Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Is everyone sure that the IM uses txt?

I just turned on airplane mode and the IM work over wifi, telling me its using data and not txt.
    Quote Originally Posted by Delta-9 View Post
    mobilehavoc -- I'm asking you since you seem to have experience with both platforms.

As with lots of other people here, since this phone is brand new, I am using the next couple weeks to "test drive" the Pre. I was planning on getting an iPhone but I decided to broaden my horizon and test the Pre while the 3G-S is pending release.

The multitasking nature of the device and the cheaper rate plans of Sprint is what primarily brought me to the Pre. The multitasking is great, however when I am using the IM client I have noticed that some of my calls drop into voicemail instead of ringing the phone. People have said -- don't use the IM client if you want to receive calls. That doesn't exactly "work" as an answer. I have been told that the iPhone can better handle data & voice and while the iPhone can't multitask data -- it can appropriately receive a call if you are logged into your IM client.

The scenario where I would be want to multitask including the IM client is say when I am sitting in a waiting room waiting for 30 minutes for something. This is the prime time when having a device where I could read some webpages and at the same time chat with some friends on IM would be nice. But I don't want to miss calls at the same time. With the iPhone I couldn't simultaneously read a webpage and stay logged into the IM client. With the Pre I could do the above but I also might miss a call. If I turned off the IM client then the Pre would essentually behave identically to the iPhone.

I will highlight one thing that I do love about the Pre -- the email client. If you have 3 unread messages in three different gmail accounts -- its like 12 or more clicks to read all three messages on the iPhone, while the "All Inboxes" feature of the Pre makes this task very easy.
    Quote Originally Posted by mobilehavoc View Post
    I had iPhone 2G since it launched in June 2007 and then subsequently got an iPhone 3G last year. While they are both amazing devices (esp the 2G because for its time it was pretty amazing) I have to say I'm extremely impressed with the Pre, more so than I was with the iPhone (2G or 3G). Some quick bullets as to why for other people who have iPhones and are thinking of trying the Pre.

- Notifications: The single best feature of webOS. They're unobtrusive, easy to manage and very well executed. It makes it a joy to use apps without having an annoying big blue dialog box pop up everytime there's a text or push notification (I've been testing OS 3.0 on iPhone). Or worse on iPhone, if you get an email all you see is a badge with a number (if you have multiple mail accounts) you don't even know which one. etc. By far, I think notifications are my favorite feature on Pre vs iPhone

- Multitasking: I use Blackberry for work and have used them for about 7 years. I also have used Windows Mobile in the past (prior to iPhone). I missed multitasking more than perhaps other people while I had iPhone. Although multitasking does have its problems it's no different to me than using my PC/laptop. You have a constrained set of resources you have to manage the apps in except with Pre you manage it, with iPhone Apple manages it. I'm a techy guy so I love being able to multitask and decide what I want running or not. Being able to listen to Pandora in the background while I do 5 different things is only possible on Pre and not iPhone (never will be either).

- UI: I think the webOS UI is far superior to the iPhone. It feels more natural and intuitive once you accept the deck of cards approach. Also being able to bring up the launcher in any app is great and being able to fast switch between apps without zooming out is even better. The fonts are very easy to read, the color scheme is nice and neutral and overall it feels like a 2009 OS. I've yet to find an area of the OS that doesn't feel like it's polished. When I go back to the iPhone with the big colorful icons, it really does remind me of a fisherprice toy.

- Browser: Although the 3GS will probably compete head to head with the Pre, currently the Pre browser is much faster than my iPhone 3G (even with both on WiFi). This is probably due to Pre's faster processor. It loads everything fast and is relatively stable for a 1.0 release. Here's hoping they keep improving it.

- Physical keyboard: I type very fast on my iPhone 3G (more than I ever expected) but nothing, NOTHING can beat tactile feedback. Physical keys not only make it easier to type fast they develop muscle memory (similar to a PC keyboard) so you can easily type by touch without having to look at the keyboard. While this is possible with iPhone it's not as comfortable or reliable. I can type pretty fast on the Pre and most importantly it doesn't obstruct the screen when I type which is great too.

-Size and feel of device: It feels better in my hand than the iPhone, it's smaller and nicer looking in my opinion. I also love the rubberized feel of the touchstone back cover

- Touchstone is a great dock: Very versatile and the fact it leaves the clock on screen is a great feature since you can see the time as well as notifications as they come in without having to touch the device. Mine also seems to charge the Pre very fast!

- Compatibility: One of the most impressive things I've seen with the Pre is how it works with everything out of the box so well. I have a 2009 Audi A4 with bluetooth and the Pre worked flawlessly with it, transferring phonebook/missed/received/dialed calls. Crystal clear audio to the car and no issues at all. I also used my Shure e110k headset with inline mic/button and that too worked great with Pre being able to pause and skip music using button clicks. My Moto H710 headset also worked really well with Pre without any issues at all. This to me is extremely impressive for a 1.0 device.

- USB drive/media sync: Being able to sync with iTunes is huge for me since I manage all my music (all DRM free btw, thanks Amazon and Doubletwist) using that and it synced as any iPod would including audio/video podcasts. Being able to use it as a usb drive is very nice to have so you can drop files, documents, photos and access them wherever. Not available on iPhone without paying for a piece of software.

I could go on and on but at the end of the day the Pre with 1.02 feels like my iPhone 3G does with OS 3.0. That's saying a lot since that's 2 years of development on iPhone vs at launch on Pre.

I think my major issues right now is the battery life/signal strength which I strongly believe are tied and can be fixed with a software update. If Palm can fix the battery life/signal strength issues within the next 2-3 weeks I'll be porting my AT&T number over and selling my iPhone 3G. Let's hope they don't fail me and force me to return the Pre!

Thanks for the reviews and thoughts.

Just so you know, some of the things you mention about the iPhone are out of date since they were corrected with the OS 3.0 this is now out (universal inbox etc).

I really hope to see some iphone - pre users do an assessment based upon the iphone OS 3.0 as it seems most of the iphone criticisms are out of date for the iPhone.
    What's that universal inbox you speak of in iPhone OS 3.0? I am using it now and do not see it.
  4.    #24  
    Quote Originally Posted by searchable View Post
    Thanks for the reviews and thoughts.

Just so you know, some of the things you mention about the iPhone are out of date since they were corrected with the OS 3.0 this is now out (universal inbox etc).

I really hope to see some iphone - pre users do an assessment based upon the iphone OS 3.0 as it seems most of the iphone criticisms are out of date for the iPhone.
    Hmmm...I thought in my post I made it clear. I AM assessing against iPhone OS 3.0. I've been using the beta of iPhone OS 3.0 since April! I've had the 3.0 that was released just today since last week. And yes, even comparing to iPhone OS 3.0, the Pre is far superior IMHO.
    "There are 10 types of people in the world, those that understand binary and those that don't"
    Quote Originally Posted by KoukiFC3S View Post
    Is everyone sure that the IM uses txt?

I just turned on airplane mode and the IM work over wifi, telling me its using data and not txt.
    it uses data.
    Quote Originally Posted by KoukiFC3S View Post
    What's that universal inbox you speak of in iPhone OS 3.0? I am using it now and do not see it.
    universal search, not inbox.
    Quote Originally Posted by mobilehavoc View Post
    This is only my personal opinion but I feel like the iPhone is PERFECT for non-techy people. My wife, sister, sister-law, mother, father all have one. Most came from Razrs or similar and couldn't care about multi-tasking, notifications, or even push email. For those people I would recommend the iPhone over the Pre.

For me, the Pre is the right balance of user friendliness while still maintaining some basic functionality that techy people or those who have had smartphones in the past (Treos, Blackberry, Windows Mobile,etc) are used to. For those folks, I would recommend the Pre over the iPhone.

It's important to note we NEED choices and having only 1 or even 2 good choices for a cell phone/platform is BAD for all of us.
    I guess its all personal opinion, because I am having a real hard time figuring out what I prefer to do on my Pre right now over my iPhone.

- My iPhone is a better PDA with Pocket Informant
    - I can get my corporate exchange mail on my iPhone now, cannot on the Pre
    - 14.5 gigs of video, podcasts, music and apps. Cant store all that on the Pre
    - My battery lasts longer on the iPhone.
    - MLB at bat (the greatest 3rd party app of all time) is not yet available on the Pre. I know its not Palm fault but I need this app.
    Looks like you're better off with your iPhone.
    Thanks for the write-up, I have been waffling between the 2 as my next phone
  10. dpc
    Global Posts
    439 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mobileman View Post

- My iPhone is a better PDA with Pocket Informant
    Oh man, I remember Pocket Informant from my Casio E-125 days. That was a good app.
    Quote Originally Posted by dpc View Post
    Oh man, I remember Pocket Informant from my Casio E-125 days. That was a good app.
    The developer has mentioned via twitter interest in developing for the Pre.
  12.    #32  
    I don't know why I just find it difficult everytime I go back to the iPhone. Yesterday I was using the iPhone 3G and a few times I did the backward swipe motion from the Pre and was confused when nothing happened!!
    "There are 10 types of people in the world, those that understand binary and those that don't"
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12