Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 31
  1.    #1  
    Lately I have become completely irritated at all the bickering I see on Engadget, Gizmodo, and other tech blogs regarding the iPhone vs. the Pre. Every single article about either phone inevitably has some comment referencing the other even if it is a complete non sequitur. Then you've got everyone in the comments section in a flame war about how the iPhone is better because it has intuitive gestures and a better apps. Then Palm people jump in and bash the iPhone for being outdated and having a clunky on-screen keyboard. Most of the time the articles are inflammatory at best, in an attempt to incite a comment war. The most recent example is from Engadget:

    VNC on the Palm Pre lets you look at your desktop from afar, but not touch it

    Everyone just needs to chill the hell out. The thing that pisses me off is the fact that people spout such vitriol in the other side's direction while completely missing the point that each device is good for the other. If the Pre never existed, the iPhone would probably not have received the spec bump it did in the 3Gs, and there is no denying the fact that the "Synergy" concept is a good one that Apple (and everyone else) will copy eventually. On the other side, the Pre would NOT exist in its current form if it were not for the iPhone and the fact that it popularized touchscreen smartphones, multiple apps, and taught a lot of people valuable lessons about QA, form factor preferences, etc.

    There is always room for at least 2 or 3 major platforms in this market. If we only had one platform there would not be a natural driving force to improve that one product. The Pre and iPhone competition is good for the marketplace and good for consumers, so everyone just shut up and stop bickering.

    /rant
  2. #2  
    You fail to realize that the people who post a lot of this fanboy crap are young kids especially since the iPhone is basically a commodity now, all kinds of people have it and post online. They are obviously blind to the rational of a competitive marketplace and how it spurs innovation, etc. etc.

    So basically, it's never going to end
    "There are 10 types of people in the world, those that understand binary and those that don't"
  3. #3  
    you don't have to read the comments (you know you want to, though).
  4. DNic's Avatar
    Posts
    570 Posts
    Global Posts
    599 Global Posts
    #4  
    I was just commenting about earlier how I can't really look at engadget anymore. So sick of seeing iphone fanboys posting negatively on pre topics.
    I'm sure it happens the other way around to, but I haven't seen it occur as much.
  5. #5  
    I agree as I think both phones are good and one is right for oen person and the other is right for someone else. Like everything else. We all like differnt cars. You like Xbox while I like PS3 and the other guy like the WII. Different strokes for different folks.
  6.    #6  
    Read the article. Obvious reference to the iPhone. Usually it's an explicit reference.
  7. #7  
    You're not going to stop it. The bloggers and media encourage this concept of a zero sum game between palm and apple. It's actually good for Palm that this keeps going.
  8. StefanP's Avatar
    Posts
    146 Posts
    Global Posts
    147 Global Posts
    #8  
    ofcourse, you are right, but you wasted your time writing this post. no fanboy will listen to you, because they are fanboys. they don't listen to rational arguments.

    now, that being said,


    iPhone sucks!! Pre FTW!! Woohoo!! FLAME WAAAAARR!!!
  9. #9  
    I just stopped reading the comments if the topic has to do with Windows/OSX/Linux or any major cell phone. Too many people look at their choice of tech as on par with their choice of religion.
  10. #10  
    I am mostly beyond caring. A lot of the appeal of both of these devices is their coolness and effectiveness as status symbols. With that comes superiority complexes and all sorts of other stupid fecal matter.

    I was recently hanging with a few friends, three of which had iPhones, and they keep them out and tinker with them often. When someone else at the gathering asked to see pictures of my son, I whipped out the Pre to show her. She asked how to navigate through the photo album, and I told her to just swipe...which prompted one of the iPhone guys to say "Wow...I wonder where they got that from." I ignored that, but later when someone else asked to look at my Pre, I gaver her a quick tour and quietly said "It's not as fancy as one of those (iPhones)"

    Same guy pipes up again.
    "Damn straight."

    I just chuckled to myself. People have too much of their identity invested in inanimate objects. I am an advocate for Pre because I do enjoy it, but iPhone (and many other devices) is also great, and people should just enjoy what works for them. When it comes to the rest...ehh, I'm quite satisfied with the size of my manhood.
  11. #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by Shane112358 View Post
    On the other side, the Pre would NOT exist in its current form if it were not for the iPhone and the fact that it popularized touchscreen smartphones, multiple apps, and taught a lot of people valuable lessons about QA, form factor preferences, etc.
    More importantly, Apple provided years of employment to the Pre development team.

    Referring to Pre fanboys as Palm fanboys is incorrect though. The Pre is a Palm device in name only. As for iPhone fanboys, I am not seeing that many of them on the forum. Of course anyone who doesn't love the Pre is branded an Apple fanboy but that doesn't mean they are.
  12. #12  
    My input on this is simple... Ask them this question...

    When the first version of Palm OS or Pocket PC came out did it have all the features it has today?

    How about the apple software version 1.0?

    The answer will always be NO!

    The Pre has a brand new operating system on it.. not an upgrade, not a new version, this software was built from the GROUND UP for this phone.

    For people to say things like, Oh the software support is just not there and the iphone has this feature and application is just biased....

    I'm not bashing the software on other phones but its safe to say that those OS'es have matured long enough to have all those features and applications to back them up.

    For these other users to complain and even review sites stating these negative statements was bound to happen, and has happened with all new devices/software, BUT its us loyal users of this brand spanking new OS that are truly going to make the difference. We will determine the ultimate Fate of Web-OS not palm.. not the bad reviews or negative press. Half the people who make those negative statements are stereo-typical anyways and are never going to change.

    So take it in stride and walk proud with your Pre, You are the future of the device... To all the developers and loyal users.. this is YOUR phone...
    <I accidentally the whole pre>

    <Palm Pre Speed Test>

  13. #13  
    Well. You said room for 2 or 3 platforms. Lets go with te latter...

    Winmo, iphone, symbian, webos?

    Which 3 were you talking about?

    You said Pre wouldn't exist if it weren't for the iphone. Well... Iphone wouldn't exist if it weren't for ipod king himself.

    Engadget is a very respected and well follpwed source of information. Comments have nothing to do with the site other than they are visible to see on their site. (not going into techno-legal jargon on that) however, each writer has their preference. John Biggs, an applefanboi has made some hard blast at Palm for their Prepre release. All I can say is, it won't go away, especially with services like twitter and the gadgets fanaticism by babyboomers spreading to the very young generation. Elementry school kids carry phones now. That's 12 and under.

    For the most part... In my google read, I glance & move on and most comments won't show up unless you pull the original. Everyone knows that some of the editors at Engadget are palm-believers.

    2 more things. 1. Opinions are like a-holes. Everyone has one and they all stink.
    R
    2. Welcome to the World Wide Web.
  14. gbp
    gbp is offline
    gbp's Avatar
    Posts
    2,506 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    I am mostly beyond caring. A lot of the appeal of both of these devices is their coolness and effectiveness as status symbols. With that comes superiority complexes and all sorts of other stupid fecal matter.

    I was recently hanging with a few friends, three of which had iPhones, and they keep them out and tinker with them often. When someone else at the gathering asked to see pictures of my son, I whipped out the Pre to show her. She asked how to navigate through the photo album, and I told her to just swipe...which prompted one of the iPhone guys to say "Wow...I wonder where they got that from." I ignored that, but later when someone else asked to look at my Pre, I gaver her a quick tour and quietly said "It's not as fancy as one of those (iPhones)"

    Same guy pipes up again.
    "Damn straight."

    I just chuckled to myself. People have too much of their identity invested in inanimate objects. I am an advocate for Pre because I do enjoy it, but iPhone (and many other devices) is also great, and people should just enjoy what works for them. When it comes to the rest...ehh, I'm quite satisfied with the size of my manhood.
    Couldn't agree with you more.
    After all its "A PHONE".
    I am surrounded by the iPhone fanbois.
    I keep the discussion in the limits.
  15. #15  
    It's not just the tech blogs. Pre-Central is getting just as bad. Post anything negative about the Pre, and you'll be bashed with posts ranging from "Mine works fine" and "take it back" to "You're an ***** for not understanding this is a version 1.0 device."
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
  16. IMethos's Avatar
    Posts
    487 Posts
    Global Posts
    497 Global Posts
    #16  
    Read the article and skip the comments.......
  17. nitussi's Avatar
    Posts
    34 Posts
    Global Posts
    38 Global Posts
    #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by meyerweb View Post
    It's not just the tech blogs. Pre-Central is getting just as bad. Post anything negative about the Pre, and you'll be bashed with posts ranging from "Mine works fine" and "take it back" to "You're an ***** for not understanding this is a version 1.0 device."
    If you pay $300 for something, give up your old sero plan for a way more expensive one, and sign up another 2 year contract ..Hell it better work right! All-in-all you are talking over a $3000 investment.
  18. #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by IMethos View Post
    Read the article and skip the comments.......
    Agreed.


    It was bound to happen, but it just shows that Palm has really hit a nerve (or a home run) when Apple fanboys need to attack the Pre every chance they get.
  19. #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by meyerweb View Post
    It's not just the tech blogs. Pre-Central is getting just as bad. Post anything negative about the Pre, and you'll be bashed with posts ranging from "Mine works fine" and "take it back" to "You're an ***** for not understanding this is a version 1.0 device."
    I can't speak for everyone else but I stress patience because it is in fact a 1.0 device. However if some one has qualms with the phone they are certainly entitled to air their problems and hopefully some one can trouble shoot it. Fan boys will always exist for all products you just have to take with a grain of salt.
    What good is a man if he can not change the world?
    Kingdom of Heaven
  20. #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by i700plus View Post
    The Pre has a brand new operating system on it.. not an upgrade, not a new version, this software was built from the GROUND UP for this phone.
    No it isn't. webOS is basically a limited flavor of embedded Linux. Linux has been around for years (I was running it 12 years ago). Apps are written in Javacript and HTML5. Javascript was developed by Netscape and has been around almost as long as the web. The HTML5 is being rendered by webkit which was written by Apple.
    Last edited by ADGrant; 06/17/2009 at 10:56 AM.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions