Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Quote Originally Posted by sake View Post
    rrrrrright....

No, I have not condemned Sprint over one store's problems. I've already made that clear in a previous post. We can all scroll up, so I really shouldn't be forced to copy/paste for yah.
    No need to, I read it all. Your post title implies that this is a company-wide policy - it's not. You've been told on here (and I know for a fact that it's the case) that within 30 days, you are entitled to a new unit.

Not only that, your firs post said:

Best of luck precentralers! I figure I will give it another try in a few months when Palm and Sprint have there ducks in a row (hopefully).
    (My emphasis). As I said, you're blaming Spring for the actions you encountered at the store.

No, I have not ignored the advice of others. I will consider going to another Sprint store in the future and give them another shot; however, I leave town tomorrow and really don't have the time to check out another store for at least a month. I'm sorry I didn't just run right over to the next Sprint store and type this to you on a new Pre. I didn't win the lotto this week, so for now, I have to work.
    Great to hear. Your posts certainly didn't seem to indicate that, other than a vauge reference to when "Sprint have there ducks in a row".

No, I'm not deriding others for not taking the same action I have. Sure every situation is different, but in my case I was blatantly being treated ****-poorly. If you enjoy being taken advantage of then by all means... whatever puts the wind in your sails, bud.
    Ahhh, guess maybe I misinterpreted We all lose when companies figure out you'll do anything, including get bent over, to own a rectangular glowing brick., (my emphasis added) but where in the world did you get the idea I "enjoy being taken advantage of", or that I have been taken advantage of... There's that attitude I was speaking of...

No, you are misunderstanding "the email" I said I wrote. I wrote a constructive "Hi, I work in a customer service related industry, this is what I experienced at your store located at XYZ address, here is what I think you could do to improve service at your store, I hope you understand why I cancelled my account today" email to which I have been promptly replied to by Sprint with a genuine thank you. They have an opportunity to fix the problem now. Maybe the will maybe they won't. I simply won't shop at that particular location again. I gave them five opportunties. What's your limit?
    That may have been what happened, but that's not what you said happened.
    I sent Sprint a long email about the whole thing...
    I doubt much will come from it besides a canned-answer apology.
    So no, I'm afraid you've dreamed up some pretty presumptious and misconceived ideas about my experience with Sprint. It is what it is. It's not representative of the whole company (I never said it was - you did), but it's a terrible level of service people should not accept.
    Yet you keep calling it your experience with Sprint. You may feel totally justified in condemning the company over your experience in one store, but that's what it is. You've used a big long post to dispute that, but then turn right around and reiterate the same things. This was one store, not Sprint.
    First of all, you received a return, not a refurbished unit. NEVER buy a phone from anyone except the carrier and at a carrier store. Resellers have their own policies and their own levels of integrity (usually not high ...). Most electronic items are "refurbished" by putting them back into the original manufacturing line or scrapping them if they are too far gone. In the first case, the phone comes out identical to a new phone, although it is not technically "brand new" and so labeled as a "refurbished" unit. I have had several refurbished Treos over the years due to a propensity to flinging them all over parking lots (not intentionally, though). I have seen resellers pull all kinds of scams, from simply reselling the phones to actual repairs attempted! Anyone else that runs into this kind of problem should immediately call Sprint customer service and e-mail the CEO, Dan Hesse. Most of Sprint's poor customer service reputation is due to resellers IMHO!
    Apparently, you didn't read some key parts of my posts. I inspected the refurb they were going to give me and tested it out in the store. The screen wobbled at least 2-3 degrees left/right, the keyboard had no spring-out action (it just hung out), the gap between the two pieces was huge, and to top it off the screen had dead pixels. Quality control? New parts? Testing? Who are you kidding.... In comparison to the (one-day-old) new one I was exchanging, my new one was far superior to this refurb replacement.

I don't know what salesman fed you that line about refurbs being better than brand new, but every refurb phone I've ever owned has been absolute garbage. They've all had problems. This scenario today was no different. "No offense", but you'd "be a dope" to pay $299 for a refurb.
    Well, I did read your posts, but they're incredible vague.

OK, then my next question to you is, was this a corporate store?? Because there is almost no way in hell they have PROPERLY FACTORY refurbished Pre's in the stores right now 10 days after launch. If they did, it would be freaking amazing.

Was this a "new" in the box refurb? Was their plastic still on it?? Was the box sealed, or in a "refurb" brown box??? If not, then sorry to say but someone was trying to pass off a RETURNED Pre as a refurb. People sometimes used the word "refurbished" when they actually mean "returned product with nothing wrong with it from someone who just changed their mind."

Oh, and depending on the company, factory refurbs ARE just as good, and in a lot of cases better, than straight off the line. They go through extremely picky & stringent testing, more than new "off the line" products do.

Trust me dude, I know what Im talking about. They dont just slap a new casing on it & send it on out like its good as new.
    Quote Originally Posted by TopTongueBarry View Post
    I don't think it has been established that the Pre hardware is of dubious quality. Whether by accident or by my own carelessness, I've managed to drop my Pre about 6 times and its taking the licking just fine. The reception remains as good as it was before (crummy at my house, but strong everywhere else I travel), plus the slider mechanism is as tight as when it came out of the box. This device has a very tight build and the slider feels spring loaded. Had no wobble when it came out of the box, and still has no wobble. No dead pixils so far.

One more thing I wanted to share about this tough as nails smartphone called the Palm Pre. It seems like every time its dropped on the pavement, battery life improves a bit more.!!
    ah, good to hear you are having good luck with it!
  5.    #45  
    Quote Originally Posted by peestandingup View Post
    Well, I did read your posts, but they're incredible vague.

OK, then my next question to you is, was this a corporate store?? Because there is almost no way in hell they have PROPERLY FACTORY refurbished Pre's in the stores right now 10 days after launch. If they did, it would be freaking amazing.

Was this a "new" in the box refurb? Was their plastic still on it?? Was the box sealed, or in a "refurb" brown box??? If not, then sorry to say but someone was trying to pass off a RETURNED Pre as a refurb. People sometimes used the word "refurbished" when they actually mean "returned product with nothing wrong with it from someone who just changed their mind."

Oh, and depending on the company, factory refurbs ARE just as good, and in a lot of cases better, than straight off the line. They go through extremely picky & stringent testing, more than new "off the line" products do.

Trust me dude, I know what Im talking about. They dont just slap a new casing on it & send it on out like its good as new.
    Yes, it was a corp store. I've already stated that. And I don't know what to tell you other than what the sales manager told me. Like I've already said, he brought the replacement from the back room. It was in a regular brown cardboard box and I asked him if it was a refurb and he said, "Yes we just got them in. We do all exchanges with refubs when refurbs are in stock."
    Last edited by sake; 06/18/2009 at 10:54 AM.
  6.    #46  
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    No need to, I read it all. Your post title implies that this is a company-wide policy - it's not. You've been told on here (and I know for a fact that it's the case) that within 30 days, you are entitled to a new unit.

Not only that, your firs post said:

(My emphasis). As I said, you're blaming Spring for the actions you encountered at the store.

Great to hear. Your posts certainly didn't seem to indicate that, other than a vauge reference to when "Sprint have there ducks in a row".

Ahhh, guess maybe I misinterpreted We all lose when companies figure out you'll do anything, including get bent over, to own a rectangular glowing brick., (my emphasis added) but where in the world did you get the idea I "enjoy being taken advantage of", or that I have been taken advantage of... There's that attitude I was speaking of...

That may have been what happened, but that's not what you said happened.

Yet you keep calling it your experience with Sprint. You may feel totally justified in condemning the company over your experience in one store, but that's what it is. You've used a big long post to dispute that, but then turn right around and reiterate the same things. This was one store, not Sprint.
    The basis of my first post was simple. This is what the Sprint corp store told me, so that's all I know. Then I got corrections from folks regarding what Sprint policy actually is and learned from them. Beyond their terrible customer service at this store they relayed policy to me that isn't correct. I made a contrustructive email to Sprint to let them know about that corp. store's problems. If you don't report a problem, then it never happened. And then here you come running in way after the fact, waving your Sprint-All-Mighty flag, defending them based on a bunch of misinterpreted and/or poorly emphasized statements I made.

I'm sorry I had a bad experience with the Sprint Store. I really am. It's probably my fault. It would be totally silly of me to presume that Sprint, the carrier, can be held responsible for the poor made-up policies of a Sprint Corp store. That would imply that there is an element of oversight, quality control, and responsibility from Sprint, the carrier, over it's owned stores. So I guess that would also imply that Sprint Corp stores represent Sprint. What a silly idea that is...

It was so wrong of me to email Sprint in a constructive manner about my experience with that store. What was I thinking? Will I ever be forgiven? Saying I hope Sprint and Palm get their ducks in a row was just completely off base. Yeah, that statement right there should turn into at least a three page thread about how wrong I am to crucify a company. Oh wait, that's right... I didn't. Again, that's not condemning a company. It's making sure they have their ducks (stores) in a row.

No, once again, I think you've just read too many whiner threads and associated mine with one too quickly. You jumped on this thread to be some kind of Sprint defender. And now that you've realized you've made a bunch of mistakes you're kicking and punching your way down. Just let it go. I won't even remember your username in about five minutes so then we can rejoin a new thread tomorrow as superpals. yay.

Last, you can spend all day applying all the emphasis you want to my quoted texts. If there was some misinterpretation from something I wrote poorly, I apologize; however, I think my intent and message has been made clear to just about every person here, but you. It's interesting to note you're pretty much the only person in three pages of replies to take the stance that you have. Hmmm.... This is my last reply to you regarding this sillyness.

For the folks that had constructive things to add, I appreciate it. I think this thread has mostly run it's helpful course though. bye bye
    Last edited by sake; 06/18/2009 at 11:20 AM.
    I can tell you that the Amarillo corporate store said the same thing to me. He said it was Sprint's policy on the Pre that all exchanges be for a refurbished unit. And that phones being returned to the store were being considered refurbs. So in short you were getting a used phone that may or may not have been properly refurbished.

I received an automated survey from Sprint yesterday about this particular visit to the store and I chose the option to have them give me a follow up call since I was dissatisfied with the resolution the store had offered. I'll let you know if and when that ever happens.
    The basis of my first post was simple. This is what the Sprint corp store told me, so that's all I know. Then I got corrections from folks regarding what Sprint policy actually is and learned from them. Beyond their terrible customer service at this store they relayed policy to me that isn't correct. I made a contrustructive email to Sprint to let them know about that corp. store's problems. If you don't report a problem, then it never happened. And then here you come running in way after the fact, waving your Sprint-All-Mighty flag, defending them based on a bunch of misinterpreted and/or poorly emphasized statements I made.

I'm sorry I had a bad experience with the Sprint Store. I really am. It's probably my fault. It would be totally silly of me to presume that Sprint, the carrier, can be held responsible for the poor made-up policies of a Sprint Corp store. That would imply that there is an element of oversight, quality control, and responsibility from Sprint, the carrier, over it's owned stores. So I guess that would also imply that Sprint Corp stores represent Sprint. What a silly idea that is...

It was so wrong of me to email Sprint in a constructive manner about my experience with that store. What was I thinking? Will I ever be forgiven? Saying I hope Sprint and Palm get their ducks in a row was just completely off base. Yeah, that statement right there should turn into at least a three page thread about how wrong I am to crucify a company. Oh wait, that's right... I didn't. Again, that's not condemning a company. It's making sure they have their ducks (stores) in a row.

No, once again, I think you've just read too many whiner threads and associated mine with one too quickly. You jumped on this thread to be some kind of Sprint defender. And now that you've realized you've made a bunch of mistakes you're kicking and punching your way down. Just let it go. I won't even remember your username in about five minutes so then we can rejoin a new thread tomorrow as superpals. yay.

Last, you can spend all day applying all the emphasis you want to my quoted texts. If there was some misinterpretation from something I wrote poorly, I apologize; however, I think my intent and message has been made clear to just about every person here, but you. It's interesting to note you're pretty much the only person in three pages of replies to take the stance that you have. Hmmm.... This is my last reply to you regarding this sillyness.

For the folks that had constructive things to add, I appreciate it. I think this thread has mostly run it's helpful course though. bye bye
    I always think it's funny (and says a lot about the person) when there's a post like this, and the person then wants to end the discussion.

You don't like what I say, that's fine, but you don't get to end it for me.

I didn't wave a flag. I read what you wrote, and made my interpretations. You've said in your post that you don't expect anything from sprint other than a canned apology. You've made your preconceived ideas pretty plain. If your response to me is an indication of how you handle "discussion", I can see where the friction lies in your dealings with Sprint.
  9.    #49  
    I just wanted to give a follow-up about my cancellation experience and a message of caution to any new customers considering doing the same.

Be warned folks. Sprint may try to charge you for one full month's service if you cancel within the 30-day trial.

I had a Sprint account for just over a whopping 24 hours before I cancelled. I got a bill today for $151. Yes, $151.

I called Sprint and the rep told me that even though I only used Sprint for one day my bill was correct. He said there was no way to prorate the bill for one day of service and that I had to pay for a full month even though I only used one day of service.

Long story short I referred him to the Sprint 30-day Guarantee at Our Guarantee. I had to give him the web address because he didn't know how to get to it and had no reference material available about their 30 day guarantee. Wow. Anyway, I had him read allowed this part:

Cancelling your services
    Don’t forget to cancel any services for the device with-in 30 days, like your monthly rate plan, when you return your device or when you call us if you are returning it by mail.

New customers

We’ll:

-Refund any activation fee
    -Waive your Early Termination Fee
    -Only bill you for access and airtime charges you used through the date you cancelled your service.

So then after a long pause he said, "Oh..." and put me on hold. He came back and said he had prorated my account balance to one day of service I'm all paid off and hopefully won't get any more surprises.

I have a hard time believing that their reps are not familiar with their own simple 30-day guarantee. Don't let them take advantage of you. Whatever cell carrier you choose be sure to always know your end of the deal. It could save you quite a bit of money.
    Last edited by sake; 06/26/2009 at 03:49 PM.
  10. d94
    Global Posts
    304 Global Posts
    I've read this entire thread, and while I won't say BS, I am going to say you've engaged in some hyperbole, maybe a lot.

You've taken the actions of one store, possibly one or two individuals in that store, and condemned the entire company (Sprint) over it. In the process, you've ignored the advice of others on how to handle this. Now you're deriding others for not doing the same.

You're attitude about the email (I believe) says a lot. You've already decided how they (Sprint) are going to handle it before you've given them the opportunity.

Every issue I've ever had with Sprint has been resolved, and in some of the instances, Sprint went far and above what they had to do.

My suspicion is that you decided this was going to be a bad experience, and your expectations were met.
    my suspicion is your in denial of many things, stop spamming threads calling people lyers, impatient whatever

my experience with palm was the same, sad to see a sprint store extending the same bull****
    palm pro > visor > m100 > visor prism > clie sl30 > zire 71 > dell X5 > toshiba E755 > clie NX70 > ipaq 2200 > Treo 700w (verizon) > Treo 700wx (sprint) > Treo 755p (sprint) > HTC Mogul > HTC Diamond > HTC Touch Pro > Pre
  11. d94
    Global Posts
    304 Global Posts
    I always think it's funny (and says a lot about the person) when there's a post like this, and the person then wants to end the discussion.

You don't like what I say, that's fine, but you don't get to end it for me.

I didn't wave a flag. I read what you wrote, and made my interpretations. You've said in your post that you don't expect anything from sprint other than a canned apology. You've made your preconceived ideas pretty plain. If your response to me is an indication of how you handle "discussion", I can see where the friction lies in your dealings with Sprint.
    dude seriously? dont you have anything better to do than talk cash ****?

to the OP dont listen to this guy, it seems to be all he does
    odd that a member would have so many posts and time on a forum yet have this kind of behavor, oh well no ones perfect
    also sorry to hear you returned your pre...hope ya give it another chance in a couple months when they hopefully have the kinks worked out of manufcaturing
    palm pro > visor > m100 > visor prism > clie sl30 > zire 71 > dell X5 > toshiba E755 > clie NX70 > ipaq 2200 > Treo 700w (verizon) > Treo 700wx (sprint) > Treo 755p (sprint) > HTC Mogul > HTC Diamond > HTC Touch Pro > Pre
    Global Posts
    31 Global Posts
    Very surprised to hear this ?? Just exchanged my Pre the other day at my local Sprint store , they also called me when there shipment arrived , I was not only given an absolute brand new phone in the box, they gave me all the accessories that came with it as well. so now I have 2 batteries, 2 chargers, 2 cases etc etc , they only took back the phone itself in exchange. I was very happy to say the least
    Is this going to be a big problem? Because I am going to get it this weekend and I will not take anything less than perfect hardware. (They won't sell a refurb as new to me, right?)

By the way, does anyone have any suggestions as to what to check for and how to check for it? (dead pixels, for example. what's the best way to spot them?)
    Quote Originally Posted by dkotoric1 View Post
    why didn't you just return it and they say I'd like to buy a brand new one? HAHA
    Cuz then you get charged a restocking fee.
    I just wanted to give a follow-up about my cancellation experience and a message of caution to any new customers considering doing the same.

Be warned folks. Sprint may try to charge you for one full month's service if you cancel within the 30-day trial.

I had a Sprint account for just over a whopping 24 hours before I cancelled. I got a bill today for $151. Yes, $151.

I called Sprint and the rep told me that even though I only used Sprint for one day my bill was correct. He said there was no way to prorate the bill for one day of service and that I had to pay for a full month even though I only used one day of service.

Long story short I referred him to the Sprint 30-day Guarantee at Our Guarantee. I had to give him the web address because he didn't know how to get to it and had no reference material available about their 30 day guarantee. Wow. Anyway, I had him read allowed this part:

Cancelling your services
    Don’t forget to cancel any services for the device with-in 30 days, like your monthly rate plan, when you return your device or when you call us if you are returning it by mail.

New customers

We’ll:

-Refund any activation fee
    -Waive your Early Termination Fee
    -Only bill you for access and airtime charges you used through the date you cancelled your service.

So then after a long pause he said, "Oh..." and put me on hold. He came back and said he had prorated my account balance to one day of service I'm all paid off and hopefully won't get any more surprises.

I have a hard time believing that their reps are not familiar with their own simple 30-day guarantee. Don't let them take advantage of you. Whatever cell carrier you choose be sure to always know your end of the deal. It could save you quite a bit of money.
    I can't tell you how many times I have caught Sprint reps lying and unaware of their own policies. I have billing mistakes EVERY month. The scary thing here is my friends say the same about the other companies so read your bill every month.
    Global Posts
    98 Global Posts
    No, the sales rep brought it out from the back room. It was in a small cardboard box with only barcode labeling and only the phone was in the box. I asked him if it was a refurb and he said, "Yes, we do Pre exchanges with refurbs now that they're in stock."

I'm not a timid shopper. I'm observant and ask plenty of questions to make sure I'm not getting the shaft. Especially when an exchange is involved... A lot of retailers will try to give you open-boxed items for exchanges. Sprint is just taking it down another level to refurbs.
    Palm is sending me out a Pre because my first one was defective and I returned it back to Best Buy and a few days after I got the new one it started having issues and Best Buy has no idea when if ever they are getting more. Palm told me it would be brand new but today they told me it will probably be a referb! I just bought this brand new! I have only had my replacement Pre less than 2 weeks. If the one Palm sends me is worse or if I see it is a referb I may send it back and bail also. I know we are early adopters, beta testers in a way but come on! At least give us a new device when we exchange it this early! I love my Pre but this is getting crazy!
    Quote Originally Posted by AustinTim View Post
    ##786# and scroll down a bit there's a refurb condition (mine says "no") and refurb date listed also there's the maufactureing date in there too
    By "refurb condition" do you mean "recondstatus"? I am planning on exchanging my pre tomorrow and want to be able to make sure the pre I get is a new one and not a refurb.
    Global Posts
    110 Global Posts
    Well today I went to replace my one day old Palm Pre. It had several stuck/dead pixels and a crack had started to form in the bottom left gesture area.

I'd be shocked if you found someone to swap you out a new phone for your phone with a cracked screen. They could have required a claim to Asurion.
    If at first you don't succeed, keep on sucking till you do succeed.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123