Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    I don't really hang out with people who feel a need to show off their phones..guess i'm too old. lol

But how cool is a $99 iphone anyways? Makes you wonder how long this will remain a status symbol as it becomes more mainstream. Besides, they still give off a stereotype as being childish.
    All these articles that compare the Pre's apps to the iPhone's really irritate me. Of course the iPhone has more apps, it' supported them for a year with a 6-month open SDK period before then. The Pre just barely came out, and the SDK hasn't been released yet, of course it doesn't have many apps yet. Seems like the press forgot that the iPhone had NO apps for a year when Apple was being stubborn about everyone using webapps...

Anyway, I'm actually an iPhone owner, for now at least, I haven't used it since June 6th. The iPhone is great at a few things, playing media, browsing the web-- as long as you don't want to do anything else. It's system for txt notifications and replies is extremely jarring, and ultimately the biggest weakness of the phone. The platform has strength, but I would say it makes a better iPod than a phone. The Pre is clearly a first gen device, and has about as much software as one would expect for a product that came out two weeks ago and doesn't have wide penetration yet. Despite that it's pretty good right now and will only get better.
    And I still play my original xbox. Ps2 sux!

:-)
    Global Posts
    38 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyPre View Post
    And I still play my original xbox. Ps2 sux!

:-)
    Ps3 sucks too!
  5. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ADGrant View Post
    No it doesn't. webOS is basically a limited flavor of embedded Linux. Linux has been around for years (I was running it 12 years ago). Apps are written in Javacript and HTML5. Javascript was developed by Netscape and has been around almost as long as the web. The HTML5 is being rendered by webkit which was written by Apple.
    And your point is ?
    WebOS is a ten year old OS ? since HTML is been around that time for sure.
  6. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by meyerweb View Post
    It's not just the tech blogs. Pre-Central is getting just as bad. Post anything negative about the Pre, and you'll be bashed with posts ranging from "Mine works fine" and "take it back" to "You're an ***** for not understanding this is a version 1.0 device."
    Finding faults is fine , but writing something like "PALM cheated me or SPRINT sucked me into this " is unwarranted.
    I love constructive criticism. It helps me to understand what any phone lacks.

Your observation is right , folks in the media lately have started writing one sided articles.

For the sake of the world , there are many phones out there that are far better and superior than the iPhone and Pre. No one cares to write about them.

check the phones

Sharp's solar 936SH and 934SH with "memory LCD" headline latest SoftBank lineup

Samsung Omnia II now official: AMOLED touchscreen with TouchWiz 2.0 destined for Verizon

Hitachi's Mobile Hi-Vision Cam Wooo cellphone does 720p video recording

Each one of these are better than iPhone and Pre in some features.

like cardfan said , the moment these phones become a commodity , the fanboyism will be gone.
    Quote Originally Posted by gbp View Post
    And your point is ?
    WebOS is a ten year old OS ? since HTML is been around that time for sure.
    Actually is more like 18 years old which is when the Linux project was started. Linux is essentially an open source version of Unix. That operating system first ran in 1970 on the DEC PDP-11/20. Apple's OS is also a clone of Unix and is based on NextStep which was first released in 1989.

The web part is much newer of course. Webkit has been around since 2002 when Apple forked the KDE HTML engine (1999).

So most of WebOS is open source code much of which has been around in some form for at least 10 years and some of which is based on a 30 year old operating system research project.

What's new in WebOS aside from the low level device drivers are the applications and the graphical shell (and the excellent application switcher).

My point is that i700plus 's claim that this is a brand new OS built from the ground up is absurd.
    Understood... What i meant is the phone software is brand new... not the underlying software running it... I worded that wrong and understand what you mean.

What i should have said was

The Web-OS itself is new and is just seeing the light of day.. it just hasent had any time to mature yet and this is expected..

sorry for any confusion...
    <I accidentally the whole pre>

<Palm Pre Speed Test>

Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    But how cool is a $99 iphone anyways? Makes you wonder how long this will remain a status symbol as it becomes more mainstream. Besides, they still give off a stereotype as being childish.
    I think you nailed that one. I remember a time when I would see a Treo, and pretty much know the user was either a high-tech user, or was in a family that had a high-tech user. Once the Centro came out at $99 (then subsequently, $50), that pretty much killed that.

Don't get me wrong, I was thrilled to see the Centro come out. I'm much more interested in my phone being more usable (and popularity brings about greater usability), but I did notice that my general assumptions changed as the price of PalmOS device went down.

I suspect that there will be many iPhone fans that abandon it because of the "cool factor" - unless Apple comes out with a more expensive device that is noticably different.
    Global Posts
    48 Global Posts
    Why don't you guys goto off-topic???

http://forums.precentral.net/off-topic/

Or the General Chat...???

http://forums.precentral.net/palm-general-chat/
    Quote Originally Posted by ADGrant View Post
    No it isn't. webOS is basically a limited flavor of embedded Linux. Linux has been around for years (I was running it 12 years ago). Apps are written in Javacript and HTML5. Javascript was developed by Netscape and has been around almost as long as the web. The HTML5 is being rendered by webkit which was written by Apple.
    Despite your naysaying, this is a new OS. Yes, it runs on Linux, and yes the WebOS uses long existant scripting languages. However, the strength of the apps are dependent on the calls to the hardware provided by WebOS. That is all new, and the SDK hasn't been widely released yet.

In addition, there have been indications that Palm will also have an SDK for select developers that give access to the kernal.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12