Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I had iPhone 2G since it launched in June 2007 and then subsequently got an iPhone 3G last year. While they are both amazing devices (esp the 2G because for its time it was pretty amazing) I have to say I'm extremely impressed with the Pre, more so than I was with the iPhone (2G or 3G). Some quick bullets as to why for other people who have iPhones and are thinking of trying the Pre.

- Notifications: The single best feature of webOS. They're unobtrusive, easy to manage and very well executed. It makes it a joy to use apps without having an annoying big blue dialog box pop up everytime there's a text or push notification (I've been testing OS 3.0 on iPhone). Or worse on iPhone, if you get an email all you see is a badge with a number (if you have multiple mail accounts) you don't even know which one. etc. By far, I think notifications are my favorite feature on Pre vs iPhone

- Multitasking: I use Blackberry for work and have used them for about 7 years. I also have used Windows Mobile in the past (prior to iPhone). I missed multitasking more than perhaps other people while I had iPhone. Although multitasking does have its problems it's no different to me than using my PC/laptop. You have a constrained set of resources you have to manage the apps in except with Pre you manage it, with iPhone Apple manages it. I'm a techy guy so I love being able to multitask and decide what I want running or not. Being able to listen to Pandora in the background while I do 5 different things is only possible on Pre and not iPhone (never will be either).

- UI: I think the webOS UI is far superior to the iPhone. It feels more natural and intuitive once you accept the deck of cards approach. Also being able to bring up the launcher in any app is great and being able to fast switch between apps without zooming out is even better. The fonts are very easy to read, the color scheme is nice and neutral and overall it feels like a 2009 OS. I've yet to find an area of the OS that doesn't feel like it's polished. When I go back to the iPhone with the big colorful icons, it really does remind me of a fisherprice toy.

- Browser: Although the 3GS will probably compete head to head with the Pre, currently the Pre browser is much faster than my iPhone 3G (even with both on WiFi). This is probably due to Pre's faster processor. It loads everything fast and is relatively stable for a 1.0 release. Here's hoping they keep improving it.

- Physical keyboard: I type very fast on my iPhone 3G (more than I ever expected) but nothing, NOTHING can beat tactile feedback. Physical keys not only make it easier to type fast they develop muscle memory (similar to a PC keyboard) so you can easily type by touch without having to look at the keyboard. While this is possible with iPhone it's not as comfortable or reliable. I can type pretty fast on the Pre and most importantly it doesn't obstruct the screen when I type which is great too.

-Size and feel of device: It feels better in my hand than the iPhone, it's smaller and nicer looking in my opinion. I also love the rubberized feel of the touchstone back cover

- Touchstone is a great dock: Very versatile and the fact it leaves the clock on screen is a great feature since you can see the time as well as notifications as they come in without having to touch the device. Mine also seems to charge the Pre very fast!

- Compatibility: One of the most impressive things I've seen with the Pre is how it works with everything out of the box so well. I have a 2009 Audi A4 with bluetooth and the Pre worked flawlessly with it, transferring phonebook/missed/received/dialed calls. Crystal clear audio to the car and no issues at all. I also used my Shure e110k headset with inline mic/button and that too worked great with Pre being able to pause and skip music using button clicks. My Moto H710 headset also worked really well with Pre without any issues at all. This to me is extremely impressive for a 1.0 device.

- USB drive/media sync: Being able to sync with iTunes is huge for me since I manage all my music (all DRM free btw, thanks Amazon and Doubletwist) using that and it synced as any iPod would including audio/video podcasts. Being able to use it as a usb drive is very nice to have so you can drop files, documents, photos and access them wherever. Not available on iPhone without paying for a piece of software.

I could go on and on but at the end of the day the Pre with 1.02 feels like my iPhone 3G does with OS 3.0. That's saying a lot since that's 2 years of development on iPhone vs at launch on Pre.

I think my major issues right now is the battery life/signal strength which I strongly believe are tied and can be fixed with a software update. If Palm can fix the battery life/signal strength issues within the next 2-3 weeks I'll be porting my AT&T number over and selling my iPhone 3G. Let's hope they don't fail me and force me to return the Pre!

"There are 10 types of people in the world, those that understand binary and those that don't"
    Global Posts
    727 Global Posts
    Glad you likey.

Yes, can't wait for the updates here too. Broke contract with my VZW Storm in good faith that Palm will fill in the missing pieces.
    Nice writeup, thanks, OP.
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
    Excellent writeup on the comparison between the Iphone 3G and the Pre.

I really like the device as well except for the fact that I dropped 6 calls in a row and have fluctuating signal.

I really hope Sprint/Palm fix the signal and battery issue because I want to keep my Pre and ditch my BB.
    Global Posts
    137 Global Posts
    mobilehavoc -- I'm asking you since you seem to have experience with both platforms.

As with lots of other people here, since this phone is brand new, I am using the next couple weeks to "test drive" the Pre. I was planning on getting an iPhone but I decided to broaden my horizon and test the Pre while the 3G-S is pending release.

