webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Devices >  Palm Pre and Pre Plus > Phone is Broken! Only Works on Speaker phone!!!
Phone is Broken! Only Works on Speaker phone!!!
Like Tree1Likes

Old 06/17/2009, 01:00 PM   #1 (permalink)

About an hour ago my phone stopped working. I am unable to hear people talk at all and they cant hear me unless I click the speaker phone button. I rebooted twice, pulled the battery out and played with every switch. I cannot get the phone to work normally. Any advice? Anyone else have this problem?
Thanks
Mike
mk9027866 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/17/2009, 01:27 PM   #2 (permalink)

My gf had the same issue, called sprint and they told her to swap it out.
chrissurra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/17/2009, 02:26 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quick question for you - does the headset work?

If it is does then your problem is simple and fixable as I have had this issue with my iPhone 2G, iPhone 3G, and as of today my Palm Pre.

You see the phone thinks that a headset is connected when it is not, the cause of this is either lint or dust. What seems to happen is lint, for example, with find its way into the headphone port and get compacted in there somehow so as to make the phone register a headset when none is connected. This is easily fixed and should not cause your phone to be replaced!

There are two fixes: 1) The Preferred Way: Spray some canned air into the headphone port and the issue should be cleared up. 2) The Quick Fix Way: Physically connect and disconnect (i.e. put in/pull out) a headset from the port a few times to dislodge the materials.

I hope you problem is this simple and can be fixed by what I have suggested.
pcorrado is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by gillkumer likes this.
Old 06/17/2009, 02:36 PM   #4 (permalink)

it's a known problem..

i had it happen to me twice with pandora where when unplugging the headset/cable that pandora would keep playing the music and not pause itself thus thinking that a headset was still plugged in

one time i fixed it by running through the interactive tests and going through the headset portion of the test as well (with a headset). The other way which is what someone else suggested is to go into pandora with a headset plugged in and pause/play it and then unplug the headset and see if it fixes the issue.

it worked for me first time through with that but it might take a few plug ins/outs. also of note.. i couldnt get the thing to fix itself by going on a phone call and unplugging/replugging the headset over and over
apollo92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/17/2009, 05:31 PM   #5 (permalink)

I had the same problem and it scared/made me angry. Had to unplug my headphones about 3 times until it fixed itself. Thanks from saving me an angry trip to a sprint store.
Ezalis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/28/2009, 11:19 PM   #6 (permalink)

i have tried everything and nothing, still stuck, advance tech support said it was stuck this way, not even a hard reset helps, i have to go back to the store and get in line, how lame. i have two on my account, and this is what i get days on end without using my phone in the expected fashion. once i figured it out i can still use it sometimes but you cant always use speakerphone or the headset. help. sprint is blowing it, i will just take it back and piddle around for a while with something else until there are custom roms and fun games. i love it, but it's gonna be way better later on. this is definitely software, i dont care what they say, anybody figured this out? i want my pre back
jbelew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/13/2009, 06:09 PM   #7 (permalink)

I've had the same problem - and I had this problem on my Treo - lint, dust, powder gets in the headphone port and fools the sensor - maybe I should buy a rubber plug for the headphones jack. Canned air always works for me, and if I don't have access to that I unplug/replug/unplug the headset a few times and that resets it.

Once I was able to get it to reset when I paired my BT headset, then switched the audio settings - but YMMV.

Last edited by chrischampion; 09/13/2009 at 06:10 PM. Reason: added info on why
chrischampion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/13/2009, 07:18 PM   #8 (permalink)

They're sending me a replacement Pre for this very reason... I tried all the fixes mentioned, and they all only worked temporarily. Every time I was able to get it to switch back to normal, it seemed like it lasted shorter and shorter until it reverted back to headset only mode.

I definitely pissed off a few people by calling them and then not saying anything. My supervisor actually gave me a hard time about it... well, that and the fact that I couldn't open a VCF card and had to call him a couple times for a phone number to one of our vendors.
rastataoist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/11/2009, 06:53 PM   #9 (permalink)

Fixed!!!

Same prob, no sound in or out except on speaker phone.

Do keep it loose in my pocket - may have got some lint jammed into the socket. I just pushed a headphone jack in and out a few times and all is well and my blood pressure has returned to normal.
Bas Rutten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/14/2009, 10:31 AM   #10 (permalink)

Thanks "pcorrado" ! I have had this problem a few times before and on one of the 3 Pre's i've been through. The other times it just eventually went away if i plugged the headphones in or something like that but this time it wouldnt fix it. It has been doing this for about 2 days now and it really started to **** me off but thanks to your hint about the lint or whatever could be caught in there, it really helped and i blew out whatever was in there and it went back to normal instantaniously! Thanks!
daddio722 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/16/2009, 10:46 PM   #11 (permalink)

Mine has been stuck this way for three weeks now, this happened just after I got my first pre replaced. The pre has not met expectations at all for me.
umm_reid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/16/2009, 10:56 PM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mk9027866 View Post
About an hour ago my phone stopped working. I am unable to hear people talk at all and they cant hear me unless I click the speaker phone button. I rebooted twice, pulled the battery out and played with every switch. I cannot get the phone to work normally. Any advice? Anyone else have this problem?
Thanks
Mike
I got 2 prefurbs last week; the first over heated before I left the store. The 2nd had the same problem you have right out of the box. Just got another one today. Do yourself a favor and check everything before you leave the store.
tjc501 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/17/2009, 01:30 AM   #13 (permalink)

Try going to the interactive tests under device info. Then go under where it says something like test audio/speaker unit (something like that). I had the same problem that fixed it.
fry8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/17/2010, 01:37 PM   #14 (permalink)

Thanks to all who posted the lint issue. I slept on a hide a bed last night that hadn't been used since the 70's and stirred up a bunch of dust. I noticed the dust on my phone in the morning, but I never put two and two together, and I certainly never would have thought about cleaning the headphone jack. Thanks again for the help. This site and all you guys are awesome. You've saved me quite a few headaches.
jesussaves88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/22/2010, 06:28 PM   #15 (permalink)

Dust has nothing to do with this issue. There is no optical sensor in the audio jack that detects the insertion of the headset. I am assuming that the u-processor does not get the acknowledgment, interrupt that the head set has been removed due to a HW/SW bug. Multiple insertion should do the trick but at times, it does not. I am a software engineer and deal with these kinds of problems at times. I am not however sure about the design of the Pre but I am most certain that either HW is not inserting an interrupt to the u-processor when the audio jack is inserted/removed or SW is ignoring interrupt due to being busy to servicing other tasks.
This is one of the most annoying bugs I have dealt with on this phone and I am surprised Palm has not fixed it yet. I have missed important calls with clients because of this issue and you can't always put the phone on speaker phone in public places where privacy is of importance.
hadipre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/23/2010, 11:21 AM   #16 (permalink)

Damn... I'm having the same problem. It happened when I unplugged a line out cable from my phone while playing Pandora. I was able to fix it for a little bit by plugging and unplugging headphones, but I just made a call and only had speakerphone or headphones. UG! I think it has to do with Pandora.

I tired compressed air and bluetooth headset.

Found this thread: http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...sound-fix.html

Last edited by musicguy; 02/23/2010 at 11:28 AM.
musicguy99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/23/2010, 11:41 AM   #17 (permalink)

It is a problem that happens to all devices with open ports. Dust/debris gets into the port and when you pull out the headphone plug the trip mechanism does not flip back so the device still thinks that it is in "headphone mode". Some people have used alcohol/compressed air to fix this problem while others just simply plug/unplug the headphones a few times. This happend to me a few months ago, to fix this on my pre, I lightly sprayed some WD40 on the headphone plug and inserted it and then removed it and cleaned the plug with a cloth. I repeated this a few times and it fixed the problem
on my pre. PLEASE do not spray directly into the headphone jack.
netwrkr9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/23/2010, 02:11 PM   #18 (permalink)

I tried that... it didn't fix it for me.

I'm using http://forums.precentral.net/showthread.php?p=2242059 now which fixes all the sounds, except using the phone through the earpiece.
musicguy99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/23/2010, 02:18 PM   #19 (permalink)

I have been telling people this for 2 months now,never had another problem. Shave some cotton off a qtip so it fits in speaker hole,,dip in rubbing alcolhol and insert an spins few times. Neve had an issue again.
zmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/23/2010, 02:55 PM   #20 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by zmann View Post
I have been telling people this for 2 months now,never had another problem. Shave some cotton off a qtip so it fits in speaker hole,,dip in rubbing alcolhol and insert an spins few times. Neve had an issue again.
Turn the phone off and pull the battery before doing this, but yes - this should clean things up just fine.
ssrjazz is offline   Reply With Quote

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0