn off each radio/receiver separately.

Another thing I just noticed that can be reproduced that I would consider a bug (Steps to reproduce):

1- Turn your location setting on or off.
    2 - Exit location settings.
    3 - Go immediately back into location settings

Observe that it saves your last setting.

Now do the same thing with airplane mode on. Notice that it will NOT save your settings.

If this is by design, it's pretty silly.
  4.    #4  
    An update - I have turned off airplane mode and rebooted twice, and it still gives me the same coordinates it's been stuck on.

I even dial ##GPS# and it just tells me the same coordinates and stays there (even though I'm on a boat in the baltic).
    Quote Originally Posted by AustinTim View Post
    Airplane mode = all radios off... including GPS (U.S. airlines won't even let you use a regular GPS on board) yes, the GPS is only a receiver but it's considered a radio by the FAA.
    I do not believe that is true. I know people that have used stand alone GPS receivers while on a plane. As you said it is passive (receiver only) so poses not problems for the aircraft. I am unsure with the Pre of course. ii
    Systems Analyst by trade, Drummer by desire and Music Lover by birth. A self proclaimed Geek and gadget nut. ii

Did you know: The Pittsburgh Steelers have more championships than 21 other NFL teams combined!
    Pittsburgh Steelers-6 Time Super Bowl Champions!

Pittsburgh Penguins-3 Time Stanley Cup Champions!
    Global Posts
    46 Global Posts
    It is _somewhat_ dependent on the carrier (airline) but for the most part it is discouraged or forbidden... see GPSRFI there are links to the FAA towards the bottom...

Beanis, unless the phone can get a cell tower you won't get a GPS fix... may or may not be a hardware issue...
    It is _somewhat_ dependent on the carrier (airline) but for the most part it is discouraged or forbidden... see GPSRFI there are links to the FAA towards the bottom...

Beanis, unless the phone can get a cell tower you won't get a GPS fix... may or may not be a hardware issue...

Interesting. You learn something new every day! ii
    Systems Analyst by trade, Drummer by desire and Music Lover by birth. A self proclaimed Geek and gadget nut. ii

Did you know: The Pittsburgh Steelers have more championships than 21 other NFL teams combined!
    Pittsburgh Steelers-6 Time Super Bowl Champions!

Pittsburgh Penguins-3 Time Stanley Cup Champions!
  8.    #8  
    Except for the first few days in Europe (using airplane mode, no CDMA) It was working fine and very accurately. I do not see why it would need a cell tower to use GPS.

After playing with it for about an hour and rebooting it several times it now shows a different location (the wrong one) but the location won't move.

This sort of problem is very hard to troubleshoot without more GPS tools like the ability to see individual satellites.

I don't know what's going on. I feel there is a bug here but having a hard time putting my finger on it.
  9.    #9  
    Interestingly my wife's pre is showing the exact same location (which we are not at), at the center of the city we are in. I think it might actually be grabbing location information off the wifi, probably the ISP - that would explain a lot.