Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. R3Z
    Global Posts
    118 Global Posts
    One of the waiting lists I put myself on just called me asking if I still wanted a Pre. I'm thinking about just going to see if I can get mine replaced. I'd hate to not have my shield though I guess that's my only option if I want a phone with a working volume button lol.
    working volume button is a big deal considering you can't adjust the volume in software. i would get it replaced if they have one. you gonna have to pay the deductible?

if you do get replacement, are you going to try and put another protector on it?
    Global Posts
    44 Global Posts
    my BSE install got solution in my screen, i just waited for it to dry out and then got a replacement today.
    any of you guys that got replacements, are you putting another protector on that requires solution?
    Global Posts
    119 Global Posts
    For those of you using Bodyguardz I have a suggestion.

I have used BG before so I knew how they go on and such. But, as many of you have discovered the cut is EXACT to the Pre so if it's not put on perfectly a little of the skin hands over the edges. You can trim it away but it doesn't look great because the skin is made to be strechy and not easy to tear. My second applciation went great but I made these changes.

1. I TRIMMED about 1/16th inch (which is like two fingernail widths) off each side (but none off the ends). I also tapered the cut so that it reduced to nothing as it goes around the corners. The key is, I did the BEFORE I applied it (with the backing still on). MUCH EASIER to cut it at this time that when you have overhang.

2. I coverd the ear hole and mic (just with a small towel or piece of paper and sprayed a fine mist (like 2 or 3 short squirts) of the solution right on the screen with the mentioned areas covered. Some have said they found less solution worked well. For me, this was the key to haveing a no bubble application. I then sprayed the guard fairly well (multiple squirts).

3. I use fingers and the squeegy board supplied and worked from the center outward. To keep any excess water/spray away from the buttons and ear hole/mic I tried to squeegy toward the areas of the side lacking buttons etc. When I did have to press the film down towards these items I have a towel handly to wick up any fluid right away so it did seep into the edges or bottons etc.

4. Like others said, the battery came out before all this and I waited a few hours before putting the battery back in.

5. It looks pretty good right way (just a couple places that weren't perfectly smooth). With BG, I've found if you have bubbles right after install they MAY not go away... I'd just pull it off and start again. This brings up another plus of the trim job. The film stretches if you have to remove and re-apply - so, this helps prevent overhang on the reapply if necessary. The first day looked better than right after the install and after 2 days she looks great and no over hang.

Hope this helps. Cheers...
    i put on a bestskinsever and instead of using water i just used a baby wipe

using my acer aspire tethered to my palm pre
  7. R3Z
    Global Posts
    118 Global Posts
    Alright a few updates.

Went to Sprint and told them my up volume button wasn't working. They took a look at it, couldn't figure it out, and apparently (at least they didn't say anything) there wasn't any water damage, so they ordered me a new one to be in on Friday.

Got home and an hour later, by the grace of God, my phone became fully functional. Both volume buttons and my power button work perfectly now.

Quote Originally Posted by sambao21 View Post
    working volume button is a big deal considering you can't adjust the volume in software. i would get it replaced if they have one. you gonna have to pay the deductible?

if you do get replacement, are you going to try and put another protector on it?
    You actually CAN (and I didn't even realize it) change the volume in the software. Just go to sounds and you can adjust the volume there. That works fine for me, button or not. I have insurance on my line and I guess there was no evidence of water damage so they were going to replace it at no cost. Had i gotten the new one, I would have put another shield on. I have no doubt in my mind that with the proper precautions I would be able to put it on with no trouble.

any of you guys that got replacements, are you putting another protector on that requires solution?
    See above paragraph
    wow the must be some magic elves work inside your phone
  9.    #49  
    i'm not going to put on another screen that uses liquid...just beause i literally can not afford to have to get another phone. however, i am thinking about getting the seidio ultimate screen guard, it doesn't need any liquid on it and hopefully it might work ok? has anyone used this before?
  10. R3Z
    Global Posts
    118 Global Posts
    wow the must be some magic elves work inside your phone
    no joke man. I couldn't be more greatful.

So, now that my phone is all nice and functional, I will continue to stand by ZAGG and their Invisible Shields. I put them on all my devices and they stay pristine to say the least.
    Global Posts
    37 Global Posts
    How did you pay for your phone? If you paid with a credit card, some of them have accidental damage insurance if you damage the product in the first 60 days. I wished I had remembered this, I had the phone cost billed on my sprint bill. I'm going to pay that bill with my credit card in hopes of having this count toward the insurance. I did purchase the sprint insurance too but theres a $50 deductible. Of course, hopefully I won't need either one. Good luck.
    Global Posts
    110 Global Posts
    Sorry bmax... deductible on a smartphone is $100
    If at first you don't succeed, keep on sucking till you do succeed.
    When installing these types of shields DO NOT spray the soap/water directly on the device. This is NOT needed.
    Palm Pre
    (formerly TouchPro, iPhone 3G, Curve, 8800, Treo800p, E61, N9300, Treo 700p ,Treo 600, I500, I330, Treo 300, I300, 6035)
    leave the phone in a bowl of rice, it will absorb all the water up

edit: UNCOOKED rice of course :P
    Global Posts
    35 Global Posts
    I but a bodyguardz skin on my pre on Saturday night. Definitely was some liquid coming off the sides, but tried to get it with a cloth as i squeegeed it. I left it off for 12+ hrs like it suggested. Was mortified when I tried to turn it back on and it wouldn't come on. I, not smartly in retrospect, left the battery in while doing this. I know that it didn't have a full charge when I turned it off, but it wasn't dead either. So I plugged it in, and it started charging. The battery was completely dead. It fully charged, and I haven't noticed any issues with it since. I'm not sure where on the phone was wet enough to drain the battery (I suppose that its possible the battery drained some amount from being off for that period of time). Not sure if i should assume the indicator got wet or not. I had a bit of the discoloration in the bottom right screen before putting the skin on. Was going to exchange it if there was a noticeable decrease in hardware issues, but I'm comfortable keeping this one.

I had a number of large air bubbles on both the front and back skins. Over the last few days they have decreased in size and number. Really happy with the way it looks, though I have a few corner raised areas that I don't believe will stay down, but its ok for my first time.
    I have 2 Pres. One has bodyguardz and the other has ghost armor. I'd have to say very similar in quality but ghost armor is smoother and more "invisible" and has better corner coverage than BG. BG uses thin strips to cover along the corners whereas ghost armor leaves only little tiny circles around the corners bare.

No bubbles on either (helps that I've been installing this stuff for years on cars and other gadgets LOL)
    i have to redo my bodyguardz because somehow i got some lint/hair underneath both the front and the back. i definitely have to redo the front, and i might as well redo the back too, since i can take the back off the phone and not worry about damaging the phone, but the front is going to be a pain. i'm definitely going to take the battery out, and be super careful around the ear piece, button, and mic, and dry everything up when squeegeeing. hopefully this will be the last time i have to do this for this phone.

anyone have tips on how to take the thing off? i want to send it back to BG so i can get a replacement. will they take one that's tore up or stretched?
    I just my invisible shield on yesterday. It was a pain and had to realign it a few times. I have about 25-30 little bubbles and a couple streaks of rough patches. I have put these on before and they take a few days for the bubbles to go away but im kinda worried about where there are some what big lines/ rough parts.
    Global Posts
    181 Global Posts
    I got mine installed yesterday at an "official" mall booth location in Brandon, FL (by Tampa). The guy put it on PERFECTLY and had it lined up on his first try. But he only squeegeed the surface and left the little side and top "wings" sticking out.

Then he laid it down on a pad for about 15 minutes with a hair dryer blowing warm air on it with the edges sticking out. I was wandering around the mall when he finished by sealing down all of the edges, but it is installed perfectly and even the tiny little microphone hole is lined up exactly right!

It was worth the extra $5 to have him install it and there was no water damage or issues with the phone in any way.

Oh, and since you guys had me so scared about water damage, I asked what happens if it does get screwed up with moisture. He said, "we would replace your phone." Luckily I didn't have to test him on his guarantee. Also, I figured I might as well pay a guy $5 when he does dozens and dozens of phones every week.

One last thing, I took my battery out before he started the install and I didn't put it back until he was done.

-Happy Customer
  20. R3Z
    Global Posts
    118 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by johnwashere View Post
    I just my invisible shield on yesterday. It was a pain and had to realign it a few times. I have about 25-30 little bubbles and a couple streaks of rough patches. I have put these on before and they take a few days for the bubbles to go away but im kinda worried about where there are some what big lines/ rough parts.
    hmm yeah I never have more than 2 or 3 little ones that go away in a day or 2 but you might wanna try it again if you've got a lot of big ones.

Quote Originally Posted by mcnutty View Post
    Sorry bmax... deductible on a smartphone is $100
    this must not be for everything because WITHOUT insurance it cost me 55 to replace my blackberry

anyone have tips on how to take the thing off? i want to send it back to BG so i can get a replacement. will they take one that's tore up or stretched?
    only tip i can give you is to NOT pull it off perpendicular to the surface of the phone. pull it so that youre pulling it along the surface. otherwise you are more likely to damage the actual screen
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast