View Poll Results: How does your Pre signal quality compare to your previous Sprint phone?

Voters
343. You may not vote on this poll
  • Consistently Much Better

30 8.75%
  • Occasionally Much Better

34 9.91%
  • The Same

76 22.16%
  • Occasionally Much Worse

83 24.20%
  • Consistently Much Worse

120 34.99%
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    mickdaddy999 had a good idea to poll the Sprint user that upgraded to the Pre to see if the signal quality changed. I have created an actual poll to see if we find any major trends.
    Global Posts
    83 Global Posts
    I had a 700p before with great reception at home and usually good reception at work. Now with the Pre I get decent reception at home (2-3 bars) and bipolar reception at work (5 bars+EV at times, 1 bar+1x or no bars at times). Weird.
    Had a BB Curve with awesome reception. Now it blows
    I think its safe to assume we have a reception bug. .
    I understand the signal quality can be improved thru software updates? True?
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    I think its safe to assume we have a reception bug. .
    A bug or weak radio/antenna?
    Quote Originally Posted by mickdaddy999 View Post
    I understand the signal quality can be improved thru software updates? True?
    Only if the problem is software related....
    Same for me vs. my Touch Pro. I am in a "Good" area according to Sprint's map. The Pre seems to act the same as far as bars - fluctuates from 2-5 - just as the Touch Pro did. I have not missed a call yet and occasionally I did with the TP.
    It's not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent, but the one most responsive to change” - Darwin
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by martinp13 View Post
    I had a 700p before with great reception at home and usually good reception at work. Now with the Pre I get decent reception at home (2-3 bars) and bipolar reception at work (5 bars+EV at times, 1 bar+1x or no bars at times). Weird.
    Hehe, "bipolar reception".

I, too, upgraded from a 700p that had great reception. Now, I am lucky if I can make (or receive) a call at home, even with roaming enabled. If I reset the phone, it does seem to do better and connect (for a while, at least). I am sure Palm and Sprint do not expect me to reset the phone before making or receiving a call (I'm not psychic). I realize some people are installing the Airave, but this does me no good unless I am home. I have a cell phone so I can use it away from home.
    No problem with signal here. Full bars at home and at work.
    Quote Originally Posted by sake View Post
    Only if the problem is software related....
    With modern cell phones, there is very little that isn't software/firmware fixable. Except for the antenna, probably all the rest of the radio is done on a chip and can be modified somewhat.
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
    Global Posts
    177 Global Posts
    signal quality much worse than my 4.5 yr old 650

BUT, data speeds much much faster
    I had a brand new touch pro prior to this phone and the reception is way way better. So is data transfer
    It shows up very sporadic on the "bars" meter but I have yet to miss any calls and it is much better about hopping over to roaming when necessary than my Touch Pro was. I don't much trust the bars since they are a vague approximation of a few different variables. What I trust is call quality and dropped calls and so far I've not had any issues in practice.
    Quote Originally Posted by martinp13 View Post
    I also came from a 700p.

My reception is slightly better (not sure why that's not a choice in the survey). I get the same reception at home and at work.

However, there are a few notorious spots where my 700p would routinely drop calls. The pre does not. And generally, it does not drop calls unexpectedly with the same frequency that the 700p did.

From what I've seen from friends and family with sprint - this is a systemic problem with sprint.
    Mine is actually better. My previous phone was a Samsung a900.
    I've noticed, for me, the bar signal meter is typically lower than my BB Curve, but in terms of actual dropped calls, etc... no problems at all.
    I also came from an a900, but mine is much worse on the pre.
    Global Posts
    252 Global Posts
    My Centro would not roam in my house. The Pre always roams. either way reception in my house stinks.
    Marty
    Handspring Visor -> Handspring Treo 180 That stated it would have Wi-Fi -> Treo 600 -> Treo 650->Treo 700P ->Centro->Pre
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast