Global Posts
    29 Global Posts
    well im gonna go buy a pre tomorrow (if i can find one) and i wanted to know what should i do first? i remember reading something about ssh and root?? whats all that? i havnt used a palm phone since the 755... im a windows mobile guy so cut me some slack lol
    First: RTFM
    Second: Read these forums
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
    Global Posts
    747 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by xTKxhom3r View Post
    well im gonna go buy a pre tomorrow (if i can find one) and i wanted to know what should i do first? i remember reading something about ssh and root?? whats all that? i havnt used a palm phone since the 755... im a windows mobile guy so cut me some slack lol
    You should clean up your Google contacts and Facebook today so that they don't look like a mess on your phone.
    Global Posts
    29 Global Posts
    you know if you guys have nothing useful to post then dont post at all ****ing idiots...
    Global Posts
    65 Global Posts
    Unless you need to tether the Pre to your laptop, you should just ignore all that ssh and root stuff.
    Global Posts
    815 Global Posts
    you know if you guys have nothing useful to post then dont post at all ****ing idiots...
    wow, only seen one post in here not related to what you were asking, and you start with name calling. I hate to tell you, but that will not get you very far. Everything else was helpful and true. Maybe you should start over.
    SSH and rooting a device is basically hacking into your device and accessing the file system.
    Rooting the Pre is used to add homebrewed (homemade apps) and also to add different capabilities to the phone. You can root your phone to enable the capability to add and remove pages in the apps menu. However, this is only for experienced developers because you can easily brick your phone (mess the phone up to the point were it's worth as much as a brick).
    SSH is when you access the file system over wifi. You can not yet do this to the Pre but it is widely used to jailbreak an itouch or iphone.
    Global Posts
    78 Global Posts
    I agree with Kouki. Go into your Gmail account and toss any contacts you don't need. I thought I had done a good job the Friday before I got mine. I still pulled over a bunch of trash. Do the same with Palm Desktop if you still have that data. I've been carrying some contact since my first Palm Pilot in the 90s. Most of those people are dead!

Do the same for your calendars. Clean 'em up because they'll be coming over whether you like it or not.

And in the words of Pre, Have fun.
    Are you sure you're not Gekko? That's exactly the kind of thing he would say and with the same tone and, well, you do only have a couple of posts under your belt.

...anyway, we'll know for sure if, after you've "bought your pre", you decide to bash it.
    Quote Originally Posted by ronlongo View Post
    Are you sure you're not Gekko? That's exactly the kind of thing he would say and with the same tone and, well, you do only have a couple of posts under your belt.

...anyway, we'll know for sure if, after you've "bought your pre", you decide to bash it.
    LOL, gekko would have called them ******s (rhymes with whooshes) as that is his favorite term of endearment.
    Last edited by hopalee; 06/17/2009 at 03:06 PM. Reason: eta explanation for "expletive"
    I lurve my Pre! <3
    Global Posts
    74 Global Posts
    Ronlongo? Please feel free to fish for trolls, but it's not fair to bait them like that... Lol....

Trolling for trolls? Sounds like a new game!! How's Sprint reception down there in the littlest state? I need to make a run to Middletown in the next few weeks for some Newport wine...
    Global Posts
    29 Global Posts
    man im sorry if i started out on the wrong foot but come on what the hell is this...

Quote Originally Posted by meyerweb View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Stihl View Post
    [IMG]http:/i30.photobucket.com/albums/c347/Stihl/kermitbale.gif[/IMG]
    i mean if you dont want to help fine but dont make useless posts like this

and for the rest of uall thanks for the advice but i dont have a gmail account only hotmail so i dont think anything is going to transfer... and all my "contacts" are just emails for like msn messenger are they going to transfer to my phone as phone contacts???

and ill definitely be rooting my pre what kind of apps are out there right now?
    Quote Originally Posted by meyerweb View Post
    You could do a lot worse that take meyweb's advice. There's plenty of evidence of people not doing so.
    Global Posts
    61 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by johncc View Post
    You could do a lot worse that take meyweb's advice. There's plenty of evidence of people not doing so.
    I have to agree. It may have been tongue-in-cheek but the manual and these forums are the best first steps you could possibly make. You've obviously found the forums but don't forget the video reviews linked from the site's main page either.

I would also make backups of whatever PIM data you have currently. It took me several tries to get contact and calendar data setup properly.