Global Posts
    55 Global Posts
    Hello all. I don't have a Pre yet, but am looking forward to getting one when new shipments come in. However, I do have a question for those who may know:

Is the app catalog the only way to get apps, or will ther be apps that are installed the same way as "yesteryear" (copied to the device on Windows or MacOS file manager, then ran on the device to install)?

I understand the WinMo .CAB and the PalmOS .prc methods of installing. Does the Pre have anything like this?

If everything goes through the App Catalog, does this mean Palm will (like Apple) review all apps before putting it in the App Catalog?
    Palm has said, though I've yet to see any examples and don't know precisely how it will work, that there will be sideloading of applications. So you should be able to run applications that you didn't get from the app store. Some of the hackers are doing this now, but they have to reboot currently, which is kind of a drag.
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
    Global Posts
    55 Global Posts
    That's good news. One of the reason why I like the PalmOS (and to some extent, the WinMo) is the open nature of the platform. I was slightly afraid when I heard about the App Catalog.

While the iPhone App Store is nice (I use it, and never had to Jailbreak my Touch for apps not available there), there are some applications that simply the carrier and the phone manufacturer do not want to exist. To me, that kind of psuedo authority is scary.
    Global Posts
    48 Global Posts
    1. Hey! Welcome to the forums!
    2. Your topic has actually been addressed already. It's best do to a search for an existing thread to post in instead of starting a new thread.
    3. [Report the thread so a mod can merge it]
    4. Here's the thread for your topic:

http://forums.precentral.net/webos-a...p-catalog.html