Global Posts
    727 Global Posts
    I just did a number port from Verizon to my already active Pre. The CS rep didn't know I was calling from my Pre, nor did she ask me to have it shut off before doing the port, so now my Pre still shows the old number.

Now, in order to have it update the phone number with the network, apparently I need to do a hard reset and wipe the phone. I want to avoid this because I just want to avoid more hassle.

Does anyone know of a way to force the Pre to update it's phone number without doing a restore to factory defaults? Please??

Thanks.
    Global Posts
    540 Global Posts
    two of my pre's ported all by themselves. the third required me to go into some special menu using hash codes to edit it. none of the phones required a restart or reset.

give it some time. it might take a while?
    neathings - neatˇthings and apps for webOS
    Global Posts
    727 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pomokey View Post
    two of my pre's ported all by themselves. the third required me to go into some special menu using hash codes to edit it. none of the phones required a restart or reset.

The CS girl had me shut down my phone and start it back up, which didn't work, so she proceeded me down the path of ##786# and clicking reset. She said this is the only other way to get the phone to update itself for the new number.

The port should take up to 4 hours to happen, but my phone should already show the new number, I was told.

So should I just wait? Should I try shutting down the phone for a few hours? I definitely don't want to reset to factory defaults if it can be avoided.
    Global Posts
    727 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pomokey View Post

How did you know about going in to edit the number?
    Quote Originally Posted by notabun View Post
    How did you know about going in to edit the number?
    When my number didn't port from verizon (even though i waited several hours), I called and Sprint CS and they told me to go to a store! What?? But he sounded drunk. So i called again and got someone else who was much more knowledgeable. he walked me through some codes to edit the number on the pre and within seconds the new number was active. Sorry I can't remember the specific menu's, but there was something about first changing it to all 0's, then changing it to the ported number. Also, when they port, apparently there is some sort of alias number that needs to programed in there too....
    Global Posts
    727 Global Posts
    Yup, called back to technical support this time and they gave me the instructions to edit the number.

CS person scared me.

Thanks all.

EDIT: On a side note, the tech person I got was outstanding. He made sure everything was good with texting, data, etc. with tests and took his time to make sure all was well. I was impressed.
    Global Posts
    37 Global Posts
    When I had my number ported I had to go though the hash codes to change the area code (407 -> 423) and they gave me a temporary number for the 423 number that I wanted. Since I did it the first day I got the phone the person I talked to was really nice and was basically reading from the book for the first time. A few hours later Sprint called me back to tell me the exact time my new number would port over.

Based on my experience if your current number has the same area code as the one you want it should happen automatically. Overall, I was very impressed with Sprint's customer service.