View Poll Results: How many apps can you open before you hit the memory wall?

Voters
18. You may not vote on this poll
  • 4 or less

0 0%

3 16.67%

0 0%

1 5.56%

0 0%

0 0%
  • 10 or more

14 77.78%
  1.    #1  
    I was able to load four...before my Pre told me to shut down some of them when I tapped to open a 5th

1. Google Maps...open
    2. Email...open
    3. Web (Wall Street Journal)...open
    4. Memo...open

5. PocketMirror...failed to open

How about you?

Lawrence
    Quote Originally Posted by Skysurfer View Post
    I was able to load four...before my Pre told me to shut down some of them when I tapped to open a 5th

1. Google Maps...open
    2. Email...open
    3. Web (Wall Street Journal)...open
    4. Memo...open

5. PocketMirror...failed to open

How about you?

Lawrence
    It's not that easy. It all depends on what apps you have open. i.e. the memory footprint of an app varies on what you're doing with it or loading in it. If I load a static HTML page in the browser, I'll almost be willing to gurantee you could load maybe 10 browser cards with that page alone. But if, like me, you load an intensive javascript site like Google Reader it will take up way more memory and thus can't load as many cards.

I don't believe in your situation email or memo are taking up much memory. Most likely the culprit is maps or web or some app you loaded before that had a memory leak.

To give you an example, all of yesterday I had these cards open with no issues at all...and I was still able to open additional cards as needed (new emails, browser, etc)

Phone, Calendar, Email, Web (Google Reader), Messaging, Pandora, Music Player.
    "There are 10 types of people in the world, those that understand binary and those that don't"
    Global Posts
    142 Global Posts
    I currently am running calculator, Sprint Navi, App Catalog, Accuweather, photos, contacts, Email, Evernote (and I'm counting the +1 card for an open note), Calendar, and Messaging.

I don't usually have 11 cards open, but it still hasn't given me an error message. I have gotten an error message with about 4 cards open. I think I was using Pandora, and that app has leaks or something.
    The browser has a pretty bad memory leak (or 10). If you do anything with it at all, it will gobble up all the memory after a while. I've run into the memory issue with just the browser looking at just m.precentral.net with only 1 card. Doing very much on the full facebook page will also kill it.
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
    depends on the apps, I try not to push past 7 i mean i never REALLY need 7 open most i will REALLY be using is 3 at a time, email web and a text sometimes when sending my stores 3pm and closing nums i have caculator open too
    Quote Originally Posted by caj27 View Post
    I currently am running calculator, Sprint Navi, App Catalog, Accuweather, photos, contacts, Email, Evernote (and I'm counting the +1 card for an open note), Calendar, and Messaging.

I don't usually have 11 cards open, but it still hasn't given me an error message. I have gotten an error message with about 4 cards open. I think I was using Pandora, and that app has leaks or something.
    Yeah I used Pandora this morning for a long time and I ended up with the error with just Pandora and a browser, closed the browser and still had the error with JUST Pandora open. I think Pandora must have a pretty bad memory leak.
    "There are 10 types of people in the world, those that understand binary and those that don't"
    When I first got the phone I opened up 10 before the error message came up. Then I turn the phone off and on again and was able to open up 13 and didn't get any error message, I just stopped there for the hell of it. But under normal usage I only use about 5 at one time anyway.
    Global Posts
    815 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jbg7474 View Post
    The browser has a pretty bad memory leak (or 10). If you do anything with it at all, it will gobble up all the memory after a while. I've run into the memory issue with just the browser looking at just m.precentral.net with only 1 card. Doing very much on the full facebook page will also kill it.
    same here. usually whatever I try to open after the full facebook site, I tend to get an error message.
    After a reboot I can get like 10-15 open. During normal use it's more like 8 or so.
    I've gotten more than 20 open, if you count multiple instances of the web browser as different cards. I think they count- they're their own process in the OS I believe. But I also had Contacts, Email, Messaging, etc open. I think I got to as many as 22.
  11. d94
    Global Posts
    304 Global Posts
    i got up to 21
    palm pro > visor > m100 > visor prism > clie sl30 > zire 71 > dell X5 > toshiba E755 > clie NX70 > ipaq 2200 > Treo 700w (verizon) > Treo 700wx (sprint) > Treo 755p (sprint) > HTC Mogul > HTC Diamond > HTC Touch Pro > Pre
    I was able to open 15 cards before getting the message.

Google Maps, Mail , Google Reader(Web), Memos, App Catalog, Device Info, Tweed, Amazon MP3, MCraig, Photos, Calendar, Phone, Clock, Tasks, Accuweather.

I honestly only keep maybe 3-4 open at a time.
    Sometimes the thing maxes out at 3-4 though... it's weird.

The memory management on the Pre obviously has room for vast improvement.
    Just got 12 and I haven't rebooted my phone in like 5 days.