Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 28
  1.    #1  
    When you are almost at your destination. It doesn't display the actual address....? Just the street name, for example E 900 S

    I can't find the final destination address unless I stop the trip on the Pre and go back to my saved address... Or am I missing something?

    Other than that it has worked great. Found me within 5 seconds actually. Accurate directions all that good stuff.
  2. #2  
    Another key feature is things like avoid toll roads etc
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by Vyruz Reaper View Post
    Another key feature is things like avoid toll roads etc
    That's a minor issue. Do stand alone GPS units have that option?
  4. #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by xberserker View Post
    That's a minor issue. Do stand alone GPS units have that option?
    Yes. It also doesn't include the ability to disable U-turns. It also doesn't re-route quickly, properly, or effectively. I've already voiced all these opinions about Sprint Navigation. It's a poor man's GPS which is basically featureless.
  5. #5  
    If I were paying the $10 a month for it, it would be nice. But as is, included with the plan...it works for me.
  6. wessock's Avatar
    Posts
    124 Posts
    Global Posts
    238 Global Posts
    #6  
    Also no using GPS coordinates as a destination.
  7. #7  
    MPH. Is there a way to show how fast you are going that I have missed? Mapquest Navigator has this on my BB.
  8. #8  
    There were a few things for me, one being that there's no easy way to mount the Pre in my car. I think I'd need to make one of the touchstone car hacks people are doing.

    The fact that none of my address book addresses show up in there REALLY sucks. I know I could just add them in, but it's annoying and would take a long time.

    I also found in strange that there was no easy "Go Home" feature. I had that on my Garmin and used it all the time. Half of the times, all you want to do is have it take you home based on where you currently are, so it was nice to have that as the first menu option on the first menu so it was easy to get to.
  9. #9  
    Sure, Sprint Navi's not a Garmin, and my wife and I do still use our Garmin for most family trips. But, Navi works well enough that I'm not tempted to by a second dedicated GPS for my car.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
  10. kurpaige's Avatar
    Posts
    63 Posts
    Global Posts
    408 Global Posts
    #10  
    WOW, you actually want a cellphone's GPS to reveal the features of $200+ dedicated GPS units out there? What's next, Sprint TV should be in HD? Oh wait, that would be nice
  11. #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by mkrajew View Post
    The fact that none of my address book addresses show up in there REALLY sucks. I know I could just add them in, but it's annoying and would take a long time.
    http://discussion.treocentral.com/we...-contacts.html

    Read this thread and follow the link in post 19 to Palm forums and you can make them show up. My 150 addresses now show in Sprint Nav. I learned a lot about linked contacts along the way.

    They key is that the addresses must be originally created under a Palm Profile. Changing to or creating one after the fact didn't work for me, even after deleting the original google Profile. One must erase the Palm Profile and load your addresses using Palm Data Transfer Assistant, choosing Palm Profiles. It's not as hard as it sounds.
  12. wessock's Avatar
    Posts
    124 Posts
    Global Posts
    238 Global Posts
    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by kurpaige View Post
    WOW, you actually want a cellphone's GPS to reveal the features of $200+ dedicated GPS units out there? What's next, Sprint TV should be in HD? Oh wait, that would be nice
    Considering it's a relatively simple matter of updating the software and Sprint touts it as one of their key features, yeah. And the Dedicated units are over priced too.
  13. pomokey's Avatar
    Posts
    526 Posts
    Global Posts
    540 Global Posts
    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by galavanter View Post
    http://discussion.treocentral.com/we...-contacts.html

    Read this thread and follow the link in post 19 to Palm forums and you can make them show up. My 150 addresses now show in Sprint Nav. I learned a lot about linked contacts along the way.

    They key is that the addresses must be originally created under a Palm Profile. Changing to or creating one after the fact didn't work for me, even after deleting the original google Profile. One must erase the Palm Profile and load your addresses using Palm Data Transfer Assistant, choosing Palm Profiles. It's not as hard as it sounds.
    okay, so most of my contacts are on google, so how do I copy those over to the palm profile, without manually typing them all in on the phone?
    neathings - neatˇthings and apps for webOS
  14. darmood's Avatar
    Posts
    59 Posts
    Global Posts
    60 Global Posts
    #14  
    Tapping the screen brings up navi options, tapping trip & traffic summary brings up route traffic, map, tapping traffic brings up route, tapping the desired rd or whatever brings up ability to avoid segment
  15. #15  
    I used the Sprint Navagation extensively over the last 3 days while on a business to STL. The only problem i have had is a few of the exits did not exist. I am guessing the exits where renumbered recently as there is a lot of highway construction going on. Traffic updates are very accurate.
  16. cl191's Avatar
    Posts
    112 Posts
    Global Posts
    148 Global Posts
    #16  
    Besides the missing avoid toll road function, the biggest problem I have with this is that I can't pan maps around smoothly and this makes it extremely hard to look ahead of your route.

    And to answer the "WOW, you actually want a cellphone's GPS to reveal the features of $200+ dedicated GPS units out there?" question, I had TomTom Navigator on my Treo before and it completely replaced my standalone unit. However, if I get on a long road trip, I do tend to bring my UMPC with mapping software on it, so I can see things better on a bigger screen.
  17. #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by xberserker View Post
    That's a minor issue. Do stand alone GPS units have that option?
    Avoiding toll roads is not a minor issue for those of us in places where corrupt state government is selling existing roads to foreign investors and tolling us to kingdom-come (Austin, Texas).
  18. #18  
    My major issue is that my phone has no GPS apparently. I thought I had the most perfect, "issue-free" Pre assembled.

    Then last night I jump in the car to meet some family way out of town- about a 45 minute drive. I"m used to relying on Spint Nav to get me places, so I don't think twice about it. Well, needless to say I had to stop at many, many gas stations.

    I tried to just edit the starting location by typing in where I was, and searching for my destination. Once you do that, however, you are locked onto that route forever. If I ever wanted to update my location I literally had to close the program, launch it again and perform the whole process all over again.

    And apparently Sprint Nav doesn't actually close the program, it just minimizes it to an alert at the bottom of the screen that says "Tap to Resume Navigation" or something like that.

    In the meantime, the Google Maps in the background can only find a mile-wide spot where I could be, and then the application froze. First time I've seen that happen.

    My "location-based" apps work, but apparently they must be triangulating me from the cell phone towers.

    I have never wanted to smash a phone before. I was actually considering whether the satisfaction would be worth the $300 plus $150 contract-break. Luckily, there was beer where I arrived at, so my Pre is still intact.
  19. 1234ipad's Avatar
    Posts
    96 Posts
    Global Posts
    99 Global Posts
    #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by galavanter View Post
    MPH. Is there a way to show how fast you are going that I have missed? Mapquest Navigator has this on my BB.
    How about your speedometer?
  20. kurpaige's Avatar
    Posts
    63 Posts
    Global Posts
    408 Global Posts
    #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by cl191 View Post
    Besides the missing avoid toll road function, the biggest problem I have with this is that I can't pan maps around smoothly and this makes it extremely hard to look ahead of your route.

    And to answer the "WOW, you actually want a cellphone's GPS to reveal the features of $200+ dedicated GPS units out there?" question, I had TomTom Navigator on my Treo before and it completely replaced my standalone unit. However, if I get on a long road trip, I do tend to bring my UMPC with mapping software on it, so I can see things better on a bigger screen.
    True, TomTom, a third party addon that cost extra, loved it on my 755p, sprint is offering free with plan GPS that does a nice job as a backup, I doubt if they ever thought you would use it as your primary way to get around. I may be wrong, but it does more then enough for the price.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions