Global Posts
    19 Global Posts
    So far the only two WiFi networks I let my Pre on are my home network (WPA2) and work (currently WEP was set up before I was hired, but I will be getting to upgrading that soon.)

Now in Philly we have the “WirelessPhiladelphia” SSID that is just this open unsecured network. Usually I only use it when I’m in a jam and I can VPN into a more secure network.

Anyway everyone keeps saying leave the WiFi on it’s better for the battery life, but I don’t feel very comfortable with that option.

Anyone have any thoughts on that or links to articles listing the security risks of the Pre on unsecured WiFi?
    Quote Originally Posted by langenoir View Post
    So far the only two WiFi networks I let my Pre on are my home network (WPA2) and work (currently WEP was set up before I was hired, but I will be getting to upgrading that soon.)

Now in Philly we have the “WirelessPhiladelphia” SSID that is just this open unsecured network. Usually I only use it when I’m in a jam and I can VPN into a more secure network.

Anyway everyone keeps saying leave the WiFi on it’s better for the battery life, but I don’t feel very comfortable with that option.

Anyone have any thoughts on that or links to articles listing the security risks of the Pre on unsecured WiFi?
    I"m pretty sure if you have NOT rooted your phone and enabled telnet with default passwrd (nothing) you should be ok.. again with something like snort/wireshark your normal web browsing can be "seen" but i wouldn't worry to much if just putzing around google and normal sites
    Global Posts
    19 Global Posts
    I'm not to worried about google maps or youtube, but more the already connected yahoo/gmail accounts, myspace, facebook, or anywhere else I have a login.
    wait! what? wifi on is better for the battery?
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
    Quote Originally Posted by Felipe View Post
    wait! what? wifi on is better for the battery?
    If you can send data across wifi, it should be a better option because it requires lower power. The wifi chipset on the Pre should be pretty low-power.

Personally, I leave wifi on all the time and have been getting great battery results.
    Quote Originally Posted by jasonaward View Post
    If you can send data across wifi, it should be a better option because it requires lower power. The wifi chipset on the Pre should be pretty low-power.

Personally, I leave wifi on all the time and have been getting great battery results.

good to know.

thanks.
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
    Global Posts
    19 Global Posts
    hurm
    Global Posts
    4 Global Posts
    I would be cautious until ssl is released for connections to mail, facebook, etc.....
    Global Posts
    479 Global Posts
    Looks like gmail already supports SSL, and normal facebook doesn't supply SSL, so there's no real difference between using your phone vs using a laptop.
    plus you phone does not use wifi unless its awake and you have set it up to connect to that network. so leaving it on while you are in those areas is ok you just need to be carfull when you are using your phone there.
    Good question. I wonder how the Pre handles SSL certs. Depending on how, its very possible to be man-in-the-middled and handed a fake cert. Hell, if someone's really out there to get you, they might even use a signed cert.
    I wouldn't use a non-secure WiFi signal to access anything that I have to type information into (including something as trivial as Facebook). You're better leaving it in EVDO mode.
    Does anybody know if Encrypted tunnels are available for us on pre....something along the lines of SSH or cygwin/putty type encrypted clients over wifi? i would wonder also if one could run nmap or wireshark/ethereal on the pre just for fun. new bluetooth hacking tools are set to be released soon (august @ defcon) so keep it off if not in use
    my post was directed more towards SFTP (ftp+ssh) or FTPS (ftp+ssL) obviously id prefer the first but if you have to access files over a secure connection. and you can enable fowarding of the GUI (x11 in linux) then that would be a best bet option for surfing securely over unencrypted wifi and after that no one could see past your tunnel.
    If you use SSL (https:) open WIFI is just as safe as anything else. Remember that the internet is a public network anyway.