Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1.    #21  
    Quote Originally Posted by dfine1966 View Post
    I was at the Sprint Store today also and the OP's Sprint store is off it rocker. Sprint policy for exchange in the first 30 days is for a brand new one not a refurbish one. They can give you a refurbished one after the first 30 days. Go back and talk to the manager or better yet, call Sprint directly and explain what happen.
    I sent Sprint a long email about the whole thing...

I doubt much will come from it besides a canned-answer apology. I think Sprint has made a lot of headway in turning around the company, but this was just too much. There was quite a bit of Mickey Mouse nonsense that happened that I didn't state on the board here, but I did in the email.

Hopefully it gets someones attention. *shrug*
    Dude, take the refurb! Theyre 10 times better than getting an all new device off the line because they went through much more quality control & testing. Plus, got all new parts on the outside casing.

No offense, but dont be a dope. A refurb is better than brand new.
  3.    #23  
    Quote Originally Posted by peestandingup View Post
    Dude, take the refurb! Theyre 10 times better than getting an all new device off the line because they went through much more quality control & testing. Plus, got all new parts on the outside casing.

Apparently, you didn't read some key parts of my posts. I inspected the refurb they were going to give me and tested it out in the store. The screen wobbled at least 2-3 degrees left/right, the keyboard had no spring-out action (it just hung out), the gap between the two pieces was huge, and to top it off the screen had dead pixels. Quality control? New parts? Testing? Who are you kidding.... In comparison to the (one-day-old) new one I was exchanging, my new one was far superior to this refurb replacement.

I don't know what salesman fed you that line about refurbs being better than brand new, but every refurb phone I've ever owned has been absolute garbage. They've all had problems. This scenario today was no different. "No offense", but you'd "be a dope" to pay $299 for a refurb.
    Last edited by sake; 06/17/2009 at 06:18 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by sake View Post
    Well today I went to replace my one day old Palm Pre. It had several stuck/dead pixels and a crack had started to form in the bottom left gesture area. Yes, I was extremely gentle with this phone for the one day I owned it. Other than that I had no complaints. The reception was fine, the battery life was acceptable, and even the tightness of the build was great (no wobble).

So anyway, I visit the Sprint store this morning to exchange the phone and they said they had a "new shipment of new Pres arriving" later today and that they would call me. A few hours later I get a call and return to the store. The sales rep, was very good, I'll have to say, but Sprint's exchange policy is not.

I thought I was going to be getting a brand new phone. Nope! And guess what folks, if you have to do an exchange neither are you now that the REFURBS ARE ALREADY IN STORES. That's right, I'm a brand new one-day old customer with Sprint and they're trying to replace a new phone with a refurb.

Well, despite what my gut was telling me, (you *****... you just paid $300 for a refurb??), I gave the refurb a test-run in the store. It had dead pixels, a wobbly screen that rotated a couple degrees right/left, no springy keyboard action, and an uneven build. Wow, that's totally acceptable, right?

Anyway, long story short, I did a full-return and cancelled my account. I didn't want to, but I'm not going to pay top dollar for mediocracy and worse, refurbished junk. This goes way beyond "early-adopter" growing pains.

Best of luck precentralers! I figure I will give it another try in a few months when Palm and Sprint have there ducks in a row (hopefully).
    Well done. If you're paying good money, better be getting good quality.

I think palm is reporting strong "pre" sales early on but I'd bet the returns will abbreviate those early numbers.

looks like they tried putting good software into cheap hardware. Not good. We are seeing the results.
    Global Posts
    71 Global Posts
    It seems that you mainly ran into an uninformed service rep? Or maybe they are trying to pawn the refurbed phones off on you- but as long as you are in your 30 days window you can just cancel the policy and return the phone then rebuy right? I understand your frustration and hope something like this doesnt happen to me, but you also have to realize CSRs don't always know the full story- if one seems silly or misleading, just get another.
  6.    #26  
    Quote Originally Posted by wp746911 View Post
    It seems that you mainly ran into an uninformed service rep? Or maybe they are trying to pawn the refurbed phones off on you- but as long as you are in your 30 days window you can just cancel the policy and return the phone then rebuy right? I understand your frustration and hope something like this doesnt happen to me, but you also have to realize CSRs don't always know the full story- if one seems silly or misleading, just get another.
    Actually it wasn't a regular sales rep I was dealing with. It was the sales manager.
    Same as anyone elses, when I bought iphone Apple exhanged it 2 times in the store, within 30 days, with a refurb and finally after I screamed at Apple and ATT online ATT credite my ETF to my account and an extra $100, total of $300 and Apple replaced the phone with a new one at 3 months. (still sucked)
    Quote Originally Posted by dfine1966 View Post
    I was at the Sprint Store today I had to exchange my phone also. I asked about refurbish phones, and the Manager said in the first 30 days you get a new one. The OP's Sprint store is off it's rocker. Sprint policy for exchange in the first 30 days is for a brand new one not a refurbish one. They can give you a refurbished one after the first 30 days. Go back and talk to the manager or better yet, call Sprint directly and explain what happen.
    Exactly! There's no way you shouldve accepted that, if you really wanted the phone that badly you shouldve refused to leave without a new and/or threatened to call the bureau of better business. Policy or no policy that simply doesn't make sense, and someone higher up would've listened. A few wacky sprint reps in whatever town this happened in shouldn't deter you from getting a sweet phone.
    Quote Originally Posted by wp746911 View Post
    but as long as you are in your 30 days window you can just cancel the policy and return the phone then rebuy right? I understand your frustration and hope something like this doesnt happen to me, but you also have to realize CSRs don't always know the full story- if one seems silly or misleading, just get another.
    Absolutely. I did exactly that. I bought my original Pre at 8am on the first day and returned back to the store to exchange it later that morning because it had screen issues. They were sold out and put me at the end of the waiting list. Over a week goes by with them constantly telling me "we'll have some tomorrow or the next day." I was really getting steamed that I was using up my 30 day trial period waiting for them to get around to giving me an exchange. I finally got tired of that a told them to give me my money back right then and there. I then drove to an independently owned Sprint store and bought a brand new one.

The good thing about that is that my 30 day exchange period started over with the new Pre.

A caveat though: I was smart and and have not yet ported my number. If you have already ported your number (and you want to keep it) that will complicate things because it will be tough to get the number back if you just cancel.
  10.    #30  
    This Sprint store had already wasted a vast amount of my time in the span of a very few short days. Like I said, I haven't relayed the whole debacle on the board here. Kicking and screaming here does no good.

I was simply tired of their mismanagement. Sure you can stand there and raise hell in the store until they do good business, but I think an even better option is to simply deny them your business. However, too many people will just **** their hard earned money away and cave into whatever mishandling the store can dish out for the sake of owning a poorly constructed phone that they never needed.

I wish more people would take a step back and see things for how they really are. Get over the 'shiny-new-device syndrome', demand good quality, demand good service, or deny them everything.

I'm not suggesting that the Pre is a bad product. I loved mine, but it could use some work. I'm not suggesting that Sprint is a bad company, but their stores could use some help. I'm just saying, why put up with crap? I didn't and I hope if you're in a similiar situation you don't either.

We all lose when companies figure out you'll do anything, including get bent over, to own a rectangular glowing brick.
    Last edited by sake; 06/17/2009 at 08:25 PM.
    I agree with you, sake. But remember, not all Sprint stores are owned by Sprint. You can take you business to an independently owned store and still have a Pre!
    Well today I went to replace my one day old Palm Pre. It had several stuck/dead pixels and a crack had started to form in the bottom left gesture area. Yes, I was extremely gentle with this phone for the one day I owned it. Other than that I had no complaints. The reception was fine, the battery life was acceptable, and even the tightness of the build was great (no wobble).

So anyway, I visit the Sprint store this morning to exchange the phone and they said they had a "new shipment of new Pres arriving" later today and that they would call me. A few hours later I get a call and return to the store. The sales rep, was very good, I'll have to say, but Sprint's exchange policy is not.

I thought I was going to be getting a brand new phone. Nope! And guess what folks, if you have to do an exchange neither are you now that the REFURBS ARE ALREADY IN STORES. That's right, I'm a brand new one-day old customer with Sprint and they're trying to replace a new phone with a refurb.

Well, despite what my gut was telling me, (you *****... you just paid $300 for a refurb??), I gave the refurb a test-run in the store. It had dead pixels, a wobbly screen that rotated a couple degrees right/left, no springy keyboard action, and an uneven build. Wow, that's totally acceptable, right?

Anyway, long story short, I did a full-return and cancelled my account. I didn't want to, but I'm not going to pay top dollar for mediocracy and worse, refurbished junk. This goes way beyond "early-adopter" growing pains.

Best of luck precentralers! I figure I will give it another try in a few months when Palm and Sprint have there ducks in a row (hopefully).
    Hasn't it already been established that even a brand new Pre is of dubious quality?? Sprint is pretty sleazy to replace a 1 day old item with a refurb. At Verizon, for the first 30 days you get NEW replacements.
    hmmm. so now theyʻre doing refurbs. hopefully The Pre will be handled differently from the old Treo 700p, I remember one treocentral member saying he got 9 defective refurbs in a row, back then refurbs just had to boot up to be considered a good refurb
    garinballbarin
    Quote Originally Posted by peestandingup View Post

What planet did you just arrive from? Refurb better than new?? ah, long story short--NO WAY. Read the OP's story again. Refurb units from any company can have odd problems that aren't noticed by the factories or repair facilities. It's tough enough getting a good product out of China, when it is NEW.
    I asked at my store, and they mentioned not even having any refurbs and their replacements come out of a new box with all the included accessories.
    I wish more people would take a step back and see things for how they really are. Get over the 'shiny-new-device syndrome', demand good quality, demand good service, or deny them everything.

I'm not suggesting that the Pre is a bad product. I loved mine, but it could use some work. I'm not suggesting that Sprint is a bad company, but their stores could use some help. I'm just saying, why put up with crap? I didn't and I hope if you're in a similiar situation you don't either.

We all lose when companies figure out you'll do anything, including get bent over, to own a rectangular glowing brick.
    I've read this entire thread, and while I won't say BS, I am going to say you've engaged in some hyperbole, maybe a lot.

You've taken the actions of one store, possibly one or two individuals in that store, and condemned the entire company (Sprint) over it. In the process, you've ignored the advice of others on how to handle this. Now you're deriding others for not doing the same.

You're attitude about the email (I believe) says a lot. You've already decided how they (Sprint) are going to handle it before you've given them the opportunity.

Every issue I've ever had with Sprint has been resolved, and in some of the instances, Sprint went far and above what they had to do.

My suspicion is that you decided this was going to be a bad experience, and your expectations were met.
    This sucks.. I already swapped out my phone and the new one has dead pixels, yellow discoloration at the bottom of the screen and the slider is loose. I was going to wait a few months until Palm got the quality control issues figured out. Are you saying I can only exchange it for a refurb when the time comes? That would not be cool. My only other option is to try and find a better one before July 6th but I fear that they will give me **** if I keep returning my pre.
    Global Posts
    113 Global Posts
    Swapped my Pre out today with a brand new one. The independant store I go to has treated me good for years, they were great. No questions asked, in and out.

Sorry to hear about your experiance.
    Quote Originally Posted by 1812dave View Post
    Hasn't it already been established that even a brand new Pre is of dubious quality?? Sprint is pretty sleazy to replace a 1 day old item with a refurb. At Verizon, for the first 30 days you get NEW replacements.
    I don't think it has been established that the Pre hardware is of dubious quality. Whether by accident or by my own carelessness, I've managed to drop my Pre about 6 times and its taking the licking just fine. The reception remains as good as it was before (crummy at my house, but strong everywhere else I travel), plus the slider mechanism is as tight as when it came out of the box. This device has a very tight build and the slider feels spring loaded. Had no wobble when it came out of the box, and still has no wobble. No dead pixils so far.

One more thing I wanted to share about this tough as nails smartphone called the Palm Pre. It seems like every time its dropped on the pavement, battery life improves a bit more.!!
  20.    #40  
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    I've read this entire thread, and while I won't say BS, I am going to say you've engaged in some hyperbole, maybe a lot.

You've taken the actions of one store, possibly one or two individuals in that store, and condemned the entire company (Sprint) over it. In the process, you've ignored the advice of others on how to handle this. Now you're deriding others for not doing the same.

You're attitude about the email (I believe) says a lot. You've already decided how they (Sprint) are going to handle it before you've given them the opportunity.

Every issue I've ever had with Sprint has been resolved, and in some of the instances, Sprint went far and above what they had to do.

My suspicion is that you decided this was going to be a bad experience, and your expectations were met.
    rrrrrright....

No, I have not condemned Sprint over one store's problems. I've already made that clear in a previous post. We can all scroll up, so I really shouldn't be forced to copy/paste for yah.

No, I have not ignored the advice of others. I will consider going to another Sprint store in the future and give them another shot; however, I leave town tomorrow and really don't have the time to check out another store for at least a month. I'm sorry I didn't just run right over to the next Sprint store and type this to you on a new Pre. I didn't win the lotto this week, so for now, I have to work.

No, I'm not deriding others for not taking the same action I have. Sure every situation is different, but in my case I was blatantly being treated ****-poorly. If you enjoy being taken advantage of then by all means... whatever puts the wind in your sails, bud.

No, you are misunderstanding "the email" I said I wrote. I wrote a constructive "Hi, I work in a customer service related industry, this is what I experienced at your store located at XYZ address, here is what I think you could do to improve service at your store, I hope you understand why I cancelled my account today" email to which I have been promptly replied to by Sprint with a genuine thank you. They have an opportunity to fix the problem now. Maybe the will maybe they won't. I simply won't shop at that particular location again. I gave them five opportunties. What's your limit?

No, I did not have low expectations before starting a Sprint account. The phone worked great for me. The reception was fine. The battery was good. After owning the phone for only one day though I noticed some bad pixels and needed a new replacement. No big deal, right? The only thing negative about this whole thing were this store's employees. Like I said, I'm not going to go into detail about everything that happened from start to finish (because it's really none of your business)....

....but you might be interested to know that when I was finally called about my first Pre being available for pickup the store wanted me to wait two days to come pick it up because they wanted me to buy it from the rep that I originally spoke to. Well, I went along with it even though I thought it was odd that I had to work around their schedule. I made an appointment for two days later at 9am. I get to the store right at 9am and guess what? There's only one employee that showed up to work and my guy didn't show up at all that day. When I asked rep if it was normal for the employees to not show up on-time or at all he just shrugged his shoulders and said "it happens". I had to stand around for 1 1/2 hours until the store manager showed up to help me. Apparently the guy at the store didn't have access to start new accounts. Yeah, so that was fun.

That was the least of the issues I had with this store. It was just the beginning. So, where was I? Oh yes. I had low expectations? Right... Sure... I had high expectations. I was excited to switch to Sprint that day and get a cool new phone. But then the store just kept dropping the ball. I should have just left that day.

So no, I'm afraid you've dreamed up some pretty presumptious and misconceived ideas about my experience with Sprint. It is what it is. It's not representative of the whole company (I never said it was - you did), but it's a terrible level of service people should not accept.

Call it B.S., call it whining, call it whatever you want. Some people appreciate this sort of feedback and I think it presents a big picture way of dealing with this kind of service. It doesn't happen everywhere, but it happens too often.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast