Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by kurpaige View Post
    True, TomTom, a third party addon that cost extra, loved it on my 755p, sprint is offering free with plan GPS that does a nice job as a backup, I doubt if they ever thought you would use it as your primary way to get around. I may be wrong, but it does more then enough for the price.
    Yeah I think it "kind of sucks" too. Not a real navigation system. Mapquest Navigator is a good alternative.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shane112358 View Post
    If I were paying the $10 a month for it, it would be nice. But as is, included with the plan...it works for me.
    Err technically, you are paying 10 bucks a month for it. It's just bundled into the 69.99 price, which is the issue with SEP a-la-carte for some folks who don't want or like Telenav (Sprint navigation). Sprint Navigation (or Telenav) separately is 10 bucks a month add-on normally.

I say Sprint should bring back additional plans for folks who want to pick and choose what features they want. (I sure miss the Free and Clear plan days or even Fair and Flexible)
    .....Life is But Such Sweet Sorrow.....
    Quote Originally Posted by Merovingian View Post
    Err technically, you are paying 10 bucks a month for it. It's just bundled into the 69.99 price, which is the issue with SEP a-la-carte for some folks who don't want or like Telenav (Sprint navigation). Sprint Navigation (or Telenav) separately is 10 bucks a month add-on normally.

I say Sprint should bring back additional plans for folks who want to pick and choose what features they want. (I sure miss the Free and Clear plan days or even Fair and Flexible)
    I actually upgraded my Free and Clear plan to the Simply Everything.

The problem with Sprint Nav is that it needs more features to be useful to people knowledgeable about GPS or nav systems. Also people voicing their displeasure about Sprint nav is no different than people asking for the Pre's email or IM apps to be upgraded with more features. They're free too, but they need to be better to be useful.
    In my opinion the biggest issue with Sprint Nav is the fact that you need a data connection to download the maps. For someone that uses the phone a lot, the loss of the detailed map during a long call relegates the software to a extremely occasional use item.

Now, that said, I don't have a Pre yet. I am using an 800W hacked to allow third-party gps software to run (Tom Tom). If in fact Sprint changed the software to download ALL of the necessary maps for a trip and cache them on the phone, please report back. That would be a huge improvement.

Even if that is the case, I'm pretty sure you wouldn't be able to change a trip in-call and have the new maps available until the line was free again.

As far as individual quibbbles with capabilities of the software, from what I've seen they all have their issues. It's a matter of finding one with issues in areas that you can deal with.

That's why it's great to have forums!
    Global Posts
    148 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jabo View Post
    In my opinion the biggest issue with Sprint Nav is the fact that you need a data connection to download the maps. For someone that uses the phone a lot, the loss of the detailed map during a long call relegates the software to a extremely occasional use item.
    That's another major issue I have with them too, the other day I was driving along to an area that had bad connections and Sprint Nav immediately gave me some sort of error claiming it can't find the address or something like that (which was not true since I plotted the route with it before I started driving and it didn't give me errors). Given how bad the reception this phone can be, having a Nav program "in the clouds" is a terrible option especially for places that still don't have EVDO service. I much rather have them off my plan (even if they only want to give me $5 credit) and have a real offline Sat Nav program.
    You can get your gps coordinates and speed, alt, etc from the dialer, just type in ##477#.
    Quote Originally Posted by barrysanders20 View Post
    Yes. It also doesn't include the ability to disable U-turns. It also doesn't re-route quickly, properly, or effectively. I've already voiced all these opinions about Sprint Navigation. It's a poor man's GPS which is basically featureless.
    wouldn't the units that feature the ability to avoid toll roads be more suited to the "poor man?"
    Quote Originally Posted by kinster02 View Post
    You can get your gps coordinates and speed, alt, etc from the dialer, just type in ##477#.
    Thanks for this. Not getting much info at the moment in my apartment but will definitely play with this tonight at work (driving).
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12