View Poll Results: How does your Pre signal quality compare to your previous Sprint phone?

Voters
343. You may not vote on this poll
  • Consistently Much Better

30 8.75%
  • Occasionally Much Better

34 9.91%
  • The Same

76 22.16%
  • Occasionally Much Worse

83 24.20%
  • Consistently Much Worse

120 34.99%
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Global Posts
    780 Global Posts
    There are spots in my house where the phone does not work at all. I used to be able to be in the basement of my house browsing the internet and making call with no problem on my 755p but there is no signal at all with the Pre.
  2.    #42  
    I wonder if anyone with poor or erratic reception has tried changing the network setting to "Sprint Only"?
    Global Posts
    1,113 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by chodaboy View Post
    I wonder if anyone with poor or erratic reception has tried changing the network setting to "Sprint Only"?
    yes, every combination of sprint, automatic, data roaming, etc.
    Moved from a 755p, which had much better reception both at home and on the road. Recently got the Airave which solved the problem at home, but am still experiencing dropped calls while away. There seems to have been some improvement in the month since getting the phone, ie, not as many dropped calls - but the 755p never dropped them so this is a step in the wrong direction. I am hoping for improved software/firmware to help since I decided to stick with the Pre...
    Global Posts
    32 Global Posts
    reception has been a concern for me as well. Called sprint and they sent me an Airave FOC.
    Global Posts
    780 Global Posts
    I called Palm tech support on the signal issue this morning and got to a level 2 tech. They acknowledged many reports of low signal problems and said it is a firmware issue rather than hardware. I was told that Palm is working on a fix for the next OS update. No ETA for the next update.
    Global Posts
    53 Global Posts
    I got the Pre on launch day. The first couple of days were shoddy, but now it seems I have a pretty consistent strong signal day in and day out.
  8.    #48  
    Quote Originally Posted by eharty View Post
    I called Palm tech support on the signal issue this morning and got to a level 2 tech. They acknowledged many reports of low signal problems and said it is a firmware issue rather than hardware. I was told that Palm is working on a fix for the next OS update. No ETA for the next update.
    I sure hope they told you the truth!
    Global Posts
    780 Global Posts
    I sure hope they told you the truth!
    I hear ya! Mine will go back for sure if it won't work reliably as a phone!

Palm has to know that they would have a public relations nightmare if they did not act on the more serious issues quickly and make things right for those who already bought Pres.
    My Singal is fine at the house, its when I leave it stinks, lol . I am about 20 minutes from downtown atlanta and I work between there and where I live and its well within the sprint area . I didnt read all the post but I'm I the only one that gets an X on my singal bars ? No R for roaming Just an X, I do get R or 1x for data but a lot of the times I get an X. I have also tried combination of sprint, automatic, data roaming, etc. I miss alot of calls, it goes stright to voice mail and this is my 2nd pre not just becasue of the singal issue but it was the same on that one as we'll.
    Mine was the same. Came from a Centro.
    I reported here before that there was no statistically significant difference in RSSI values between my 755 and Pre. Just to add another observation. There is a lab at work that my phone calls with the 755 was hit or miss - drops 50% of the time. Today I made three calls in the same lab averaging 10 min each - not one drop. I was definitely surprised.
    Palm III > Palm V > Palm Vx > (Sprint) Kyo 6035 > Handspring Treo 300
    > Handspring Treo 600 Oct.'03 > Palm Treo 700P May'06 > Treo 755P Aug.'07 > Pre(-) June'09 + TouchPad July'11 LONG LIVE webOS!!!
    Far worse than the Centro, though I've found it has improved since launch.
    I came from a Treo 700p. I live/travel mostly in areas where Sprint has strong coverage. I never saw roaming in 3 years of owning the 700p, and now I see roaming probably a few times a day. A perfect example is when i take the bus in the morning. The bus station is underground. I usually get EVDO signal on my treo, but with the pre, it jumps back and forth among EVDO and 1x and eventually to R
    well I honestly have to say this is the best reception I've had with sprint. Especially in terms of lost calls. I even get better data and gps signal. My previous phones were the ic902 (worst phone I EVER had!) and instinct which sometimes didn't even receive calls. That being said its likely that I have just had crapy phones hell when everyone said evdo was fast I found that hard to believe as it was not much faster than nextels old data in my experience. When I got the pre it was hard to distinguish the diference between wifi and evdo! My gps on my instinct always lost map connection (maps stopped showing up after a while in alot of locations) and it would get stuck and take FOREVER to reroute. Now it rivals our dedivated gps! As for phone calls no dropped calls, and while reception does fluctuate, its the best I've had! Anyone else have this device have the best signals and reception? I'm guessing the other palm phones had good reception? Oh and is it sad this phones battery lasts twice as long as my ic902 did?

How do you change the setting? I looked, but could not find the option to change to Sprint only. I'm experiencing more dropped calls and poor signal strength in my home...reception is also considerable worse at my job where it was already not too good.
    Go to the Phone app, then click on the Sprint menu in the top left corner. This will open the Preferences app. Scroll down to the Network section. There, you'll see Voice Network and Data Roaming settings. Voice Network is where you specify whether or not you want it to be Automatic or Sprint Only.

Quote Originally Posted by Jersey Girl View Post
    How do you change the setting? I looked, but could not find the option to change to Sprint only. I'm experiencing more dropped calls and poor signal strength in my home...reception is also considerable worse at my job where it was already not too good.
    I had a 755p and I never dropped any calls at home or work. Now with the Pre I can't get any calls at work and at home I can't talk for more than a minute before dropping a call. Now this is really pissing me off and even worst the fact that Palm or Sprint haven't acknowledge it and stated that they are working on a fix.
    Quote Originally Posted by un_designer View Post
    Go to the Phone app, then click on the Sprint menu in the top left corner. This will open the Preferences app. Scroll down to the Network section. There, you'll see Voice Network and Data Roaming settings. Voice Network is where you specify whether or not you want it to be Automatic or Sprint Only.
    Wow...you just made my day! Do you know how much faster my phone is just from changing that setting to Sprint only? I was a little bummed about how slow my phone would render web pages and couldn't quite understand how the demo showed Pre so close to iPhone speed when my phone was slow as molasses. But, I figured it had something to with my location and kept hoping another update would help. But, I guess I the setting was the problem all this time. Thanks again!!
    Had 755p and at home had weak signal, but rarely dropped calls, and consistantly had 3G data. Pre rarely has acceptable signal, but improved a bit with 1.03, and never was able to use 3G (but have super WiFi, so OK). I now have an Airave and situation in the house is solved. Sprint is trying.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast