Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Well today I went to replace my one day old Palm Pre. It had several stuck/dead pixels and a crack had started to form in the bottom left gesture area. Yes, I was extremely gentle with this phone for the one day I owned it. Other than that I had no complaints. The reception was fine, the battery life was acceptable, and even the tightness of the build was great (no wobble).

So anyway, I visit the Sprint store this morning to exchange the phone and they said they had a "new shipment of new Pres arriving" later today and that they would call me. A few hours later I get a call and return to the store. The sales rep, was very good, I'll have to say, but Sprint's exchange policy is not.

I thought I was going to be getting a brand new phone. Nope! And guess what folks, if you have to do an exchange neither are you now that the REFURBS ARE ALREADY IN STORES. That's right, I'm a brand new one-day old customer with Sprint and they're trying to replace a new phone with a refurb.

Well, despite what my gut was telling me, (you *****... you just paid $300 for a refurb??), I gave the refurb a test-run in the store. It had dead pixels, a wobbly screen that rotated a couple degrees right/left, no springy keyboard action, and an uneven build. Wow, that's totally acceptable, right?

Anyway, long story short, I did a full-return and cancelled my account. I didn't want to, but I'm not going to pay top dollar for mediocracy and worse, refurbished junk. This goes way beyond "early-adopter" growing pains.

Best of luck precentralers! I figure I will give it another try in a few months when Palm and Sprint have there ducks in a row (hopefully).
    Global Posts
    815 Global Posts
    I would have done the same thing. No way I'm paying $199 for the refurbished unit, even if they wanted to give me a credit on my account. Not happening.
    why didn't you just return it and they say I'd like to buy a brand new one? HAHA
    So the store wouldn't just get a new one in for you when they could and you could live with the other until then?
    Global Posts
    17 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sake View Post
    Well today I went to replace my one day old Palm Pre. It had several stuck/dead pixels and a crack had started to form in the bottom left gesture area. Yes, I was extremely gentle with this phone for the one day I owned it. Other than that I had no complaints. The reception was fine, the battery life was acceptable, and even the tightness of the build was great (no wobble).

So anyway, I visit the Sprint store this morning to exchange the phone and they said they had a "new shipment of new Pres arriving" later today and that they would call me. A few hours later I get a call and return to the store. The sales rep, was very good, I'll have to say, but Sprint's exchange policy is not.

I thought I was going to be getting a brand new phone. Nope! And guess what folks, if you have to do an exchange neither are you now that the REFURBS ARE ALREADY IN STORES. That's right, I'm a brand new one-day old customer with Sprint and they're trying to replace a new phone with a refurb.

Well, despite what my gut was telling me, (you *****... you just paid $300 for a refurb??), I gave the refurb a test-run in the store. It had dead pixels, a wobbly screen that rotated a couple degrees right/left, no springy keyboard action, and an uneven build. Wow, that's totally acceptable, right?

Anyway, long story short, I did a full-return and cancelled my account. I didn't want to, but I'm not going to pay top dollar for mediocracy and worse, refurbished junk. This goes way beyond "early-adopter" growing pains.

Best of luck precentralers! I figure I will give it another try in a few months when Palm and Sprint have there ducks in a row (hopefully).

Sounds strange to me. Saturday I brought my wife's Pre into a Sprint store (different one than I bought it) because it would power off when the screen closed. Got a call this morning that they had a new shipment in and I had 48 hours to exchange the phone. It came in a yellow box and there was no indication that it wasn't brand new.
    Global Posts
    66 Global Posts
    They told you it was a refurbish phone? or you just assume since it have the same problem as other ppl do?
    Last edited by OneSix; 06/17/2009 at 02:45 PM. Reason: rephrasing my statment
    This maybe is a dumb question but how can you tell if it is a refurb?
    That sucks man.
    they are supposed to discolse refurbs.
    I'll be watching closely when they call me to p/u my replacement and will do the same thing if its a refurb.
  11.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by Beanis View Post
    So the store wouldn't just get a new one in for you when they could and you could live with the other until then?
    Funny you ask that... because that is exactly what I was told would happen when I first visited this morning. Then later today when "their shipment" arrived they took the stance that 'all exchanges are with refurbs if they're in stock'. And apparently today they got a bunch of refurbs in.

They also had new ones today. When I was called in the lady left me a voicemail saying "we're kicking someone down on the waiting list so you can get your new Pre today, please call back for an appointment."

When I arrived 45 minutes later their story had changed. So after looking at the garbage Pre the guy handed to me, as if it was in any way shape or form acceptable, I was just furious. They had wasted my time. Account cancelled.
  12.    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by OneSix View Post
    They told you it was a refurbish phone? or you just assume since it have the same problem as other ppl do?
    No, the sales rep brought it out from the back room. It was in a small cardboard box with only barcode labeling and only the phone was in the box. I asked him if it was a refurb and he said, "Yes, we do Pre exchanges with refurbs now that they're in stock."

I'm not a timid shopper. I'm observant and ask plenty of questions to make sure I'm not getting the shaft. Especially when an exchange is involved... A lot of retailers will try to give you open-boxed items for exchanges. Sprint is just taking it down another level to refurbs.
    Global Posts
    8 Global Posts
    bpdamas - I had a bad 800w replaced awhile ago and if you go to your on-line account you can view the esn number - the number matched the phone but had an 'r' or 'ref' - something like that in front of it. My refurb esn number on the phone itself had no such indication (the letters).

Hope this makes sense.
    Global Posts
    46 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bpdamas View Post
    This maybe is a dumb question but how can you tell if it is a refurb?
    ##786# and scroll down a bit there's a refurb condition (mine says "no") and refurb date listed also there's the maufactureing date in there too
    Well, I'm not too suprised. Apple is the same way. I had a babied iphone that had an issue playing video (loooong story) and they swapped it out with a "white box" version. These are refurbished / recertified, whatever. I sat there and inspected 2, seeing that they had bright stuck pixels. I refused to leave with either, much to the dismay of the Apple Genius. Stick to your guns. Don't accept a phone that you are not comfortable leaving the store with. More than likely, you got someone elses return.
    Unbelievable! What do they expect you have a 30 money back guaranty.
    Global Posts
    815 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enlil242 View Post
    More than likely, you got someone elses return.
    that's what I'm always afraid of. I don't want to end up like the radio shack story.
    smart move. That was ridiculous. I'm holding to my centro for awhile.

-sent via Pre
  19.    #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by realistdreamer View Post
    smart move. That was ridiculous. I'm holding to my centro for awhile.

-sent via Pre
    Oh the irony! hehe

I miss it already... oh well.
    I was at the Sprint Store today I had to exchange my phone also. I asked about refurbish phones, and the Manager said in the first 30 days you get a new one. The OP's Sprint store is off it's rocker. Sprint policy for exchange in the first 30 days is for a brand new one not a refurbish one. They can give you a refurbished one after the first 30 days. Go back and talk to the manager or better yet, call Sprint directly and explain what happen.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast