1.    #1  
    Has anyone been able to be Root linking through the USB cable??

I know you can do it via wifi and telnet into the pre. I was reading about the novaproxy that I thought would do it, but I can't seem to figure out how to use it.
    Global Posts
    36 Global Posts
    Yeah i did that....just run the python script after step 7 if your following the directions from the wiki. Then it will come up with a port that its listening on. You can then just telnet to that.
  3.    #3  
    Funkquito,

So you basically went into the Cprompt into your python folder and ran python from there?? When I do that I didn't see a port it was listening on, or maybe I missed it.
    This is the way I've been getting into my Pre. It skips the steps to allow direct connections (either telnet or ssh) and leaves the phone secure. It's arguably less flexible, but most of the changes described in the wiki can be done by logging in through USB and not "rooting" the phone.

Once developer mode is enabled, and the driver is installed on the PC, whenever you plug the phone in, there's a "Palm Novacom" device connected. You can see this if you click the "Safely Remove Hardware" icon in your tray.

Then, open a DOS window and run python and the novaproxy like this:

Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
    (C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

C:\>c:\Python26\python.exe novaproxy.py

Listening on localhost, port 8023.
    Then connect to localhost, port 8023 using putty in raw mode.
  5.    #5  
    That worked great, thanks guys
  6.    #6  
    Ok last question, what program do you guys use to edit in putty?? I tried using VI but I don't know if it's because I'm in raw mode but vi is not responding to the commands I'm used to using.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drifter518 View Post
    I tried using VI but I don't know if it's because I'm in raw mode but vi is not responding to the commands I'm used to using.
    I had this trouble the first time also. The fix for this is to force putty to turn off local line editing. In the putty configuration, go to "Terminal" and select "Force Off" for both of the line discipline options.

Then VI should work fine; it does for me.
  8.    #8  
    Ahh thank you derossi, I thought I was going nuts for a second there
    You're welcome. (And, yes, I'm trying to get my posts up past the magic 10 threshold .
  10.    #10  
    Ok now I hit the next snag, I can't change the mod of the file I want to edit I can't. Am I not really root if I'm on putty??
    Global Posts
    105 Global Posts
    Ok now I hit the next snag, I can't change the mod of the file I want to edit I can't. Am I not really root if I'm on putty??
    No, you're really root. The issue is that file system is mounted as read only. You need to temporarily mount it as read-write to make your changes:

mount -o remount,rw /

When you're done, you need to remount the file system as read only:

mount -o remount,ro /

Be sure to reboot your phone after making changes. Tread Lightly!
    WHEW!!!...Over my head....SDK....please appear!!!!...LOL

IGO
    GIVE DEBBIE THE CHIMP.....GIVE DEBBIE THE CHIMP!!!
    There's a convenient tool called rootfs_open that helps you do this in a nice way.

From the help:

Usage: rootfs_open [-w|-r|-h]
    Make rootfs writable or readable.
    -w make writable (default)
    -r make read-only and reboot
    -t make read-write until the next reboot, then revert to original mode
    -h|--help show this usage screen
    I have started using the "-w" and "-r" options because most of my changes require a reboot and the "-r" saves me the separate step of rebooting.
  14.    #14  
    Thank you, the change is in now I just need to check it out, only commented things out no removing things yet.
    root away my friends, root away!
    ( pre-wallpapers.com ) - Over 7000+ Wallpapers for your Palm Pre... Enjoy!
    Global Posts
    105 Global Posts
    Thank you, the change is in now I just need to check it out, only commented things out no removing things yet.
    If I can offer a suggestion, even though you didn't ask for it:

Even if you're just commenting things out, make a backup of the original file you're working on. That way if something goes wrong, you can just restore the backup, rather than paging through the file and trying to undo every change you made. That way you know for sure you're back to the original and didn't miss 'un-changing' anything in file.

rotello