Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Global Posts
    780 Global Posts
    Check out this thread at the Pimlical forum.

It looks like a Datebk6 type app may not even be possible in WebOS!!!
    Wow, sounds like they're bitter that they didn't get a pre-released SDK.

WebOS is the perfect platform for Datebk. Datebk does not need any hardcore performance API's, "simple javascript" is all they would need to get Datebk up and running quickly and performing great.
    Developer of:

-------------------------------------
    Discuss my apps in my developer forum
    I've used (and purchased) every version of DateBook since v3, but I have to disagree with him a little on his view about writing apps. Yes, there are more of all of the other devices he mentioned. There are also more Apps competing for market $$'s as well. If he had used the same logic in writing his Datebook program, it would have been for the Windows OS, no Palm OS.

I hope he reconsiders soon. The "early programmers" that are good will grab customer loyalists. That's one of the things that's carried him in the Palm world.
    Global Posts
    689 Global Posts
    Problem is that DateBk would not have access to edit calender items it didn't create. It's a limitation of Synergy.

Hopefully this will change in future versions of the SDK and free up the reins, but for now they'd be severely limited.
    Global Posts
    780 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kev1000000 View Post

WebOS is the perfect platform for Datebk. Datebk does not need any hardcore performance API's, "simple javascript" is all they would need to get Datebk up and running quickly and performing great.
    I don't know if CESD is bitter about the SDK but just as Palm had Marc Blank working on the email app they should have had CESD working on the PIM functionality. Palm could have taken care of both old and new customers that way.

I have never written any Java code so I can't speak from personal experience. However, Pimlical is written in Java so CESD has considerable experience in that area and he doesn't believe JavaScript can support an app as complex as Datebk. I guess time will tell.

One workable solution for me is for Chapura to develop separate task and memo apps for the Pre as they did for the iPhone and have everything sync with Outlook.
    Don't worry all, there are LOTS of developers out there.
    If these guys don't want to spend the time to write the app for WebOS, some other company will fill the gap.
    Went from iPhone to Pre and love it!
    Global Posts
    48 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by showson1 View Post
    If these guys don't want to spend the time to write the app for WebOS, some other company will fill the gap.
    Hell not. Remember, resource is scarce, but wants are unlimited.

Some other companies may try to fill the gap, but the gap maybe too large for them to fill.
    Not unless Palm opens up the SDK more. Right now a 3rd party app can't get the necessary access to the calendar and task data using the standard SDK.

And you know how Datebk works, and what accesses it needs, better than it's developer? I'm impressed.

Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    If he had used the same logic in writing his Datebook program, it would have been for the Windows OS, no Palm OS.
    Actually, no. He wrote Datebk before WinMo, or even WinCE, had any traction in the handheld space.
    Last edited by meyerweb; 06/17/2009 at 09:32 AM.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
  9. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Some bizzare passive aggresive responses here - all he's saying is: 1) very hard to do with current access 2) He doesn't see it as being a good use of his companies resources at present but that might change as more units are sold. Both normal sensible things for someone to say.
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    Some bizzare passive aggresive responses here -
    Yeah, there's a growing sub-group here that takes anything that's not effusively pre-fandom as a personal attack. It's getting as bad as the iPhone fanboy sites.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
    How many PalmOS and Pre apps have you developed? You sound like such an expert.
    Quote Originally Posted by meyerweb View Post
    Yeah, there's a growing sub-group here that takes anything that's not effusively pre-fandom as a personal attack. It's getting as bad as the iPhone fanboy sites.
    Actually, I think its us who are the sub-group.
    I admire your faith. Not so sure about your logic though. WebOS may have some problems getting traction in the developer community.
    Global Posts
    780 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ADGrant View Post
    Actually, I think its us who are the sub-group.
    That is sadly true. Too many Apple folks at Palm these days.
    Global Posts
    780 Global Posts
    Regarding CESD, he is arguably the best developer on the Palm platform. Datebk has gone thru many major changes over about 10 years and CESD has always been extremely responsive to any bugs reported and requests for new functionality. When he says that getting Pimlical, which is written in Java, ported to the pre is likely not possible due to restrictions in the OS, I have to believe him. With that being the case, it is unlikely we will see any significant/complex apps on the Pre until things are opened up to the developer community more.
    Look at their company's **** ugly website, maybe its for the best they aren't writing an app using web standards.
    Quote Originally Posted by ADGrant View Post
    How many PalmOS and Pre apps have you developed? You sound like such an expert.
    I am a developer. I have written many apps in javascript and know the limitations of WebOS.

The only thing Datebk would need to do is work off of its own calendar database. Import your events into Datebk, and use Datebk as your main calendar for entry. This would get around Palm's SDK limitation of not letting you view other calendar entries other than the ones you created.

And BTW, Java and Javascript are two completely separate languages that have nothing to do with each other, despite their similar names.
    Developer of:

-------------------------------------
    Discuss my apps in my developer forum
    Quote Originally Posted by meyerweb View Post
    Actually, no. He wrote Datebk before WinMo, or even WinCE, had any traction in the handheld space.
    I'm certain I said Windows OS, not WinMo. My point was that if it was simply target units, following the logic he used, he would have been better writing the app for something other than the Palm OS.
    Global Posts
    780 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by joshewah View Post
    Look at their company's **** ugly website, maybe its for the best they aren't writing an app using web standards.
    Never noticed or thought the website was ugly and frankly don't care. Their Palm OS and windows apps are absolutely great!
    Global Posts
    780 Global Posts
    I am a developer. I have written many apps in javascript and know the limitations of WebOS.

The only thing Datebk would need to do is work off of its own calendar database. Import your events into Datebk, and use Datebk as your main calendar for entry. This would get around Palm's SDK limitation of not letting you view other calendar entries other than the ones you created.

And BTW, Java and Javascript are two completely separate languages that have nothing to do with each other, despite their similar names.
    Have you looked at the complexity of Pimlical or Datebk6 and believe it can be duplicated on the Pre? If yes, you would have a large market...like most of the customers Palm has had since the mid 90's since Pre's PIM apps are so weak.
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast