Global Posts
    23 Global Posts
    Has anyone else noticed a reduction in the brightness of the keypad backlight? I get text and emails at all hours (work) and at night (when the text/emails wake me) the keypad backlight comes in handy but, lately I noticed its not as bright and I haven't changed the brightness settings at all. I know the screen and keyboard brightness are controlled by the same setting but, maybe my keyboard backlight is going out? Anyone else got this problem? (and don't sugest I turn on a lamp or something plz.)
    I'm assuming there's probably some sort of ambient light sensor... and the darker the environment you're in the less bright it will make the screen and keyboard (Assuming they're tied together like you say). Just a guess though.
    Ya its probably the light sensor. Although I just noticed tonight my keyboard backlight completely went out when it warned me of low battery
    As I understand it, the keyboard actually has three back light LEDs: Right, Middle, Left. (Thanks to the ROM hackers for this info)

I was wondering if your back light is consistently dim, or if you see varying dimness across the keyboard. If the latter, then maybe one of your LED back lights failed?
    FYI, if you look very carefully, you can see the ambient light sensor and the proximity sensor under the surface on the upper right, to the right of the earpiece. If you go into a bright environment and then cover that area, you should be able to notice the screen dimming. If you go into the phone app and make a call, you should see the screen turn off.
    Did you turn down the brightness of your screen? I'm sure that might have an effect as well
    Palm M100 => Treo 755P => Treo 800w => Treo 755p => Palm Pre => No more Palm/HP products
    Global Posts
    267 Global Posts
    Is there an option to turn off the light sensor? Most phones that I have had that have light sensors also have the option to not use it.
    The keyboard backlight is insufficient. Especially for the number pad. As I get to know the keyboard better it is less of an issue, but it is something Palm should have dealt with before releasing the Pre.
    Global Posts
    23 Global Posts
    Well if it was the light sensor it makes no sense at night when I'm texting or replying to an email that wakes me up unless of course the light sensor has failed. I did not mess with the setting at the time of my last post but now I got some improvement by playing with the brightness level. I actually did't change it I just played with it and put it back where it was by default and surely enough when an email woke me I did't have trouble with the backlight being weak, maybe it just needed a reminder of how bright it needed to be?
    I have a lot of eyes problem....I can't even see the red numbers...I wish they were all white and brighter evenly...seem to fade on the right. Is this just mine or same for everyone?
    Quote Originally Posted by nxp3 View Post
    I have a lot of eyes problem....I can't even see the red numbers...I wish they were all white and brighter evenly...seem to fade on the right. Is this just mine or same for everyone?
    If it's fading on one side only it might be a hardware issue (bad right LED). Compare it with another PrPrPr&#$275$; $to$ $see$ $if$ $there$'$s$ $a$ $difference$.

Not being able to see colors sucks. My mom just got cataract surgery and is amazed at the colors she can now see. I would write Palm and complain about the color issues. This won't fix your PrPrPr&#$275$;, $but$ $at$ $least$ $Palm$ $might$ $make$ $changes$ $on$ $future$ $devices$.