The multitasking nature of the device and the cheaper rate plans of Sprint is what primarily brought me to the Pre. The multitasking is great, however when I am using the IM client I have noticed that some of my calls drop into voicemail instead of ringing the phone. People have said -- don't use the IM client if you want to receive calls. That doesn't exactly "work" as an answer. I have been told that the iPhone can better handle data & voice and while the iPhone can't multitask data -- it can appropriately receive a call if you are logged into your IM client.

The scenario where I would be want to multitask including the IM client is say when I am sitting in a waiting room waiting for 30 minutes for something. This is the prime time when having a device where I could read some webpages and at the same time chat with some friends on IM would be nice. But I don't want to miss calls at the same time. With the iPhone I couldn't simultaneously read a webpage and stay logged into the IM client. With the Pre I could do the above but I also might miss a call. If I turned off the IM client then the Pre would essentually behave identically to the iPhone.

I will highlight one thing that I do love about the Pre -- the email client. If you have 3 unread messages in three different gmail accounts -- its like 12 or more clicks to read all three messages on the iPhone, while the "All Inboxes" feature of the Pre makes this task very easy.
    I am a true fan of Sprint and Palm...............but.................no attack intended of those posting here.................................The only time I see "good write up" is when a person is complimenting the favorite phone.......................If the OP had written up a well thought out review bashing the phone.......................He would be called an iPhone fanboy..............Again no direct attack on anyone, just an observation.

As far as I know, the bashers see a good write up and don't comment, then if there is a "fanboy" they come out of the woodwork like hungry roaches.
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by Delta-9 View Post
    mobilehavoc -- I'm asking you since you seem to have experience with both platforms.

As with lots of other people here, since this phone is brand new, I am using the next couple weeks to "test drive" the Pre. I was planning on getting an iPhone but I decided to broaden my horizon and test the Pre while the 3G-S is pending release.

The multitasking nature of the device and the cheaper rate plans of Sprint is what primarily brought me to the Pre. The multitasking is great, however when I am using the IM client I have noticed that some of my calls drop into voicemail instead of ringing the phone. People have said -- don't use the IM client if you want to receive calls. That doesn't exactly "work" as an answer. I have been told that the iPhone can better handle data & voice and while the iPhone can't multitask data -- it can appropriately receive a call if you are logged into your IM client.

The scenario where I would be want to multitask including the IM client is say when I am sitting in a waiting room waiting for 30 minutes for something. This is the prime time when having a device where I could read some webpages and at the same time chat with some friends on IM would be nice. But I don't want to miss calls at the same time. With the iPhone I couldn't simultaneously read a webpage and stay logged into the IM client. With the Pre I could do the above but I also might miss a call. If I turned off the IM client then the Pre would essentually behave identically to the iPhone.

I will highlight one thing that I do love about the Pre -- the email client. If you have 3 unread messages in three different gmail accounts -- its like 12 or more clicks to read all three messages on the iPhone, while the "All Inboxes" feature of the Pre makes this task very easy.
    It's not the Pre per se but the way it handles IMs. The IM app built into the Pre uses text messages to send/receive messages NOT data. So what happens is when you are sending/receiving messages the phone drops to 1XRTT mode (since it doesn't use data) and during this time incoming calls won't come through. This is timing so it will only happen if someone calls the instant you are sending/receiving a message.

There's nothing stopping AOL, Google or other companies releasing a chat client that uses data which will work like the iPhone.

Hope that makes sense.
    "There are 10 types of people in the world, those that understand binary and those that don't"
    Global Posts
    73 Global Posts
    I have to say, that you echo my thoughts.

I too came from an iPhone 3G to the Pre (mainly because of dropped calls), but I'm so much happier with the UI of the Pre and the way it works overall. In a nutshell, the Pre feels like a grown-up phone, while the iPhone feels like a toy.

I didn't know how poor the iPhone UI was until I got my hands on a Pre.
    Global Posts
    136 Global Posts
    Not so sure I totally agree. Obviously, this is a site for people who go Pre's and posts like this are always more well received. What I have issues with are people that post every other day that they are returning the phone because it doesn't do some feature that we already knew it didn't have (like video recording, or PIN on EAS).
    I pretty much agree although the first 3 reasons are the most compelling. And i also agree with your major issue at the end.
    Global Posts
    137 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mobilehavoc View Post
    It's not the Pre per se but the way it handles IMs. The IM app built into the Pre uses text messages to send/receive messages NOT data. So what happens is when you are sending/receiving messages the phone drops to 1XRTT mode (since it doesn't use data) and during this time incoming calls won't come through. This is timing so it will only happen if someone calls the instant you are sending/receiving a message.
    That does make sense, how does the online / offline status of your buddies get transmitted to the Pre? If you have a good number of contacts does each time they sign on / sign off also force the phone into that same 1xRTT mode and thus block incoming calls?

I am giving the Pre a fair chance and want to understand this aspect fully. I have an iPod touch at home, so I know how the interface on the iPhone will work, I just dont have the phone portion ... so I don't have experience with incoming calls while I am running the apps. I do fully appreciate the UI on both devices, they each have their pluses and minuses.
  12.    #12  
    With the iPhone 3G as long as you're in a 3G coverage area you can do voice/data. If you're in an EDGE coverage area you get either voice or data but not both at same time.

Pre messaging uses text messages which can't go over EVDO (fast data only network) and have to use the slower (1XRTT) network. During the few seconds or less it's sending/receiving the texts you can't get calls. It's rare you'd miss a lot of calls this way IMHO. Again this is just the built in app, they may release one later that uses data.

When you sign off/on, it does so using text messages. The system sends your Pre a text message with who's signed on, etc. The MAIN advantage of using text messages for IM vs data is it is much better for battery life. If you have a data connection it kills your battery life to keep the thing open and transfer messages. Text messages don't eat up battery that much and are more reliable (you can IM even if you didn't have data for example).
    Using both devices on a daily basis I actually think the UI of both devices is kind of similar. When you on the launcher screens of the Pre its very much like the launcher screen of the iPhone just far prettier. Of course the iPhone doesn't have the cards screen.

Also, I find I dont miss the Pre multitasking that much when I'm using the iPhone (I'm running the 3.0 os beta). I admit I'm not a big Pandora user. I know plenty of people here will say I am wrong, but I think for things like IM, push notifications is better. IM on my PRE kills the battery. I got to beta the AOL IM push on the iPhone and liked it very much.

Notifications are obviously better on the Pre, but I'm not sure anybody is purchasing a phone because of its notifications.
    Last edited by mobileman; 06/17/2009 at 11:44 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by bigbad614 View Post
    I am a true fan of Sprint and Palm...............but.................no attack intended of those posting here.................................The only time I see "good write up" is when a person is complimenting the favorite phone.......................If the OP had written up a well thought out review bashing the phone.......................He would be called an iPhone fanboy..............Again no direct attack on anyone, just an observation.

As far as I know, the bashers see a good write up and don't comment, then if there is a "fanboy" they come out of the woodwork like hungry roaches.
    Look at the terminology you're using. Yes, he complimented the Pre, but he did not "bash" the iPhone. The "fanboy" complaints come when the users of other phones (there are some BBBoys out there too) just get on to bash the Pre.

In my opinion.
    nice write up.. i agree especially about the notifications
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    Look at the terminology you're using. Yes, he complimented the Pre, but he did not "bash" the iPhone. The "fanboy" complaints come when the users of other phones (there are some BBBoys out there too) just get on to bash the Pre.

In my opinion.
    My comment wasn't pointed at the OP or the others who have already posted.

I was just commenting that if the OP would have brought a different view--i.e. not liking the Pre--just as intelligently, he would have been attacked like she/he was a dead animal with starving lions around.

Again, it was not a comment towards anyone commenting here, it was the lack-there-of.
    Quote Originally Posted by mobileman View Post
    Using both devices on a daily basis I actually think the UI of both devices is kind of similar. When you on the launcher screens of the Pre its very much like the launcher screen of the iPhone just far prettier. Of course the iPhone doesn't have the cards screen.

Also, I find I dont miss the Pre multitasking that much when I'm using the iPhone (I'm running the 3.0 os beta). I admit I'm not a big Pandora user. I know plenty of people here will say I am wrong, but I think for things like IM, push notifications is better. IM on my PRE kills the battery. I got to beta the AOL IM push on the iPhone and liked it very much.

Notifications are obviously better on the Pre, but I'm not sure anybody is purchasing a phone because of its notifications.
    Using both too.

Funny thing about the UI, i use universal search whenever possible. I don't scroll launcher pages looking for an icon. I expect to do the same with Spotlight with the iphone.
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    Using both too.

Funny thing about the UI, i use universal search whenever possible. I don't scroll launcher pages looking for an icon. I expect to do the same with Spotlight with the iphone.
    yeah, I guess I need to train myself to use the universal search more, but I just find it easier to click on the icon, than to scroll to the universal search page and begin typing. On the Pre its easier because you can just start typing.
  19.    #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by mobileman View Post

This is only my personal opinion but I feel like the iPhone is PERFECT for non-techy people. My wife, sister, sister-law, mother, father all have one. Most came from Razrs or similar and couldn't care about multi-tasking, notifications, or even push email. For those people I would recommend the iPhone over the Pre.

For me, the Pre is the right balance of user friendliness while still maintaining some basic functionality that techy people or those who have had smartphones in the past (Treos, Blackberry, Windows Mobile,etc) are used to. For those folks, I would recommend the Pre over the iPhone.

It's important to note we NEED choices and having only 1 or even 2 good choices for a cell phone/platform is BAD for all of us.
    Good write up and I have had both too - just not at the same time as a few of you. Having WM before, the iPhone frustrated my with the lack of multitasking but that was only occasionally and everything else was pretty good. I find that I can adapt to just about anything pretty quickly and if ATT had a decent signal at my home (where I also work), I would not even be on this forum today as I would be an iPhone "fanboy"!

Got to say though, I am liking the Pre just fine - I am having no problems with mine and I can get through the day now on the existing battery.
    It's not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent, but the one most responsive to change” - Darwin
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast