Global Posts
    111 Global Posts
    Ok the Palm Pre has been on the market since June 6 2009,11 days ago and based upon where you read.There are different totals on the exact numbers of pre that have been sold.
    I live in a metro area of more than 4 million people and I have been looking for the last week trying to find for purchase.It makes me think that Sprint/Palm may control the numbers of units that can be brought.Increasing the demand and hype for the phone.Just like Nintendo did with the wii game system control the numbers on market and increase the hype for it.With so many smartphone due to hit the market soon is this a smart play?

FWIW
    Quote Originally Posted by ls108 View Post
    Ok the Palm Pre has been on the market since June 6 2009,11 days ago and based upon where you read.There are different totals on the exact numbers of pre that have been sold.
    I live in a metro area of more than 4 million people and I have been looking for the last week trying to find for purchase.It makes me think that Sprint/Palm may control the numbers of units that can be brought.Increasing the demand and hype for the phone.Just like Nintendo did with the wii game system control the numbers on market and increase the hype for it.With so many smartphone due to hit the market soon is this a smart play?

FWIW
    Currently, the mail-in rebate deal ends after July 25th. I'm guess somewhere around that date it'll be available online via Sprint.com with little to no wait for a lower price.

I just had to go back on the waiting list just to exchange a defective model. It's getting a little bit ridiculous.
    Global Posts
    48 Global Posts
    I think this belongs to off-topic.

http://forums.precentral.net/off-topic/

Thanks.
    walked into sprint store on Friday at 7:30 pm put name on waiting list. Monday morning at 10:30 am they called me and said they had one. So i picked it up..
    Quote Originally Posted by bugking View Post
    I think this belongs to off-topic.

http://forums.precentral.net/off-topic/

Thanks.
    Huh?? Supply and demand of the Pre isn't on-topic for the Pre? How do you figure?
    Doesn't make any sense. It doesn't make any sense to have high demand and no supply. You want high demand and adequate supply. No smart company keeps supply low unless it's a product that needs scarcity to maintain it's niche as an exclusive card. For example "baseball cards" or limited release cars or art.

it's a $200 cell phone. It's a mainstream consumer product. If they have supply they will sell it. Supply problems damage their stock price because they indicate lack of forethought, bad planning, and bad management. These ideas of conspiracy to keep supply low don't seem to hold water in my experience in the business of selling products.

As for making them available and after the rebate ends and jacking the price up, well i don't think that makes sense either. Not that they wouldn't be dumb enough to do it. That's a different issue. But i'd suspect they'd just release a new rebate program as they often do. Because at $299 (w/o a rebate) it's the same price as the more popular and more memory Iphone 32 GB 3GS. It is thus no longer competitively priced. Especially considering there's still a $99 iphone with the same memory as the Pre. Where they to do that you can bet a lot of people would go, nah i'll just get an iphone since i'm getting more memory. Especially people who are new to smart phones and want a smart phone but don't care about the particulars of multitasking, the method for zooming on a browser, that don't know what tethering means. You have to remember most people still do NOT have a smart phone so there are people out there for all companies to win over. Me i like a keyboard, and the pre but i can't get one yet and i don't know if i like it 100 bucks more then i do and iphone or blackberry.

as for supply issues. Palm needs to get their *** in gear soon because people will get tired and go somewhere else. i'm already tired of waiting for a new phone (as i've been waiting since before the G1) and they will just throw their hands up and go somewhere else. The the Palm would be failing not because it's not good but because Palm failed get it's product to market well.
    Global Posts
    78 Global Posts
    Interesting that you would bring up the Wii. I've been thinking about that: cute little machine doing battle with a couple of behemoths. The little Wii isn't as savvy and doesn't have all the cool games and video that MS & Sony had, but still it became the number one "thingIgottahave" within a year. Soon the Xbox360 and Playstation 3 looked lumbering next to the lithe machine.

History repeating maybe?
    Global Posts
    111 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tomascco View Post
    Interesting that you would bring up the Wii. I've been thinking about that: cute little machine doing battle with a couple of behemoths. The little Wii isn't as savvy and doesn't have all the cool games and video that MS & Sony had, but still it became the number one "thingIgottahave" within a year. Soon the Xbox360 and Playstation 3 looked lumbering next to the lithe machine.

History repeating maybe?
    Anything can happen that is for sure.
    Sprint will not be ahead of the game if they can't meet supply for the demand, as competition increases in the upcoming days.
    I don't understand why anyone is hyping on supply and demand. Palm and Sprint are selling Pre's beyond initial expectations. Thus, it looks like Palm will be around and we'll have support and future device. Past that, why would we care. It doesn't matter who's on first or that there is competion.

There has always been competition. When the Pre was released, there was already competition and the intial Pre buyers knew that a new iPhone and a new Blackberry would be coming soon. Of course a new Blackberry is always coming (ha, ha).

In addition, AT&T and Verizon announced that they would be getting the Pre as soon as the exclusivity was over with Sprint. Yet Sprint still ended up with over 30% of the Pre owners being new customers. If the majority of the current Pre owners continue to like their device and praise it by word-of-mouth, competition doesn't matter.

I'm not going to buy a Porshe just because I have to wait a week to get my Jag and neither will people who have researced and decided on the Pre get an iPhone or new Blackberry, because they can't get instant gratification. Hopefully waiting for the device and doing futher research will cut down on some of the buyer's remorse that always happens with new, hip, devices.
    Global Posts
    358 Global Posts
    Same troll thread different day.
    It's silly for any company with a monthly subscription charge to not sell phones they could use to sign up new subscribers or use to increase peoples' monthly charges.
    Global Posts
    81 Global Posts
    Went into a Sprint store today to see the Pre firsthand. I will wait for Aug when I can get the discount as I would have to pay full price since I have had my Instinct for less than a year. The Sprint store employee's ignored me and my Wife as they didn't want to deal with us in the "Pre" section of the store. I am sure they are sold out.
    ˙soə ɹoɟ ƃuıʇıɐʍ ɹəllıʞ "ʇɔuıʇsuı" uɐ ʇuɐʍ ʇsnɾ ı ˙ɹəllıʞ "əuoɥdı" uɐ əq oʇ "ēɹd" ɹoɟ ƃuıʞool ʇou
    I have had no problems finding pre's in my areas. But I am sure that will change with increased demand.